Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa--hold the phone! A Love Supreme just showed up in Atmos on Apple Music. Similar to the Miles Davis stuff: the mixers seem to be trying to reconstruct the acoustic atmosphere of the Van Gelder studio through reverb, etc. (I'd like to know who mixed this: can anyone with a Tidal sub confirm that it's appeared there, too, and check the credits?) But there's definitely signal coming out of all channels.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-love-supreme/1440713018
Whoa--hold the phone! A Love Supreme just showed up in Atmos on Apple Music. Similar to the Miles Davis stuff: the mixers seem to be trying to reconstruct the acoustic atmosphere of the Van Gelder studio through reverb, etc. (I'd like to know who mixed this: can anyone with a Tidal sub confirm that it's appeared there, too, and check the credits?) But there's definitely signal coming out of all channels.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-love-supreme/1440713018

[/QUOTE]
I had sampled some of these two last night and wasn't impressed, early Jazz recordings will be a challenge to do anything interesting as far Atmos is concerned IMO. Seemed like the vocals were heavy middle (either Center or Phantom Center) but sounded OK I guess.

Sgt. Pepper is sitting at the front of the Spatial Audio list now noted as (Remix - as against 2017 Remix). Is this the Giles Martin promised update or just repackaged. I note the copyright is 2021, as against 2017 for the versions that have been on there since June. Trying to A-B, but only on Airpod Pros due to time of day. Will be a good way to fruitlessly waste some time a bit later.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-remix/1573250333

I had sampled some of these two last night and wasn't impressed, early Jazz recordings will be a challenge to do anything interesting as far Atmos is concerned IMO. Seemed like the vocals were heavy middle (either Center or Phantom Center) but sounded OK I guess.

Agreed re Ella & Louis, which I hadn't auditioned when I posted it. Although if it prompts some youngsters (or whoever) to give the album a listen, then no harm, no foul. And it actually sounds pretty good in Atmosized mono, even if there's nothing particularly "Atmos" about it.

I like what they're doing with some of the other jazz chestnuts, though, including Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain--and now A Love Supreme. (The classic Blue Notes, not so much--although again, if it gets them a few new ears, then that's okay.)

Looks like Steve Genewick--who's disappeared from QQ? :confused:--was behind the board for the Coltrane. I've posted this article before, but I always have a hard time tracking it down, so I'll repeat myself: in the May 2020 special issue of Mix Online, Dave Rideau talked about the approach he and Genewick took to the Davis albums. I assume he did something similar for A Love Supreme:
https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/dolby-atmos-music-its-different-when-you-mix-music-only

please indulge me while i have a "pinch me" / kinda taking stock type moment, flicking through the Apple Music Library.. the diverse range of artists we've seen with tracks and in many cases complete albums released in Atmos is quite impressive! The Stones.. The Beatles.. John Lennon.. George Harrison.. ABBA... Amy Winehouse.. Elvis.. Prince.. The Bee Gees.. Spice Girls.. Air.. Pearl Jam.. Styx.. Free.. The Doors.. The Band.. Barry White.. Kool & The Gang.. Blondie.. Joe Bonamassa.. Sam Cooke.. Guns N' Roses.. En Vogue.. FGTH.. Jarvis Cocker.. James Brown.. Keane.. Miles Davis.. Spinners.. Ben E.King.. Queen.. Extreme.. Kraftwerk.. The Killers.. Maroon 5.. Imagine Dragons.. Lady Gaga.. Alicia Keys.. Ariana Grande.. Jessie Ware.. Stevie Winwood.. Robert Palmer.. Shawn Mendes.. Demi Lovato.. Jonas Brothers.. The Kooks.. Coldplay.. George Clinton.. George Thorogood.. Billy Idol.. Gregory Porter.. Keane.. Lorde.. Kelly Clarkson.. Jennifer Hudson.. Luther Vandross.. Mariah Carey.. P!nk.. Halsey.. Taylor Swift.. Outkast.. Rufus ft Chaka Khan.. Bon Jovi.. Jack Savoretti.. Tower Of Power.. Pineapple Thief.. Stone Temple Pilots.. Calvin Harris.. Swedish House Mafia.. Michael Bublé.. Mr. Big.. Rob Thomas.. Rod Stewart.. Roberta Flack.. Bob Marley.. Wilson Pickett.. Blues Traveler.. Billie Eilish.. Ed Sheeran.. James Blake.. Modest Mouse.. Norah Jones.. Nelly Furtado.. Booka Shade.. Sam Smith.. The Weeknd.. Coldplay.. Bryan Adams.. Usher.. Tori Amos.. Linkin Park.. Lynyrd Skynyrd.. Allman Brothers.. Crowded House.. DeBarge.. Doobie Brothers.. Buggles.. Peaches & Herb.. Sheryl Crow.. Dobie Gray.. Donna Summer.. Celine Dion.. Moby.. Alanis Morrissette.. Boyz II Men.. a fair bit of Motown incl Diana Ross, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Miracles w/Smokey, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Jackson 5.. well.. i reckon that's a good start.. don't you 🥰

