Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells deluxe edition with original recording in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, if the TB "Ultimate Edition" is only $80.00, I will be a very happy boy. I'm predicting it being well over $100 considering that there will only be 500 of those made.

Ooops, sorry, I was thinking in Euros. Darn that French guy ! ^^

I have to say that in a time of financial crisis, I've just bought the Coheed & Cambria boxset, the Pearl Jam Deluxe Edition, the Liquid Tension Experiment boxset including a Blu-Ray, so now this, well... the cow's been milked too dry.

I'll still buy the 2CD+DVD set, but I highly doubt the "new 5.1 mix" from Oldfield will top the original SACD. Especially from a man who can't keep a straight opinion about surround mixes, and even more so when there's no other Oldfield surround releases in sight.

The "Boxed" set of CD's have the UK SQ release, same as the SACD?
Thanks.

I believe so. However, I think I read somewhere that Mike Oldfield had the first part of Tubular Bells replaced with the stereo mix on boxed CDs at some point, but I can't verify that.

Looking at the site, the "deluxe edition" (2cd + dvd) includes the dvd-audio 5.1 new 2009 mix.
How many friggin' times i go back to buy TB? Once more?
You betcha'!

I thought Neil said it would be only a DVD-A with Dolby 5.1?

If you say a DVD-V with Dolby 5.1 it's one thing...
If you say a DVD-A with Dolby 5.1 is a totally different one.

Well, the test pressing that I have seen of this has a simple 5.1 Dolby Digital stream, not even a DTS one, as some idiot seems to think that it is far more important to use up bits with the silly visuals of a spinning bell & whatnot instead of increasing the music rate.
I don't like what I have heard either - someone appears to have set up the DRC & Dialnorm for filmic settings, and as a result the centre channel is about 4dB too dominant (perhaps it is more accurate to say that the L,R,Ls,Rs channels have been un-necessarily attenuated by -4dB relative to the centre channel).
I will certainly not be plonking down any money for this version, that's for sure.

Well it arrived today a second copy,the first had no discs one and two, so had to be sent back to Amazon.

The Mix is quite nice not nearly as active as the 2003 remake DVDA, I can hear more than i could in the old stereo version. I am not sure how it compares to the original QUAD, I never bought the SACD !!.

,Dissappointingly the disc is only Dolby as Neil as stated and even more bizzarley in a three disc set the DVD is labeled, disc 4.

Seems quality at universal has not improved since the release of Paranoid !

Got it, heard it, and quite liked it.

It's very different from the SACD version, and has more flaws, but I was expecting so little from this xxth version... There are strikingly bad choices especially about the LFE channel, way too loud sometimes, but all in all it was not BAD. I'd be quite happy if all the Virgin years M.O. were released that way. I mean, it should be better than that, but all albums from Hergest Ridge to Heaven's Open remixed that way would be quite an achievement.

TB2003 was much better on a purely technical point of view. But I'm pretty sure I'll never listen to it again : between this 2009 surround, the excellent quad SACD and the stereo mix for "Boxed", TB2003 and its synthetic basses is consigned to oblivion.

PS : Good job about the "Disc Four" part ! :D Maybe Disc Three is part of the "Tubular Bells Ultimate Edition", the boxset with the vinyl, the posters and whatnot ?

Got my copy today and I'm just listening to it for the first time....so far so good, though I'm partial to the DVDA 2003 version. Changed my mind (sort of). Sat through and listened to the entire 5.1 disc and I'm extremely partial to the 2003 DVDA version. This version is interesting, but, IMHO no where near as interesting as the other version.

Last edited:
As well as being Disc4 it also says that there is an old grey whistle test apperance on it, mine doesn't.
For those that don't know old grey whistle test was a "grown-ups" music programme shown late night on BBC from about 1970 to maybe 1985. Damn how I miss it !
I've only had a very quck chance to listen (due to a way too busy weekend) but the Viv Stanshell hornpipe track on disc 4 gets faded out after the talking bits. Can't think that the disk is full.
And finaly watching the second house performance crashes my DVD player

My set finally arrived today and I'm just giving it a spin. I never got a copy of the SACD so this is my first experience with the "original" TB in surround. So far, so good. I'd have preferred a better format like everyone else but this is certainly not terrible or anything. I like the 2003 version too but at times it's a bit too perfect - I like a little grit and imperfection sometimes.

I received my copy today. Considering the accepted story that the multitrack master was starting to wear out from passing over the heads so many times when the first stereo mix was done, and then considering that it passed over the heads a few more times for the quad mix, I would expect to hear a few tape flaws in the new 5.1 mix. But I haven't heard any - yet.

Also, it seems that the tubular bells heard in the finale is yet another recording of the famed bells. The recording of the bells on the quad mix is different from the original stereo mix, and both are different than the new mix. I guess they were added during the mixdown on the two previous mixes of this recording. The new bells recording sounds like a sample played on a keyboard to me.

The classical guitar solo that ends part 1 is the same recording on the new mix as on the quad mix. I'm not sure why the original stereo mix has a different recording of that part.

J. D.

Oh wow! I mean, oh wow!!

I love this album, but I've always hated the Piltdown Man section in Part 2. But the drums during this section in the new 5.1 mix sound frickin' AWESOME!! They've *never* sounded like THIS before!! I had to do some A-B comparisons to make sure it was the same drums and not a new recording. This section now brims with a life it never had before, and not only can I bear to listen to it, I LOVE it!

J. D.

Back