Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there an itemized list of the costs of music licensing, master tape restoration, Blu-ray (audio mostly) authoring and manufacturing, maybe all (9?) Chicago quad albums (previous Quadio release) could be placed on one (maybe multilayer) Blu-ray disc (only the quad mixes since the stereo mixes have been available for decades in a variety of formats).

Maybe $60 to $70 for all Chicago quad albums on one disc.

Kirk Bayne
Lots of creative ideas to bring on more releases. But Rhino has hit upon a price per disc that seems to work across the board, single albums per release, price per disc and bundled 4-packs. I doubt that they have any plans to detour from this strategy very soon. I hope they are able to keep the cost per album and for each disc the same for the time being, and not mess with something that is working.

What I would like to see released is:

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker (only released on Q8)
Focus - Moving Waves (only on Q8)
Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly (a better album than Red Octopus)
Jefferson Airplane - Bark & The Worst
Of Course, Bridge Over Troubled Waters and the Three Paul Simon albums
I wish Rhino had the rights to some of those. Sony has the Simon/Simon & Garfunkel albums as well as The Worst of the Airplane. Rhino does have Bark and Dragonfly. UMG has the Steve Miller Band. (I may be the only one who would be thrilled with Miller's Recall The Beginning...A Journey From Eden. Side two of that album is, IMO, stunning.)

What I would like to see released is:

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker (only released on Q8)
Focus - Moving Waves (only on Q8)
Jefferson Starship - Dragon Fly (a better album than Red Octopus)
Jefferson Airplane - Bark & The Worst
Of Course, Bridge Over Troubled Waters and the Three Paul Simon albums
Focus had a box set re-issue of their albums earlier in 2023 and I asked why no Quad and the response from the production staff was that they could not find the multi track tapes. (UMG fire?) Personally I would have thought that the masters would have been kept in Holland....

You know I've been thinking about something. I'm up late and would not be able to sleep if my life depended on it. So I may as well ramble on here a bit. There has been consideration of reissuing the Chicago Quadio box set. And perhaps also the albums as separate releases in quad. In my opinion the Greatest Hits album would seem the most satisfying single album release of the bunch for the person simply not into one-hundred+ dollar box sets.

But in order to do something special with this release, to draw in more potential buyers, and yet still retain the tracks and order sequence which made it a fairly massive seller to begin with I thought of something worth considering.

Rhino could assemble a Quadio issue of this album that plays the edited "hit" versions of the songs on one menu selection, and on another you get to hear all of the songs in quad but in their full length versions. A longer running time of course for the full length cuts in quad. A expanded deluxe Greatest Hits with no need to add any additional hits. A bit more work in the mastering involved, but the A&R team did state that they are looking into developing more things for Quadio and surround. This would create a sort of exclusive standalone item.

No? ok then never mind I was just thinking out loud anyway.
Actually, a greatest hits Chicago Quadio would be a great thing, especially if it could be expanded to include tracks, newly remixed for quad, from their post-Columbia Warner Brothers albums. I'd be all over something like that!

Actually, a greatest hits Chicago Quadio would be a great thing, especially if it could be expanded to include tracks, newly remixed for quad, from their post-Columbia Warner Brothers albums. I'd be all over something like that!
I’d take a newly remixed quad of Chicago XI, that way we’d have every Kath-era studio record in quad. XI unfortunately just missed the boat on quad, it was released September 1977.

I’d love to hear one of my favourite Kath tunes, “Takin It On Uptown” in quad!

The "Greatest Hits" album was one that I never had any interests in. All the tracks were on the other albums and some of their best "hits" were missed! Notably I'm a Man, Lowdown and Dialogue. Myself I would prefer a complete singles collection!

You know I've been thinking about something. I'm up late and would not be able to sleep if my life depended on it. So I may as well ramble on here a bit. There has been consideration of reissuing the Chicago Quadio box set. And perhaps also the albums as separate releases in quad. In my opinion the Greatest Hits album would seem the most satisfying single album release of the bunch for the person simply not into one-hundred+ dollar box sets.

