"Live" Quad Performances

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS

PINK FLOYD played in Quadraphonic on their 1994 Tour.

Attachments

• 20210331_174709.jpg
    20210331_174709.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 1617230699754-1643488420.jpg
    1617230699754-1643488420.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 103
I was at the Dylan/Band concert in L.A. There was no surround setup that I remember.

The Concert Tour the article refers to for a quad P.A. system is mostly about THE GRATEFUL DEAD.
They were not specific about The Band/Dylan's P.A. system.
But both were recorded by Wally Heider Remote Studios.

If we're talking about live surround performances, how has the Floyd not been mentioned in the first post?! Arguably the grandfathers of live surround sound performance. Live shows from 1967 thru 1981 in quad surround with only a handful of early festival dates in mono or stereo. Nearly all their solo career shows after that in surround as well. They were aggressive with it in the early days! Especially pre Dark Side. Rick had his own joystick panner sitting on one of his keyboards (which you can spot in a few old videos).
I was going to say something, but I just figured I missed the post. They were THE band when it came to surround in concert.

I don't remember the year, but probably 10 to 15 years ago, Yes did a tour with DTS as the tour sponsor. I saw the show at the Universal Amphitheater, which normally had great sound (after they put the roof on). I believe it was a surround performance and it was pretty amazing for a live event.

I don't remember the year, but probably 10 to 15 years ago, Yes did a tour with DTS as the tour sponsor. I saw the show at the Universal Amphitheater, which normally had great sound (after they put the roof on). I believe it was a surround performance and it was pretty amazing for a live event.

That was the Talk tour, so it was '94- 27 years ago! Tempus fugit, to quote a song title... 10-15 years doesn't even go back to the era when Jon was still in the band (though 15 years ago would have been the tour that had to be cancelled due to his illness and was the catalyst for removing him from the band).

Anyway, I saw that tour and was excited about the prospect of surround sound- but I didn't notice anything really during the show. The sound was good- it generally was at Yesshows- but not sure how much the speakers in the back contributed to that. But in fairness, it was an outdoors venue: Merriwether Post Pavillion. But as far as I saw, there were only additional speakers in the back, so it wasn't quad. Nor even surround-sound, from what I heard.

That was the Talk tour, so it was '94- 27 years ago! Tempus fugit, to quote a song title... 10-15 years doesn't even go back to the era when Jon was still in the band (though 15 years ago would have been the tour that had to be cancelled due to his illness and was the catalyst for removing him from the band).

Anyway, I saw that tour and was excited about the prospect of surround sound- but I didn't notice anything really during the show. The sound was good- it generally was at Yesshows- but not sure how much the speakers in the back contributed to that. But in fairness, it was an outdoors venue: Merriwether Post Pavillion. But as far as I saw, there were only additional speakers in the back, so it wasn't quad. Nor even surround-sound, from what I heard.
Holy crap. And they looked older than dirt even back then! I remember the sound being really really good, but donā€™t remember whether there was anything discrete about the sounds from the rear. Too long ago. Thanks for making me feel even older. šŸ˜€

Holy crap. And they looked older than dirt even back then! I remember the sound being really really good, but donā€™t remember whether there was anything discrete about the sounds from the rear. Too long ago. Thanks for making me feel even older. šŸ˜€

Well, Trevor still looked young. But yes even back then Howe was being called Skeletor! But he looked absolutely vibrant compared to today.

We all pay the price for the accumulation of experience. Rust never sleeps...

But think of all the great stuff we would have missed if we weren't so old! I got to see Yes in their heyday; they were glorious back in the 70s. Many other great bands when shows were affordable and communal, unifying experiences. When these younguns I often see at Dead cover bands (love how this music/ethos is staying alive) give me a hard time about my advanced age, I can always reply- yeah, but I got to see Jerry... Shuts em up right quick!

I sometimes bemoan the ravages of old age, but as they say- it beats the alternative! And I only have to flip the coin and look at all I have to be grateful for: still have my hearing (not sure why with all the abuse it's taken), eyesight is good and while I can't get around like I used to, I'm still pretty agile for my age.

Bottom line, I'm happy to be where I'm at today. Given a choice, I'd definitely prefer to be a teen in the 70s than a teen in the new millenium. We Boomers had it pretty damn good.

This one is a bootleg that was long reported to be QS. The Who - Decidedly Belated Response, The 1973 North American Tour.

