Oppo FLAC file playback question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, there is no setting for Not In Use. I think the instructions mean that it can be on any setting. But yes, I set the rest up exactly as shown.

Yes. When I select the folder, it's empty.
And I'm using the analog outputs with the center channel and subwoofer turned off on the Oppo

So then is there an "OFF" setting for COAXIAL OPTICAL OUTPUT ?

Also, can you turn the Center and LFE back to on, perhaps your receiver might want to see that?

Oh right, sorry I forgot. Well then, don't try and play things with Center and LFE, just Quad or below, that could miff things up I suppose.
Me thinks if you set the speaker configuration in the Oppo set up menu to only front/back no center front or subwoof it should down mix to 4.0 fine from 5.1.

The bigger question is why does the folder seem to be empty with no file?

Does this model support FLAC playback from USB. Iโ€™d say no if it wonโ€™t show the files. Maybe convert the FLACs to wav?

So I just wiped the stick clean and put on some new files. (ELO, The Who and Pink Floyd, if you must know.) Still shows nothing. The folders for each are there, but the Oppo doesnt show anything in them. Yet, on the computer, I see them and can play them
You need to tell us what the files are on your computer, are they flac, wav, etc. please. Probably just look at the file extension.

So I just wiped the stick clean and put on some new files. (ELO, The Who and Pink Floyd, if you must know.) Still shows nothing. The folders for each are there, but the Oppo doesnt show anything in them. Yet, on the computer, I see them and can play them
As you can see the folders on the Oppo then the USB disc is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS
1598132752021.png

That implies the Oppo doesn't recognise the music file format. What extension do your music files have, .flac, .wav, or .mp3?

Does this model support FLAC playback from USB. Iโ€™d say no if it wonโ€™t show the files. Maybe convert the FLACs to wav?

As you can see the folders on the Oppo then the USB disc is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS
View attachment 55497
That implies the Oppo doesn't recognise the music file format. What extension do your music files have, .flac, .wav, or .mp3?

and Dunc,, if it wasn't formatted properly would he even see the folders? *edit, yup sorry that's what you said LOL!!!

I sent him some files of varying types and resolution to try Gary, we'll see what happens with those.

Looking at the Oppo Wiki

Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, DivX, DivX Plus HD, MKV, FLAC, WAV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs, USB or eSATA drives can be played back on the BDP-93.

So I would say the files on the USB are not in the correct format

Looking at the Oppo Wiki

Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, DivX, DivX Plus HD, MKV, FLAC, WAV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs, USB or eSATA drives can be played back on the BDP-93.

So I would say the files on the USB are not in the correct format
we should know when he's able to check, I sent MP3, wav and various flacs.

The Oppo 93 and 95 can play FLACs, I have played both stereo and 5.1 myself. The 5.1 files I have tried are demo files from the Linn web site, I downloaded them years ago.

Have you tried my suggestion of a basic stereo 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz FLAC?

Note multi channel FLACs have tags saying what channels should come from what speakers. I don't know what happens if the Oppo doesn't like what it finds or they are absent. Hence my suggestion to try standard res stereo to avoid all the complications.

It's up to date, according to the unit. I've connected it to my network

Last time I connected my parents 93 it said the upgrade server was not found. I assumed Oppo had stopped supporting network updates for old models and I updated it by USB stick. The downloads for firmware are on the Oppo web site.

Last time I connected my parents 93 it said the upgrade server was not found. I assumed Oppo had stopped supporting network updates for old models and I updated it by USB stick. The downloads for firmware are on the Oppo web site.
Mine seemed to find it just fine. And it said it was up to date. But I'll check out the website

Mine seemed to find it just fine. And it said it was up to date. But I'll check out the website

Maybe the site was actually down when I tried then, I and jumped to conclusions that they'd finally dropped support for network updates of the 93/95.

Update as to what's happening. A friend gave me some test files. MP3, WAV from a CD, 4.0 FLAC in 48, 96 and 192. The only one it sees is the MP3. Not the WAV or any of the FLAC.

I reformatted the USB stick so that it was totally blank/new. I downloaded those files directly to a hard drive, not using any cloud storage. No unzipping needed. (I'm using a Chromebook.)

Unit was reset to factory specs already and I connected it on line to update the firmware. (Unless, Oppo doesn't actually do that anymore. The unit, after connecting, showed it was up to date. )

Anyone know a way to contact Oppo or expert for an older unit like mine? Again, it's the BDP-93.

Thanks for all your help!

(You know, this group is pretty awesome. You guys are so helpful and patient. But you already likely know that. ๐Ÿ™‚ So glad I found this site.)

Back