Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Duncan & rusinurbe: The Power & The Glory most certainly does not go in the backlog pile. It goes directly into your disc player. Do you need me to draw you a map??? (y)

@PK: I ordered two Power & Glory BluRays from Amazon when they were $13.46 each. :D

To quote the great GG "Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It"

Makes you wonder why HFPA discs are so expensive when you cab get this so cheep

Exactly, Good Sir r.u. Simple supply & demand. GG Power & Glory never would have even been considered to be budgeted to mix in 5.1 & re-released if it were not for the love Steven Wilson has for this recording. But they must price it cheap due to few people being wise to the brilliance of Gentle Giant.

The PureAudio Blue Rays or even worse, the box sets are just another case of us getting raped by big bully corporations because they hold all the power on whether to release music in 5.1 or otherwise.

Actually I try to forget the rip-off prices I pay for 5.1 music that I love to listen to. Its kinda like getting married - you just say goodbye to all your $$$ and don't ever think about it again! :yikes

And this little tidbit may be found on the GG Facebook page:

Gentle Giant thinking about 'Octopus' for next Steven Wilson remix!!
Thoughts??
Also a new never heard before double live album before Christmas..

It was posted by the administrator within the comment section.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GENTLE-GIANT/121160188790

It would want to be better than the 5 CD box that came out last year. Those songs were mostly poorly recorded Audience recordings including their final ever show in mono audience recorded crapy sound.
If they have a new live show coming out I would want it to sound great.

Thoughts??

Duh_obviously.gif

or how bout:

duh-duh.jpg

and....How bout this???

AmazonGood.png

and....How bout this???

Delivered.png

Last edited:
And this little tidbit may be found on the GG Facebook page:

Thoughts??
Also a new never heard before double live album before Christmas..

It was posted by the administrator within the comment section.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GENTLE-GIANT/121160188790

Either "Octopus" or "In a Glass House" work as the next remix for me. Then after that they should remix the first three albums in no particular order.

I won't pollute the poll thread with my comments so I'll put them here. I apparently just don't get Gentle Giant. I wish I did given how great the blu-ray of this album is. Nice animations and interesting mix by SW. I've tried the first two in this re-release series and I think I'm out (although I gave it a fair shot). You guys who like this band, you should be in heaven.

For those who haven't yet enjoyed PTF or dismissed it out of hand for being a live album, it truly smokes! It clearly proves they can play it live, covering all eras, they add clever re-arrangements and beautiful segues to familiar favorites.
Saw them play 5 times at the height of their powers...

From QQ deep space

Whoops. I guess I was referring to the 96/24 DTS mix of Interview from a couple of years ago. I had forgotten that was an unreleased quad mix.

Ah. I guessed as much, but I also wondered whether I had missed another SW mix. I didn't really listen to much Gentle Giant until about six months ago. I like them, but I can see how they'd not be everyone's cup of tea. My "P & G" has shipped, and I'm looking forward to it.

I won't pollute the poll thread with my comments so I'll put them here. I apparently just don't get Gentle Giant. I wish I did given how great the blu-ray of this album is. Nice animations and interesting mix by SW. I've tried the first two in this re-release series and I think I'm out (although I gave it a fair shot). You guys who like this band, you should be in heaven.

Hi stormchaser, :)

What other bands do you listen to? So I may gain some perspective about where you are coming from.

I dare say complex bands like YES, ELP, Genesis, etc... are still "easy access" compared to Gentle Giant. Gentle Giant seemed intent on stretching musical compositions & recording as far as possible.
So they aren't for everybody. Kinda like King Crimson(I enjoy KC on occasion - but I do not love that band like many here do....)

Gentle Giant has different listening experiences on their different albums. They do not have butter smooth harmonies or catchy vocal hooks, but they do have "off the charts" musical virtuosity that does in fact deliver a cohesive listening experience if one devotes one's full attention to it. It is not "whistle while you work" music, though.

Have you heard Gentle Giant - Free Hand?

Cheers!

DMJ

For those who haven't yet enjoyed PTF or dismissed it out of hand for being a live album, it truly smokes! It clearly proves they can play it live, covering all eras, they add clever re-arrangements and beautiful segues to familiar favorites.
Saw them play 5 times at the height of their powers...

Hello my friend! :)

Did you see them on a triple bill?

I couldn't agree more: Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool is extraordinary. It captures the extreme abilities of the band and how they could improvise as a group but still perfom music versus "jam".
It is recorded pretty well. That record is a high water mark for progressive music performed live.

Bad News Dept: Steven Wilson seems pretty adament that he will not be doing any live record until he gets through all the studio stuff he thinks needs a 5.1 remix.
So our only hope is that another artist or sound professional decides to raise the flag for live music in 5.1. There is SO much live stuff that needs it!

ELP - Welcome Back....
Yes - Yessongs
Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool
Renaissance - Live At Carnegie Hall
Rush - uh... ALL their live recordings....
Genesis - Seconds Out(what is in the Live box is not 5.1)

Back