Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's because they're either on strike, covering for colleagues who are on strike, or trying to clear the backlog of work after a strike.
And keep in mind that when there is an important backlog in the warehouse, new larger boxes are placed, covering the smaller ones that are hidden.
So, until the entire backlog is released, the small boxes do not appear.

It's not a joke, I was told and was shown around the local DHL warehouse by a manager during the pandemic delays.

No, this isn't exactly my first rodeo. I knew about the stupid 6€ fee. I'm pretty sure I posted the specific breakdown somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. Anyway, the taxes (without the fee) were 7,17€, and if you extrapolate the original value from that, you end up with 37,74€. Which is almost 1€ above what I paid (36,96€) and also notably above what the original price in £ would currently be (36,13€ today). So yeah, I'm still puzzled at where that specific sum came from, and it looks like we simply can't predict the taxes. I'm very curious to see if The Hurting will have the same amount slapped on.

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned to Paul a couple of times. Given that he blocked me on Twitter over this general subject and also was quite unrelenting in a following e-mail exchange, I guess it's fair to say that he won't take any advice from me. Good luck if you want to convince him.

The same happened to me. First Tubular Bells arrived a few days ago, which cost 6 something € VAT plus the infamous DHL handling fee of 6 € . Yesterday I picked up The Hurting and it was about 7 something € VAT despite the fact that it cost the exact same amount (disc plus shipping 31 pounds). The Ten Years After is about to arrive in a few days, so I'll see how much DHL will charge this time...

I also asked SDE to use IOSS, so we could at least get rid of the unnecessary DHL fee when located in the EU. His assistant assured me she would talk to him about it, since I wasn't the first person to mention it. That was way back earlier this year. Unfortunately nothing has changed (yet?).

The same happened to me. First Tubular Bells arrived a few days ago, which cost 6 something € VAT plus the infamous DHL handling fee of 6 € . Yesterday I picked up The Hurting and it was about 7 something € VAT despite the fact that it cost the exact same amount. [...]
The VAT isn't calculated by DHL, or at the very least, calculated according to the rules set by customs. I have no idea how they make up the exchange rate to arrive at the VAT amount they charge, I also had to pay 7.17€, and that doesn't align with any of the exchange rates that are allegedly used as a basis. The converted price in EUR that you actually paid is apparently irrelevant, since the value and shipping cost are declared in GBP.

The VAT isn't calculated by DHL, or at the very least, calculated according to the rules set by customs. I have no idea how they make up the exchange rate to arrive at the VAT amount they charge, I also had to pay 7.17€, and that doesn't align with any of the exchange rates that are allegedly used as a basis. The converted price in EUR that you actually paid is apparently irrelevant, since the value and shipping cost are declared in GBP.
When I order from abroad I resent paying import duty and VAT on the shipping cost. I'm importing the product itself not the shipping!

No bro, tracking says it left Auck Monday, frustrating!!!! How bout you?
Still nothing
No bro, tracking says it left Auck Monday, frustrating!!!! How bout you?
I got:
Monday 12 June 2023
05:00
Item has left the overseas International Processing Centre
AUCKLAND, New Zealand

So they must be sitting somewhere gathering dust

One thing that stands out is the sweeter, (perhaps more muted), sounds of the instruments on the Quad mix (esp the tubular bells!) compared to the Atmos, which almost sharpens them up to an edgy level
Totally agree.
It is the only mix on that Blu-ray that is sonically like the original LP.
TB was always a very dry, emotional mix and those original qualities have been lost in the other mixes.
To my old ears, it’s a bit like Van Gogh or other artists re-doing the Mona Lisa…. they may look the same on first glance, but on careful inspection flaws would be seen ….a difference in paint, light and texture.
There is only one original !

One thing that stands out is the sweeter, (perhaps more muted), sounds of the instruments on the Quad mix (esp the tubular bells!) compared to the Atmos, which almost sharpens them up to an edgy level
yeh but when it gets to the instrument "description" part at the end of side 1, it all fades out!!!! All the bass goes and you can hardly hear the decriptions

yeh but when it gets to the instrument "description" part at the end of side 1, it all fades out!!!! All the bass goes and you can hardly hear the decriptions
I just checked mine, playing the Atmos downmixed to 7.1. I am not getting the loss of bass at the point you site (starts around the 19 minute mark of part one), although the sub channel is a bit weak but there is plenty in the front channels. I think if the sub channel was louder it would be too much bass in the room. The instrument announcements are loud & clear on my copy.

Last edited:
Back