the BD's 5.1 only isn't it? been so long since i played it i can't remember! 🤣
The mix on Apple Music since June and marked as 2017 mix in Dolby Atmos was the 2017 theatrical mix that played in a few cinemas at the time. It was not on the Blu-Ray. In IMO it was vastly superior to either format on the Blu-Ray (Yes I want my money back) . For me, it was the only time in 54 years it sounded right. Giles Martin stated that he wasn't happy with it, as it was one of his first Atmos efforts and was going to update it. I thought the June version was perfect, so I've been hoping he won't do a J Mayer and stuff it up. Hence the question, is the version (Remix) that appeared today copyright 2021 the update?

Last edited:
The mix on Apple Music since June and marked as 2017 mix in Dolby Atmos was the 2017 theatrical mix that played in a few cinemas at the time. It was not on the Blu-Ray. In IMO it was vastly superior to either format on the Blu-Ray (Yes I want my money back) . For me, it was the only time in 54 years it sounded right. Giles Martin stated that he wasn't happy with it, as it was one of his first Atmos efforts and was going to update it. I thought the June version was perfect, so I been hoping he won't do a J Mayer and stuff it up. Hence the question, is the version (Remix) that appeared today copyright 2021 the update?
Seems like nobody knows for sure. But it sure as h#*k is worth a listen!
If the mix I heard were released on immersive blu-ray I'd be pretty damned happy.

Seems like nobody knows for sure. But it sure as h#*k is worth a listen!
If the mix I heard were released on immersive blu-ray I'd be pretty damned happy.
Ha! I will listen. Just waiting for a more reasonable hour, so I can listen outside and share it with the neighbourhood. I'd be happy with it on Blu-Ray as well.

The mix on Apple Music since June and marked as 2017 mix in Dolby Atmos was the 2017 theatrical mix that played in a few cinemas at the time. It was not on the Blu-Ray. In IMO it was vastly superior to either format on the Blu-Ray (Yes I want my money back) . For me, it was the only time in 54 years it sounded right. Giles Martin stated that he wasn't happy with it, as it was one of his first Atmos efforts and was going to update it. I thought the June version was perfect, so I've been hoping he won't do a J Mayer and stuff it up. Hence the question, is the version (Remix) that appeared today copyright 2021 the update?
I’m about half way through the atmos version of Pepper currently on Apple Music and - having listened to the previous version maybe 6-8 times - I’m fairly certain it’s not the same atmos mix which was there previously.

And I’m pretty sure when all is said and done, I prefer the previous 2017(?) version. I’d like to be able to compare them, but I suspect the old version is gone into the ether unless Apple, Inc (the Beatles version) can find a way (or the will) to substantially monetize it.