Sadly the recording is not encoded, in fact the channel levels aren't even balanced. The record states the following information on the sleeve,
TARKL 1961 STEREO (THIS RECORDING WILL PROVIDE A QUADRAPHONIC SOUND WHEN PLAYED ON EQUIPMENT UTILIZING THE QS MATRIX DECODING SYSTEM) Thanks to JIMMY....
That statement while deceiving was not actually a total lie, as any stereo record produces Quad surround effect when played through a decoder!
Par4ken, I understand your frustrations with this particular show. When I was a kid I would periodically see this bootleg in the record stores in Boston and wonder if I could find a way to hear what this show was supposed to sound like.
I can clear up a couple of things for you. The recording on the bootlegs is in fact encoded, it is just that the recording on the boots is off the air, and not the cleanest. So as a result, the encoding is pretty well corrupted. Also, the encoding is SQ and not QS, as the King Biscuit show only did SQ.
The kornyphone bootleg company mistakenly mentions QS on a handful of their releases, and in the past I have wasted time trying to decode King Biscuit shows as QS because that is what the bootlegs said they were.
For what it's worth, the mix is not the most adventurous, mostly ambience in the back channels with occasional "joystick" panning of things, but having said that, I feel pretty confident that a solid version will surface at some point. One last thing, there are remixes of this show floating around that sound great but are not encoded.

Well, Trevor still looked young. But yes even back then Howe was being called Skeletor! But he looked absolutely vibrant compared to today.

We all pay the price for the accumulation of experience. Rust never sleeps...

But think of all the great stuff we would have missed if we weren't so old! I got to see Yes in their heyday; they were glorious back in the 70s. Many other great bands when shows were affordable and communal, unifying experiences. When these younguns I often see at Dead cover bands (love how this music/ethos is staying alive) give me a hard time about my advanced age, I can always reply- yeah, but I got to see Jerry... Shuts em up right quick!

I sometimes bemoan the ravages of old age, but as they say- it beats the alternative! And I only have to flip the coin and look at all I have to be grateful for: still have my hearing (not sure why with all the abuse it's taken), eyesight is good and while I can't get around like I used to, I'm still pretty agile for my age.

Bottom line, I'm happy to be where I'm at today. Given a choice, I'd definitely prefer to be a teen in the 70s than a teen in the new millenium. We Boomers had it pretty damn good.
Wasn't expecting for you to get that heavy. :) I saw the Topographic Oceans tour, but actually really appreciated them even more in the 90s, when not only were they playing well, but the technology had caught up with them. Yep, getting old ain't for the faint of heart. Tinnitus has effected my hearing, but the new knee and hip a few years ago make me feel like a 20 year old again. Okay, not really, but I can out hustle most on the tennis and racquetball courts. Yep, I'm happy where I am right now. Lots of memories and bragging rights. :)

Par4ken, I understand your frustrations with this particular show. When I was a kid I would periodically see this bootleg in the record stores in Boston and wonder if I could find a way to hear what this show was supposed to sound like.
I can clear up a couple of things for you. The recording on the bootlegs is in fact encoded, it is just that the recording on the boots is off the air, and not the cleanest. So as a result, the encoding is pretty well corrupted. Also, the encoding is SQ and not QS, as the King Biscuit show only did SQ.
The kornyphone bootleg company mistakenly mentions QS on a handful of their releases, and in the past I have wasted time trying to decode King Biscuit shows as QS because that is what the bootlegs said they were.
For what it's worth, the mix is not the most adventurous, mostly ambience in the back channels with occasional "joystick" panning of things, but having said that, I feel pretty confident that a solid version will surface at some point. One last thing, there are remixes of this show floating around that sound great but are not encoded.
I have been asking and waiting for years for someone to post a decode of this show, but nobody ever does. It decodes into SQ just fine. The Kornyphone boot was horrible.

I've got the Japanese pressing. There doesn't appear to be much happening in the rears, aside from a bit of panning echo during the guitar solo section in "Nantucket Sleighride".

well that is unfortunate

That'd be this one ! (from Digital Sound Entertainment 1998 page 13)
DTS CD'S Advert from Image Entertainment.

Attachments

• 20210401_100700.jpg
    20210401_100700.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210401_101359.jpg
    20210401_101359.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 103
That is not quad or does not say quad I have it

It doesn't have to say quad encoded to be so. This recording is a Quad single inventory album.........
--NO SEPARATE STEREO copy.
It's a cd .
Same recording fwiw , the cd is AAD and came from the same master tape. Nowhere does it say it has been remixed.
My Santana Lotus , also AAD , says stereo not quad and sure enough it's SQ encoded.
FWIW : The AF SACD Stereo of Lotus is also SQ encoded. It's mentioned on the AF Thread .

Back