Oppo FLAC file playback question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
So I have a new-to-me Oppo BDP-93. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit. (I've always been a quad LP guy.) Here's my dilemma:

When I download fies I can't seem to get the player to recognize the files. I use a Chromebook, download the files, unzip if needed, put them on a USB stick, insert it into player and.... nothing. The player WILL play some test MP3s I put on the stick. It sees the various folders, but they are empty.... it doesn't recognize the FLAC files. I've even gone into the menu and tried different settings; music and movie.

Not sure if this matters, but I have the Oppo plugged into my router with an Ethernet cable. But other than seeing if the player is up-to-date, which it is, I don't quite see the reason.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

**Special shout out to Sonik Wiz who has been helping through this and other issues, too.
IMG_20200821_152637.jpg
IMG_20200821_153208.jpg

So I have a new-to-me Oppo BDP-93. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit. (I've always been a quad LP guy.) Here's my dilemma:

When I download files, I can't seem to get the player to recognize the files. I use a Chromebook, download the files, unzip if needed, put them on a USB stick, insert it into player and.... nothing. The player WILL play some test MP3s I put on the stick. It sees the various folders, but they are empty.... it doesn't recognize the FLAC files. I've even gone into the menu and tried different settings; music and movie.

Not sure if this matters, but I have the Oppo plugged into my router with an Ethernet cable. But other than seeing if the player is up-to-date, which it is, I don't quite see the reason.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

**Special shout out to Sonik Wiz who has been helping through this and other issues, too. View attachment 55443View attachment 55444
What's your output Optical ???

Here's a chart from the manual page 63, if the files are high def. might need analog or HDMI to receiver:

PAGE 63.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
His current set up is all analog going to a Sansui quad receiver. Do you think if the flac is 96kHz and the set up limits it to 48, could cause problems?

Yes. When I select the folder, it's empty.
And I'm using the analog outputs with the center channel and subwoofer turned off on the Oppo
Wha?
I expect it was a zip file you down loaded. And I suppose you manually created the folders on the USB flash mem. So when you right clicked on the zipped file, & chose extract all, did you direct it to the mem stick folder?

Also not sure if there is a difference between the front and back USB inputs for seeing the files/resolution also. I believe mine might like only the front for multi-channel, but not sure.

Wha?
I expect it was a zip file you down loaded. And I suppose you manually created the folders on the USB flash mem. So when you right clicked on the zipped file, & chose extract all, did you direct it to the mem stick folder?
Actually, I directed it to my cloud drive (where the Chromebook stores everything) and then copied the files to the stick.

His current set up is all analog going to a Sansui quad receiver. Do you think if the flac is 96kHz and the set up limits it to 48, could cause problems?
I think that could be an issue. I don't have a '93 (I've a 103 & 203) but FLAC files would indicate to the Oppo that that they are at 96kHz as that is embedded in it, so I don't believe the BD-93 can decimate down to a lower sample rate, so higher data rates than the setting could well be blocked. I looked at the manual nothing on file formats, but I did spot this
1598042697845.png

Actually, I directed it to my cloud drive (where the Chromebook stores everything) and then copied the files to the stick.
I would suggest just extracting to the stick. Some cloud services might put it back in zip form for DL'ing. It's worth seeing what is actually on the mem stick by checking again on the Chromebook.

I think that could be an issue. I don't have a '93 (I've a 103 & 203) but FLAC files would indicate to the Oppo that that they are at 96kHz as that is embedded in it, so I don't believe the BD-93 can decimate down to a lower sample rate, so higher data rates than the setting could well be blocked. I looked at the manual nothing on file formats, but I did spot this
View attachment 55448
I just tried this. Set it to 192k. Nothing. ๐Ÿ˜ข
I think I'm going to go out and get a brand new USB stick and download something directly into it.... hopefully stuff that's not zipped in the first place. We'll see how it goes!

I would try a stereo 44.1KHz or 48KHz track in FLAC on a USB stick.By starting with hi res you are introducing more ways for things to fail. Start with something simple, if this doesn't work then you know all the stuff about sample rates and hi res is not the problem (at least initially).

The front and rear USB on the Oppo 93 behave identically, files that play in one will play in the other.

You will not get gapless playback on the 93 (or 95). Every time it plays the next file you will get a brief chunk of silence.

I just tried this. Set it to 192k. Nothing. ๐Ÿ˜ข
I think I'm going to go out and get a brand new USB stick and download something directly into it.... hopefully stuff that's not zipped in the first place. We'll see how it goes!
When you unzip the files onto the USB via the Chromebook, using the Chromebook to look, do you see files in the folder that end as .flac or .wav?

Back