But in order to do something special with this release, to draw in more potential buyers, and yet still retain the tracks and order sequence which made it a fairly massive seller to begin with I thought of something worth considering.

Rhino could assemble a Quadio issue of this album that plays the edited "hit" versions of the songs on one menu selection, and on another you get to hear all of the songs in quad but in their full length versions. A longer running time of course for the full length cuts in quad. A expanded deluxe Greatest Hits with no need to add any additional hits. A bit more work in the mastering involved, but the A&R team did state that they are looking into developing more things for Quadio and surround. This would create a sort of exclusive standalone item.

No? ok then never mind I was just thinking out loud anyway.
There are only 3 edited tracks on the GH album. — Beginnings, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? and Make Me Smile

Would also offering full length versions of these three tracks really increase sales by much?

I could be wrong, but my guess would be that those interested only in the GH album but not the originals aren’t really going to be all that interested in the piano solo intro to Does Anybody or an extra minute and a half of percussion at the end of Beginnings.

🤷‍♂️

The "Greatest Hits" album was one that I never had any interests in. All the tracks were on the other albums and some of their best "hits" were missed! Notably I'm a Man, Lowdown and Dialogue. Myself I would prefer a complete singles collection!

But as far as being a “Greatest Hits” album it is one album that actually meets the demands of the title—

10 of the 11 tracks all reached the Billboard Top 10 and the 11th (“Wishing You Were Here”) stalled at -#11!

But as far as being a “Greatest Hits” album it is one album that actually meets the demands of the title—

10 of the 11 tracks all reached the Billboard Top 10 and the 11th (“Wishing You Were Here”) stalled at -#11!
True, but in my mind at least "Lowdown" was about their Greatest Hit. I remember it getting a lot of airplay on stations such as WLS! I do recognize that my mind is very selective about music. I can hear a track that I like a few times (or even once) and remember it years later.
While music that I don't care for that gets heavy rotation I very often couldn't tell you who or what it is!

It would be best to call a hits package "Best of" or maybe "All the Hits!" and include all/most of the singles. As a hit's package it should include the single versions, if you want the longer album version you should get the original album.

When I started buying LP's most of my purchases were Greatest Hits or Best Of packages. I soon discovered that very often there were album tracks that were much better than the hits!

True, but in my mind at least "Lowdown" was about their Greatest Hit. I remember it getting a lot of airplay on stations such as WLS! I do recognize that my mind is very selective about music. I can hear a track that I like a few times (or even once) and remember it years later.
While music that I don't care for that gets heavy rotation I very often couldn't tell you who or what it is!

It would be best to call a hits package "Best of" or maybe "All the Hits!" and include all/most of the singles. As a hit's package it should include the single versions, if you want the longer album version you should get the original album.

When I started buying LP's most of my purchases were Greatest Hits or Best Of packages. I soon discovered that very often there were album tracks that were much better than the hits!
“Lowdown” peaked at #35. It would have probably caused some consternation to include that track at the expense of one of the others.

As GH albums are for more casual fans of bands that haven’t bought all the original albums, the Chicago GH pretty much nails it, it seems to me.

“Lowdown” peaked at #35. It would have probably caused some consternation to include that track at the expense of one of the others.

As GH albums are for more casual fans of bands that haven’t bought all the original albums, the Chicago GH pretty much nails it, it seems to me.
It should have peaked much higher! The best tracks are not usually the Greatest Hits!

It should have peaked much higher! The best tracks are not usually the Greatest Hits!

Can’t please everyone I guess!

FWIW, if they WERE to have chosen one of the lesser singles, that would have been my last choice personally. Dialogue, Free and Questions 67 and 68 were all better tracks IMO. (And all charted higher. 😁 )

Back