Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Zappa Quaudiophiliac is great but it is made up of various tracks from different times so it isn't very cohesive. Halloween is a live performance. The SQ is very good but the mix is nothing special. Song list is very good and performance is all Zappa!

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine - Blu-ray - It runs as "Top Menu" when playing the disc so you do't get any disc "playing time" stats... :(

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine - Blu-ray - It runs as "Top Menu" when playing the disc so you do't get any disc "playing time" stats... :(

Played this for the 3rd time today,and I really like it.Front heavy,but it folds nicely to the surrounds now and again.Good sound quality and some nice deep bass here and there.Good songs.One problem,the only controls that work after you hit play is stop:mad:@
But anyhow,really nice to have this in 5.1:)

Played this for the 3rd time today,and I really like it.Front heavy,but it folds nicely to the surrounds now and again.Good sound quality and some nice deep bass here and there.Good songs.One problem,the only controls that work after you hit play is stop:mad:@
But anyhow,really nice to have this in 5.1:)

Hit the "Pop-Up Menu" button and then you can select specific tracks....

N.E.R.D. "In Search Of..." DVD Audio- took a chance on this one. It's well done and though certainly not for everybody it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'd never heard anything from Pharrell Williams. But as noted in the poll thread, potty mouth ahead.

Just went out of the cinema, I watched Interestellar. What a fantastic 5.1 soundtrack it has, by Hans Zimmer. Really impressed by the movie; but some of the greatest moments are accompanied by which may be the best Zimmer's score. By the way, there was a moment when I thought Calling, from The Endless River, was starting to sound. The score evolved in a different way, but the synths were pretty much alike

Ok..you are only listing DVD-A's...do you have a player that will play SACD's?...SACD's of some of these titles are much easier to find...

Let me mention a few of your list that I have...

Fleetwood Mac Say You Will...this one isn't good in the sound quality department and it's pretty primitive material...it's for the die hard Mac fan
Chicago II-excellent disc
Steely Dan Two Against Nature- very good..not in the same league as Gaucho(my Gaucho is SACD multi channel)..but worth a buy IMO
Steely Dan Everything Must Go- same comments as Two Against Nature..and I have Pretzel Logic SHM-SACD on order(I know it will be good and you should pick it up)..you should consider Donald Fagen's individual discs...like Nightfly..Kamakiriad...Morph The Cat...I have those and they are all very good...especially Nightfly....

Many thanks for taking the time for a nice rundown of my list. :D

Yes, I listen to SACDs as well. In fact, most of my Mch collection is on SACD. Though, the past couple of years I've been getting into DVDAs, as they offer many titles not available on SACD. I have both of the recent Steely Dan SHM-SACDs...Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic. They sound superb, but alas only 2-ch. I agree that the Mch Gaucho SACD sounds wonderful. Wish they would put together a Mch SACD of Aja (even if not complete). I am looking to pick up the solo albums by Donald that you mentioned. I believe the DVDA and SACD of Nightfly are basically the same, right? I'll probably go with the SACD since it's easier to get and cheaper.

I have been on the fence about the Fleetwood Mac. It'll probably go on the back burner for a while. But... I am definitely interested in the Chicago DVDA. That's a must. Thanks! And I remember listening to lots of Foreigner back in the 70s and 80s...almost too much. ;) These days I might not normally go for this, but I am intrigued about the hearing it in surround. MoFi has recently released several Foreigner albums on SACD. I have their Doobie Bros - Toulouse Street and the Mch SACD of Captain & Me, so I won't worry about the DVDA.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on those DVDAs... and I loved the PF - Pompeii video.

I have Faith Hill Cry and like it. A nice listening album with good surround sound. I also have EC Reptile and FZ Quadraphiliac. Both good as well. Just got Zappa so I will have to listen to it a few more times before I vote on it.

Thanks! Glad to hear positive things about these. Faith Hill Cry and the Zappa are high on my list. Still dragging my feet on EC Reptile, but I am getting into Clapton again these days with some of his Mch SACDs...especially 461 and Slowhand. She don't lie. She don't lie. She don't lie...:smokin

The Zappa Quaudiophiliac is great but it is made up of various tracks from different times so it isn't very cohesive. Halloween is a live performance. The SQ is very good but the mix is nothing special. Song list is very good and performance is all Zappa!

Thanks! I have heard good things about Quaudiophiliac. Looks like that's the one to get. But...I spotted a used copy of Halloween the other day. Decisions. Decisions!! :confused:

Many thanks for taking the time for a nice rundown of my list. :D

Yes, I listen to SACDs as well. In fact, most of my Mch collection is on SACD. Though, the past couple of years I've been getting into DVDAs, as they offer many titles not available on SACD. I have both of the recent Steely Dan SHM-SACDs...Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic. They sound superb, but alas only 2-ch. I agree that the Mch Gaucho SACD sounds wonderful. Wish they would put together a Mch SACD of Aja (even if not complete). I am looking to pick up the solo albums by Donald that you mentioned. I believe the DVDA and SACD of Nightfly are basically the same, right? I'll probably go with the SACD since it's easier to get and cheaper.

I have been on the fence about the Fleetwood Mac. It'll probably go on the back burner for a while. But... I am definitely interested in the Chicago DVDA. That's a must. Thanks! And I remember listening to lots of Foreigner back in the 70s and 80s...almost too much. ;) These days I might not normally go for this, but I am intrigued about the hearing it in surround. MoFi has recently released several Foreigner albums on SACD. I have their Doobie Bros - Toulouse Street and the Mch SACD of Captain & Me, so I won't worry about the DVDA.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on those DVDAs... and I loved the PF - Pompeii video.

Nightfly in either format is equal..easier and cheaper to find the SACD version..in case you don't have it already Moondance is excellent HERE

Snood would say if you can get SAY YOU WILL by FM for reaaaaaaaaaaal cheap as often it is................The Lindsey Buckingham tracks are still real good.

You can often find it in VG condition on ebay for under 20 bux -amazon has a couple under 20 in VG but it is Amazon

"Come" by Lindsey on that album is great along with his other stuff............meh on the Stevie stuff

but yeah the Doobs and Steely Dan Stuff are nice. :)

Just went out of the cinema, I watched Interestellar. What a fantastic 5.1 soundtrack it has, by Hans Zimmer. Really impressed by the movie; but some of the greatest moments are accompanied by which may be the best Zimmer's score. By the way, there was a moment when I thought Calling, from The Endless River, was starting to sound. The score evolved in a different way, but the synths were pretty much alike

¡Que fuerte, tío!
The last time I went to see a movie TWICE in the theater was in 1998 to see "The Fifth Element" in Cines Ideal...(well, that was also because I met my wife while seeing it the fist time in a "sesión golfa"...yes, I MET her in Cines Ideal...whacky, huh?)

I went to see "Intersellar" last Sunday for the 2nd time in Plaza Norte 2 ... the 1st time , it was playing in one of the BIG Theaters and the Soundtrack was DEAFENING, especially the subwoofers...but this 2nd time , it was in a smaller one and it was OK....

Digital Cinemas are like the CDs in music...you don't get the scratches or imperfections of film , but there's a certain sheer and brightness/sharpness missing...

Still, the experience in Surround was great..and I'm the kind who likes to sit UP FRONT,as opposed to most Spanish movie goers , who sit in the BACK (you do NOT get the real soundtrack back there, just the Surrounds)...I found the music to be in a vein close to Phillip Glass, very minimalist...also dug the "hint" to 2001 with the organ swells....also liked the fact that , in the "space scenes" there is NO SOUND...

It's a great movie and highly recommendable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back