please indulge me while i have a "pinch me" / kinda taking stock type moment, flicking through the Apple Music Library.. the diverse range of artists we've seen with tracks and in many cases complete albums released in Atmos is quite impressive! The Stones.. The Beatles.. John Lennon.. George Harrison.. ABBA... Amy Winehouse.. Elvis.. Prince.. The Bee Gees.. Spice Girls.. Air.. Pearl Jam.. Styx.. Free.. The Doors.. The Band.. Barry White.. Kool & The Gang.. Blondie.. Joe Bonamassa.. Sam Cooke.. Guns N' Roses.. En Vogue.. FGTH.. Jarvis Cocker.. James Brown.. Keane.. Miles Davis.. Spinners.. Ben E.King.. Queen.. Extreme.. Kraftwerk.. The Killers.. Maroon 5.. Imagine Dragons.. Lady Gaga.. Alicia Keys.. Ariana Grande.. Jessie Ware.. Stevie Winwood.. Robert Palmer.. Shawn Mendes.. Demi Lovato.. Jonas Brothers.. The Kooks.. Coldplay.. George Clinton.. George Thorogood.. Billy Idol.. Gregory Porter.. Keane.. Lorde.. Kelly Clarkson.. Jennifer Hudson.. Luther Vandross.. Mariah Carey.. P!nk.. Halsey.. Taylor Swift.. Outkast.. Rufus ft Chaka Khan.. Bon Jovi.. Jack Savoretti.. Tower Of Power.. Pineapple Thief.. Stone Temple Pilots.. Calvin Harris.. Swedish House Mafia.. Michael Bublé.. Mr. Big.. Rob Thomas.. Rod Stewart.. Roberta Flack.. Bob Marley.. Wilson Pickett.. Blues Traveler.. Billie Eilish.. Ed Sheeran.. James Blake.. Modest Mouse.. Norah Jones.. Nelly Furtado.. Booka Shade.. Sam Smith.. The Weeknd.. Coldplay.. Bryan Adams.. Usher.. Tori Amos.. Linkin Park.. Lynyrd Skynyrd.. Allman Brothers.. Crowded House.. DeBarge.. Doobie Brothers.. Buggles.. Peaches & Herb.. Sheryl Crow.. Dobie Gray.. Donna Summer.. Celine Dion.. Moby.. Alanis Morrissette.. Boyz II Men.. a fair bit of Motown incl Diana Ross, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Miracles w/Smokey, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Jackson 5.. well.. i reckon that's a good start.. don't you 🥰
The problem is only a fraction of those are entire albums. If you’re an album oriented listener vs playlist oriented, it‘s as frustrating as it is encouraging.

I’m about half way through the atmos version of Pepper currently on Apple Music and - having listened to the previous version maybe 6-8 times - I’m fairly certain it’s not the same atmos mix which was there previously.

And I’m pretty sure when all is said and done, I prefer the previous 2017(?) version. I’d like to be able to compare them, but I suspect the old version is gone into the ether unless Apple, Inc (the Beatles version) can find a way (or the will) to substantially monetize it.

The deluxe editions with extra tracks are still labeled as having the 2017 mixes. They may still be the old ones, but the way Apple Music works you may just get the "latest" version whatever it says. I guess you could test by adding both to your library and "downloading" on a computer and see if the file sizes are identical or something.

Just checked, they do differ in size and the deluxe edition ones have the 2017 copyright. So direct comparison should still be possible.

Last edited:
The deluxe editions with extra tracks are still labeled as having the 2017 mixes. They may still be the old ones, but the way Apple Music works you may just get the "latest" version whatever it says. I guess you could test by adding both to your library and "downloading" on a computer and see if the file sizes are identical or something.

Just checked, they do differ in size and the deluxe edition ones have the 2017 copyright. So direct comparison should still be possible.
(y) Good thought. I’ll try that.

John Luther Adams, Arctic Dreams (Cold Blue Music, 2021). Currently available on Apple Music (along with some other recent symphonic and chamber pieces: Lines Made By Walking and The Become Trilogy)--although someone involved with the production kindly let me hear a high-res version which I hope the label will eventually sell as a digital download. I'm left speechless when I listen to Adams's music; it's just that gorgeous and overwhelming.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/john-luther-adams-arctic-dreams/1563815997http://coldbluemusic.com/recent-releases/cb0060/

I only got a partial listen in before kids’ bedtime, but totally digging what I heard in the new Porcupine Tree and Tori Amos Atmos tracks!! Hopefully will have time for a full listen tomorrow + the Sgt. Pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back