Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received me disc today. Was never into Gentle Giant and wasn't really thrilled with the lead singer's voice when I first heard the album on YouTube. I'm glad that it prepared me for the disc which I bought because of SW's mix. Well I can tell you from the very first listen that I love this disc and I'm freakin' hooked. Awesome mix, great separation. Every instrument is so clear and defined. And I've gotten used to the singer. I love discovering new old music. Thanks to the members of QQ who pushed me in this direction. You guys rock!

EDIT: Cool visuals too!

No show at BBY and FYE. And I don't want to pay AMZs new improved jacked up price. Looks like I'm going without.

Pretty awesome listening to bits this evening(in the background) while doing family stuff. 5.1 from the blu ray. Interesting video accompaniment for each tune. Will have to give this a thorough listen tomorrow or the next day.:sun

Steven Wilson co-hosted the "Prog Magazine" radio show this weekend with Tim Bowness of no-man.
He opened the first show with "Cogs in Cogs".

Here are the playlists and both shows can be listened to on demand on the Team Rock Radio website. http://www.teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/the-prog-magazine-show

Here are the playlists:

July 19:

Gentle Giant - Cogs in Cogs
Kate Bush - Delius (Song of Summer)
This Heat - Horizontal Hold
Anathema - Distant Satellites
Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horsemen
Portishead - Hunter
Pink Floyd - Summer of 68
Premiata Forneria Marconi - L'isola di niente
Family - Mellowing Grey
Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch
Magazine - Definitive Gaze
Talk Talk - I Believe in You
Roxy Music - Ladytron
XTC - Easter Theatre
Cardiacs - The Duck and Roger the Horse
Roy Harper - Twelve Hours of Sunset
Frank Zappa - Watermelon in Easter Hay

July 20:

IQ - The Wake
Egg - A Visit to Newport Hospital
Matt Berry - Music for Insomniacs
10cc - I'm Mandy Fly Me
Can - Future Days
Massive Attack - Butterfly Caught
The Alan Parsons Project - To One in Paradise
Van der Graaf Generator - Scorched Earth
Syd Barrett - No Good Trying
Camel - Echoes
Swans - A Little God In My Hands
Judee Sill - The Donor
Ange - Biafra 80 (Introduction)
Magma - Slag Tanz
Sigur Ros - Dauðalogn

Steven Wilson co-hosted the "Prog Magazine" radio show this weekend with Tim Bowness of no-man.

Here are the playlists and both shows can be listened to on demand on the Team Rock Radio website. http://www.teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/the-prog-magazine-show

Here are the playlists:

July 19:

Portishead - Hunter
Family - Mellowing Grey
Roxy Music - Ladytron
XTC - Easter Theatre

July 20:

IQ - The Wake
10cc - I'm Mandy Fly Me
Can - Future Days
Camel - Echoes
Judee Sill - The Donor
Magma - Slag Tanz
Sigur Ros - Dauðalogn

Yep, I'll take SW 5.1's of any/all of that lot..! :D

Anybody see this little bit concerning TP&TG in the latest Prog magazine?

Following on from the 2010 re-release of the conceptual record, this revised edition includes new mixes by Steven Wilson as well as two bonus tracks. "We'd been asked to do mixes before but were always reluctant," explains co-founding member Ray Shulman. "I'd been working with Steven on his solo DVDs and Blu-Rays so finding out that he was a fan prompted us to work together."
Despite the partial reunions of the last 10 years, Shulman is adamant that Gentle Giant definitely won't be reforming, not even for a one-off concert. However, more reissues and maybe even some vintage live albums could well be on the cards. "We found some old concert audio from the eve of the American bicentennial in July 1976," says the musician. "It's quite good quality so we might do something with that - there are some rare live recordings of songs we didn't normally do on there. As for more remixed albums, we're just working out which one to do next so we should have something ready for next year."

I like the sound of that!! (especially if it means "Octopus and/or "In a Glass House" in surround sound) :D

$12.48 plus $3 shipping at importcds.com in case anyone hasn't ordered one yet (like me, who just did).

Maybe not the best price ever but it sure beats amazon's $18.98 plus $4 shipping.

Be sure to order the one with UPC code 804471000206

Great mix, I always loved Proclamation and its reprise at the end. Jon going to set up a poll? Also, anyone else experience a slight hiccup on the disc during The Face? A small matter. The accompanying videos are the best I can recall on any surround disc, oddly I saw no credit for them anywhere. Are those Ray Shulman's work?

Last edited:

I'll have to give those shows a listen. I'm not familiar with most of the music on the lists, but Watermelon in Easter Hay and To One in Paradise are both beautiful songs.

Wow HD do not even have this title, even though they listed it and took my money! I was expecting this to arrive on the 22nd but no stock. Atrocious service.

Here are the playlists:

July 19:

Portishead - Hunter
Family - Mellowing Grey
Roxy Music - Ladytron
XTC - Easter Theatre

July 20:

IQ - The Wake
10cc - I'm Mandy Fly Me
Can - Future Days
Camel - Echoes
Judee Sill - The Donor
Magma - Slag Tanz
Sigur Ros - Dauðalogn

SW likes Zappa! If only he could mix a few of Frank's title's, that would be immense.

SW likes Zappa! If only he could mix a few of Frank's title's, that would be immense.

Good luck with that SW & co.. Wasn't it Dweezil who scuppered the chances of more Zappa in surround by saying in an interview one time he'd like to do more 5.1 but no point nobody wants this stuff..!? :mad:@:

$12.48 plus $3 shipping at importcds.com in case anyone hasn't ordered one yet (like me, who just did).

Maybe not the best price ever but it sure beats amazon's $18.98 plus $4 shipping.

Be sure to order the one with UPC code 804471000206

I just received an e-mail from amazon.com telling me that their pre-order price guarantee kicked in and I was only charged $13.68! Still haven't received the package yet (maybe tonight when I get home?).

J. D.

Displays of demonstrative enthusiasm are usually not in my nature, but after one listen all I can say is:

(y) :):banana::D:sun:bounce (y) :):banana::D:sun:bounce (y) :):banana::D:sun:bounce (y) :):banana::D:sun:bounce

I just received an e-mail from amazon.com telling me that their pre-order price guarantee kicked in and I was only charged $13.68! Still haven't received the package yet (maybe tonight when I get home?).

J. D.

Pre Order guarantee is a joke sometimes twice now they have refunded me 0.01p because of the it. god knows how much that costs them in processing fees

Pre Order guarantee is a joke sometimes twice now they have refunded me 0.01p because of the it. god knows how much that costs them in processing fees

Exactly.png

Great mix, I always loved Proclamation and its reprise at the end. Jon going to set up a poll? Also, anyone else experience a slight hiccup on the disc during The Face? A small matter. The accompanying videos are the best I can recall on any surround disc, oddly I saw no credit for them anywhere. Are those Ray Shulman's work?

According to http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ , Ray Shulman is responsible for the visuals. And they are mesmerizing!

Back