Greatest Quits: Top Ten Unreleased Quad Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Dolby Surround was a diamond not a square and the surround was really a monophonic & freq limited channel (7khz max) even when played with 2 speakers. Hardly "blew everything else out of the water". As I understand it, Dolby licensed Sansui's QS and then modified it to suit their main purpose for cinema/video, not for music, since the surround was freq limited. So I have to join the disagreers on the comment.

Last edited:
I think it's important, just in the name of historical accuracy, to make a distinction between "announced" titles, and mixes that were mentioned by engineers or producers in trade publications like Billboard etc.

In this case those Warner titles come from just such a source, the Morrison and Cooder information is from an interview snippet with Ted Templeman, and the Morrison title could've just as easily been St. Dominic's Preview (or even Tupelo Honey) as WB was mixing things in quad from at least 1971, if not earlier.

Not that it should matter steely because we will never see them released , but Ted Templeton does state "the latest"
in that August 04 1973 interview.(page 49). Van Morrison's-Hard Nose The Highway is advertised in the next 2weeks issue.
They had started in at least 1971 mixing multi's in quad. This according to Jac Holzman pres. of Electra Records in the August 11 1973 issue.(page 06)... They being WEA .

Personally I would prefer it be Van Morrison-Tupelo Honey or St Dominic's Preview.

As to the "Neil Young -Time Fades Away, or Tonights The Night":(I had the title incorrect btw)

The quote reads "we're trying to get new product such as the Neil Young out, because much of this is recorded in 4 channel "

So at least one was completed .

But I digress , as we won't ever see any of the aforementioned quads released.

Not true. Warner stopped issuing quad product in 1975, but CBS kept going until mid-1977.

FWIW :
WEA released CD-4 albums up until 1976 in EUROPE.
I could be wrong but, I thought CBS had releases until 1978 .
And RCA had CD-4 releases in at least 1978 .
Not too certain with Arista , maybe one CD-4 in 78.

Not true. Warner stopped issuing quad product in 1975, but CBS kept going until mid-1977.

I didn't say that all record companies discontinued quad at the same time.

I said that each record company discontinued all of its own quad products at the same time.

Angel and Vox kept going until 1980.

FWIW :
WEA released CD-4 albums up until 1976 in EUROPE.
I could be wrong but, I thought CBS had releases until 1978 .
And RCA had CD-4 releases in at least 1978 .
Not too certain with Arista , maybe one CD-4 in 78.
Last SQ LP I got was Mike Oldfield's Exposed for £4.99 in Sept/Oct. 1979, first time I heard it in Quad though was a year or so ago when I got my SM2!!
Edit: last new release, I have bought 2nd hand LPs
CCF_000247.jpg

Last edited:
Are all editions of Exposed SQ encoded?
The American issue LP makes no mention of quadraphonic if I remember correctly.

Are all editions of Exposed SQ encoded?
The American issue LP makes no mention of quadraphonic if I remember correctly.
Mine has a sticker saying limited edition of 100,000 for a double LP at the price of a single hence £4.99 in 1979. Decodes well with the SM2. Though I can't guarantee it or prove it, I think it was a single inventory release (maybe only in the UK), so all copies including CDs might well be SQ encoded.

Mine has a sticker saying limited edition of 100,000 for a double LP at the price of a single hence £4.99 in 1979. Decodes well with the SM2. Though I can't guarantee it or prove it, I think it was a single inventory release (maybe only in the UK), so all copies including CDs might well be SQ encoded.

Yes , they were all single inventory SQ , including my CD .

"

Attachments

• 1617825878947-342709215.jpg
    1617825878947-342709215.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1617825919368-92884286.jpg
    1617825919368-92884286.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 16178259547871132577215.jpg
    16178259547871132577215.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 85
Some other listed Schwann catalogue quads that never got released :

Joe Walsh - So What
Jethro Tull - M.U. Best of
Black Oak Arkansas - Street Party
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Aretha Franklin - With Everything I Feel
Eddie Harris - Sings The Blues
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado
Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold
Cat Stevens - Numbers
Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy
Z Z Top - Fandango

××××

"An SQ Quadrophonic recording."

I don't recall seeing the "Quadrophonic" spelling used on any official USA Quad albums, although my Pink Floyd SQ album (German) says "Quadrophone".

Kirk Bayne

And from a variety of sources , such as Billboard Magazine , London Records , and Sansui's The 4channel Scene.

Rod Stewart - Smiler
Charles Earland -(title on Arista )
Herb Pilhofer - Music That works 2
Tim Weisberg -Tim Weisberg 4
Graeme Edge and Adrian Gurvitz - Kick Off Your Muddy Boots
Neil Diamond - Beautiful Noise
Motown Productions Film - A Night In Westwood Disco

Caravan -For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Bob Marley - Natty Dread

Three Dog Night -Joy To The World, Greatest Hits

Joe Travers, the Zappa "vaultmeister," has confirmed that One Size Fits All was never mixed into quad. 😥

Joe has also confirmed that FZ did complete a quad mix of Roxy and Elsewhere and that mix is in the Zappa vault.

Sadly I know .

FWIW ;
As per Billboard Frank Zappa mixed most of his live recordings in quad , but mostly ambience in the rears.
(Jan 12 1974 pages 14,18, and 39)

Back