• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Jimi Hendrix - Royal Albert Hall Film

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

mrcond

QQ Supporter
Well this is certainly interesting:

Sound mixed by Eddie Kramer. It says no current plans for a widespread release but can a blu-ray be far behind? Let the speculation begin!

watsontr

400 Club - QQ All-Star
This has been coming forever. There was a dodgy VHS of it in the 80s (not quite legitimate I think?) but the Hendrix establishment have been at loggerheads with Gold and Goldstein forever. Hoping that it is just the film and not the dodgy, ancient special effects that were included previously. This same dispute is why the later version of In the West has different tracks. The first version claimed the tracks were recorded in the West like the superb Red House from San Diego. Unfortunately the versions of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Little Wing (superb live version) we’re actually from the Royal Albert Hall

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
This has been coming forever. There was a dodgy VHS of it in the 80s (not quite legitimate I think?) but the Hendrix establishment have been at loggerheads with Gold and Goldstein forever. Hoping that it is just the film and not the dodgy, ancient special effects that were included previously. This same dispute is why the later version of In the West has different tracks. The first version claimed the tracks were recorded in the West like the superb Red House from San Diego. Unfortunately the versions of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Little Wing (superb live version) we’re actually from the Royal Albert Hall
It is possible that this one-off showing is an attempt to buttress the copyright claim, which goes public domain if not released in some form. That was thought to be the reason behind the limited Pink Floyd release of 1965 recordings prior to the release of The Early Years box. To the best of my knowledge (no real insider info), the Gold and Goldstein disagreements continue. Many versions of this circulate among collectors, but none are the best quality that an official release could offer. As for surround, see Berkeley, Woodstock, and others to be pre-disappointed.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
As for surround, see Berkeley, Woodstock, and others to be pre-disappointed
I‘m hoping Kramer has done a great surround mix aka Electric Ladyland, but expect to be disappointed.

Regardless, I’d buy just to add this to my concert collection. Berkeley can be bettered.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I‘m hoping Kramer has done a great surround mix aka Electric Ladyland, but expect to be disappointed.

Regardless, I’d buy just to add this to my concert collection. Berkeley can be bettered.
Oh, I will be buying this for sure - no question - but not for the surround.

watsontr

400 Club - QQ All-Star
There's not a real lot to work with as I imagine that they are using 8 track tape as was used later. The assignments would be something like
1) Vocal
2) Snare
3) Kick
4) Overhead
5) Guitar
6) Bass
7) Audience
8) Sync (?)
Though there have been good mixes accomplished from the above and from memory the snare is in everything but the guitar mike!