Mannheim Steamroller "Fresh Aire 8" in 5.1 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (May 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam ALL your choices are PRIMO but if you're barefoot and pregnant the HFPA BD~A Yoga disc may be just what the doctor ordered! :brew

Haha.. you do get me in stitches Ralph! :p
(if only you knew.. I used to be "surrounded" by preggo ladies in a former life.. long story.. ;) )

tbh I'll still end up getting this "He Man Steam Roller" SACD to support AF because well, you know, they have done some seriously amazing Surround releases already.. I may even get the Yoga thing if it turns out to be any good from a surround point of view.. but bleedin hell its bordering on excruciating thinking what could be released and we get He Man on a steam roller on AF Surround SACD and Meditating Yogi Bear on Surround HFPA Blu-ray..! :p

It's the name of the band in the thread title...HINT...Steamroller....I doubt this one will appeal to you...

[video=youtube;TPX3GUK3D84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPX3GUK3D84&list=PLfJFQt18Hy0subMPuLnNxy1Ur5fpsZFG5[/video]

Manhandle Steaming Pile is a hell of a name for a band. Yeesh!
Thanks for the link. It's... a ballet??? Kind of a rock ballet type thing? With a little Middle Eastern or Asian music in there? I'll have to ask Mum if she likes them.

This is a totally redundant release, as everyone has pointed out, but I'll probably bite. I've never listened to my DVD-A, but if it sells maybe we'll get some of the more memorable stuff later although probably just stereo. I emailed the label and asked about surround sound for the first four albums since they'd done the two Christmas releases, FA VIII, Meets the Mouse, and the spooky music one, but their response (I got one!!) was pretty much "uh, sure. We'll get right on that the week after never."

I love the first four Fresh Aire albums, though, and V and VI are pretty good. Grew up on them. The second album is by far my favorite, and I remember my dad bringing home our first CD player in 1990 with our first CD: Fresh Aire VII. (We were a little late to the CD party.)

Anyway, I get why some people don't like Steamroller. God those Christmas albums have been played TO DEATH.

....their response (I got one!!) was pretty much "uh, sure. We'll get right on that the week after never."
I like that response. Hopefully no more of these.

Fresh Aire 8 by Mannheim Steamroller in 5.1 Multichannel SACD.
Arriving from Audio Fidelity on May 20, 2016

Fresh Aire 8 - May 20 2016.png

http://www.audiofidelity.net/product/mannheim-steamroller-fresh-aire-8
http://store.acousticsounds.com/ind...y=13&CategoryID=4&ComingSoon=true&LabelID=682

Thanks for the info.
Does this have new mastering over the old DVD, please?
Looking for reasons to justify purchase of this new SACD :)

Adam, if you're at all familiar with the Mannheim Steamroller DVD~As, doubtful there will be any new remasterings as they sound astounding JUST AS THEY ARE. Some of the very best sounding DVD~As out there. Only wish they'd remaster Fresh Aire 1-4 in 5.1 which, IMO, are among their very best (but are available as great sounding HDCD RBCDs if you're interested....with NO compression artifacts).

Thanks for the info.
Does this have new mastering over the old DVD, please?
Looking for reasons to justify purchase of this new SACD :)

Yes.

Brian Ackley did the remixing and remastering.
Audio Fidelity says "the mixing is subtle, the mastering is crisp."

He did the mix on the original version and he has worked on other Mannheim titles...interesting choice...

I'm still somewhat surprised since I stand by my original 'observation' that Mannheim Steamroller's 5.1 DVD~As (including their Ambience series) ARE among my BEST sounding DVD~As but I hope that Brian Ackley will be spurred on to remix Fresh Aire 1~4 for FUTURE multichannel release.....if sales of AF's SACD is encouraging.

Hmmmm....now I'll to double dip if AF's SACD of Fresh Aire 8 is BETTER than my existing DVD~A (even though it's really not one of their best).

I listened to the DVD~A 5.1 of Fresh Aire 8 tonight in its entirety and still cannot imagine why it's undergoing a thorough remix........the recording is superb with great and enveloping use of surrounds and the final two cuts, Big Bang and Fractuals are actually quite good. The DVD~A is a dualdisc with 96/24 on the DVD~A side and DD/DTS 5.1 on the DVD~V side along with over 2 hours of bonus interviews. It also comes with a separate HDCD encoded RBCD in an oblong plastic case.

There are a slew of existing 5.1 albums which could actually benefit from NEW remixes but why this is undergoing another remix actually puzzles me greatly.

But I'm not the one in charge (obviously).

I'm still somewhat surprised since I stand by my original 'observation' that Mannheim Steamroller's 5.1 DVD~As (including their Ambience series) ARE among my BEST sounding DVD~As but I hope that Brian Ackley will be spurred on to remix Fresh Aire 1~4 for FUTURE multichannel release.....if sales of AF's SACD is encouraging.

Hmmmm....now I'll to double dip if AF's SACD of Fresh Aire 8 is BETTER than my existing DVD~A (even though it's really not one of their best).

I look at this approach and think of Winelight...the older version was impressive but AF managed to add some "sparkle" to the new release that made it a tiny bit better...that's what I think this will be...more like a refresh...as Brian indicated "subtle"...unfortunately for me this isn't the content I'm looking for and will probably pass on it...I do like Mannheim for Christmas music...but not this title....but I think that Marshall made a mistake on this one.....he's probably looking at the sales numbers for the title...but there are plenty available for a cheap price on the open market...

I look at this approach and think of Winelight...the older version was impressive but AF managed to add some "sparkle" to the new release that made it a tiny bit better...that's what I think this will be...more like a refresh...as Brian indicated "subtle"...unfortunately for me this isn't the content I'm looking for and will probably pass on it...I do like Mannheim for Christmas music...but not this title....but I think that Marshall made a mistake on this one.....he's probably looking at the sales numbers for the title...but there are plenty available for a cheap price on the open market...

Well said, Clint.
Would I rather AF had released another Quad or prev. unreleased 5.1 instead? Yes!
Will I get this SACD? Don't have the DVD, so.. probably :eek:

Well said, Clint.
Would I rather AF had released another Quad or prev. unreleased 5.1 instead? Yes!
Will I get this SACD? Don't have the DVD, so.. probably :eek:

Just to show you how cheap this title is..I just bought the version Ralphie was talking about on Ebay for $2.00 plus $4.75 to ship for a used copy...I want to listen to it and check it out...

Back