HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
The Ludwig credit is for the *stereo remaster* of 2014, included on the BluRay

The DVDA, SACD and BluRay surround mixes are virtually identical and are all derived from the 2003 mix. So unless someone points out specific measurable differences (not including fadeout/in) I'm calling sighted listening BS on such claims.
the lack of fade-in on "Social Disease" on the Blu-ray was the main difference from what i could tell. apart from that, any differences seemed so very minor as to have no impact when listening.

Yes - you are correct. On the booklet is does say "2014 remaster" by Bob Ludwig - he certainly made a lot of changes to the levels!
Mastering never involves changes to the levels, unless the label and engineers would find it necessary to balancing out the channels, meaning upping or lowering the volume on one or more -entire channel- of the 5 (or boosting the LFE) to correct a distracting volume imbalance. If that were done, boosting the channels, I would expect that the mixing engineer and/or the producer would be consulted or would have requested the correction. Perhaps an out of phase channel problem on a multichannel could be corrected in mastering, but I’ve not heard of that.

Mastering can only improve the fidelity of the transfer from the masters, which can positively or negatively impact the definition of some instruments and vocal parts, but not in terms of levels, not in terms of the level of a guitar, keyboard, etc. Ludwig is a great mastering engineer, but he would not mess with the mix on a mastering job.

Mastering can only improve the fidelity of the transfer from the masters,

....unless it doesn't. ;> There are plenty of examples across CD history where new mastering seems to have made the recording sound *worse* than previous masterings. Usually involving excessive use of 1) compression or/and 2) re-EQ or/and 3) noise reduction.

Last edited:
....unless it doesn't. ;> There are plenty of examples across CD history where new mastering seems to have made the recording sound *worse* than previous masterings. Usually involving excessive use of 1) compression or/and 2) re-EQ or/and 3) noise reduction.
Absolutely yes.

A little bright on my system so it would have been an 8 but gave it a 9 as it was a 30 year old tape when originally converted. Classic Sir Elton!

Someone gave this a “4”?? 🤣🤣🤣
Without leaving a comment???
Oh yeah. There is a small group of members who do not post, or have not posted in months or even many years, and all of their disc ratings are 3, 4, 5, and the like. And since they are not called out on their B.S. they keep doing it.

Look at the Doobies Quadio box, rated 4 and 5 by members who have been around for many years and hardly never post comments, and never give us a clue on why they rate so low. Another member same deal, all really low ratings and never a comment. It's just not helpful without a comment, I have no issue with them not liking the discs, then why not state why? It's cowardly.

I can't believe I voted on this album, yet never commented. I gave it a solid 10. I have it in all three formats, and I did a comparison of the three. In all honesty, they were all so close, I couldn't say any one was better than the others. It's truly demo quality, as are Elton's other SACD albums. I'd love to see UMG go back to the vaults, and do BD-A's on those albums of Elton's that didn't already receive the surround treatment. Realistically, though, it may not be possible. The fire may have destroyed them, but you'd think there are other copies in Europe and Japan,

Oh yeah. There is a small group of members who do not post, or have not posted in months or even many years, and all of their disc ratings are 3, 4, 5, and the like. And since they are not called out on their B.S. they keep doing it.

Look at the Doobies Quadio box, rated 4 and 5 by members who have been around for many years and hardly never post comments, and never give us a clue on why they rate so low. Another member same deal, all really low ratings and never a comment. It's just not helpful without a comment, I have no issue with them not liking the discs, then why not state why? It's cowardly.
I think anything less than an 8 demands an explanation, I often score without a comment but would never leave a bad mark without justifying it

I question whether most of these types even own/have listened to the discs.

I can't believe I voted on this album, yet never commented. I gave it a solid 10. I have it in all three formats, and I did a comparison of the three. In all honesty, they were all so close, I couldn't say any one was better than the others. It's truly demo quality, as are Elton's other SACD albums. I'd love to see UMG go back to the vaults, and do BD-A's on those albums of Elton's that didn't already receive the surround treatment. Realistically, though, it may not be possible. The fire may have destroyed them, but you'd think there are other copies in Europe and Japan,
Likely most of his multi-tracks have been kept in the UK. We can presume they still exist because there is the Atmos mix of the “Diamonds” compilation available for streaming.

9. I have the SACD. Well it's too bright so I can't turn up the volume as much as I want, but it's a very good sounding mix

9. I have the SACD. Well it's too bright so I can't turn up the volume as much as I want, but it's a very good sounding mix
The blu-ray is even brighter. I have both.

I have the dvd-a and haven't noticed it being too bright. Anyone else?

Of course everyone's system is different. Ears as well- doubt if these old ears can hear much above 16khz, if even that high.

You guys keep telling yourselves these stories about brightness across formats.

Meanwhile, here's actual frequency analysis of the front left channel of 'Grey Seal' for each of these releases.. from Audacity

X axis numbers at top are frequencies
Y axis is average level at that frequency (0 would be digital maximum)

1708297438436.png

Back