Poll: Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen at Home?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen?

• Total voters
I was a bit skeptical but when I heard a good one, I was convinced. I added 4 in-ceiling speakers to my existing system making it a 4.2.4 system and I have been totally pleased with the sound. I will never go back to a 2 channel or even a 5.1 system. The ceiling speakers have been a game changer for me and everyone that has stopped by for a listen. Even my wife is taken by the system who in the past has never really noticed quality audio. Love it!!

With my wife's upcoming retirement I moved all the audio into a bedroom.;) One more week I was just advised, so not a minute too soon! o_O
My AVR will only do 5.2.2 and I'm using it as 5.1.2. I was worried that this smaller space was going to kill any chance of getting it all balanced, and truth be told the speaker setup on the AVR would not complete, complaining of "too much ambient noise". I'm like....what? Lots of hard surfaces though, and the fronts sit on an heirloom oak dining room table I call my pc workspace, in the back close to the wall. Turns out all I had to do was raise the fronts about 5 inches off the table and that made the program happy! Now it seems all dialed in and finally getting good use from the rear height speakers.
First check was with Booka Shade's "Dear Future Self" Atmos BD and I was blown away, it (height speakers) never did sound this good in the larger room. Sometimes, just sometimes, things work out.
I won't quit lusting for a larger system, but it probably wouldn't work out in this smaller space anyway....at least I'll keep telling myself that. Shhh! no dissent! lol.

I've also changed my vote. Adding the 2 height speakers made quite a difference in my case (with a good mix, of course). Now I can't go back to 5.1 :cool::LOL:

great to hear! 🤗 i hope Tidal gets the Elton Atmos tracks soon because there's a lot of cool stuff going on in those Height channels! i was picking out loads of never before heard goodies up there! 🥳

How practical (insane) is it to try adding atmos in an apartment? Is adding atmos speakers on top of front speakers the only real option and does it work as well as dropping them from the ceiling? Is there an easy way to attach speakers to the ceiling above me or have my meds kicked in and this is crazy talk? Or should I just forget atmos and be a happy boy. Any opinions are appreciated. Am I really missing out?

How practical (insane) is it to try adding atmos in an apartment? Is adding atmos speakers on top of front speakers the only real option and does it work as well as dropping them from the ceiling? Is there an easy way to attach speakers to the ceiling above me or have my meds kicked in and this is crazy talk? Or should I just forget atmos and be a happy boy. Any opinions are appreciated. Am I really missing out?
I added Atmos after purchasing a new apartment. I run cables along the skirting boards for the rear speakers (while redoing the timber floor). I am lucky that we have a suspended ceiling, which facilitated the installation of in-ceiling speakers. It wasn't painful at all and quite easy to do as I wanted before moving in. Running cables through the wall cavities to the ceiling was much more painful than installing the speakers, but still a 4/5 hour job in total.

I added Atmos after purchasing a new apartment. I run cables along the skirting boards for the rear speakers (while redoing the timber floor). I am lucky that we have a suspended ceiling, which facilitated the installation of in-ceiling speakers. It wasn't painful at all and quite easy to do as I wanted before moving in. Running cables through the wall cavities to the ceiling was much more painful than installing the speakers, but still a 4/5 hour job in total.
Running cables behind walls isn’t an option and even if it was, my skill level probably wouldn’t be up to the task. Thanks though.

Running cables behind walls isn’t an option and even if it was, my skill level probably wouldn’t be up to the task. Thanks though.
You can try using self-adhesive cable ducts. You must have seen these many times around offices. Something like this: The 10 Best Cable Raceways Reviewed and Rated in 2022
If you don't mind the aesthetics, it is a very good solution. I decided to run cables because the apartment was new and there was no furniture inside, otherwise I would have gone this way :)

So the wires are visible. So what. You should see my music/computer room. ...and I own the joint. lol.

2 pc's, 2 Oppo's, AVR, usual bs like printer, monitor, router. Enough wires and cables to make a pile of snakes envious. All in a bedroom roughly 12x12 with a queen bed, full size dresser, chest of drawers, work cart, old oak dining room table/desk and an old "kit" desk. I do plan to buy some more wire raceways soon but for now I'm OK with it.
Crowded, IOW. Freshly moved from larger room, took a little tweaking but as I say the sound is good.

BTW I just bought a pair of monoprice speaker hangers from Amazon pretty cheaply, to hang my height speakers from the ceiling. But this will require drilling/screwing into something substantial, as it must hold the weight of the speaker (ceiling rafter/etc). In this case it was a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers roughly 11" x 8", and these hangers will allow for angle adjustment as well as side-to-side. The Polks actually worked out pretty good for the heights in this room, robbed from my old pc sound system
Says good up to 33 lbs. $12.80 for the pair.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C4XN86?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

You can try using self-adhesive cable ducts. You must have seen these many times around offices. Something like this: The 10 Best Cable Raceways Reviewed and Rated in 2022
If you don't mind the aesthetics, it is a very good solution. I decided to run cables because the apartment was new and there was no furniture inside, otherwise I would have gone this way :)
Thanks, I can live with seeing cables and that is a possible doable solution. I doubt I’ll even notice more cables roaming around the room. Janis has even graciously blinded herself to all the cables and clutter. I love that woman.

The few questions I still have are: Is the hassle in my circumstances of adding atmos speakers enough of an audible upgrade to attempt this bit of madness? And are there any external atmos speakers that I can attach to the ceiling without drilling holes and making a huge project out of it. This neophyte appreciates any opinions or advice.

Thanks, I can live with seeing cables and that is a possible doable solution. I doubt I’ll even notice more cables roaming around the room. Janis has even graciously blinded herself to all the cables and clutter. I love that woman.

The few questions I still have are: Is the hassle in my circumstances of adding atmos speakers enough of an audible upgrade to attempt this bit of madness? And are there any external atmos speakers that I can attach to the ceiling without drilling holes and making a huge project out of it. This neophyte appreciates any opinions or advice.
Other than getting upward firing speakers (such as ones that can even rest on your front pair) probably not.

You don't need to mount height speakers in the ceiling, you can mount them high on the walls, it still will give a good Atmos effect.
And I will say it worth the hassle. :cool:

For me, it is an audible upgrade. However, I have to admit that there aren't many atmos mixes around that make good use of the height speakers. I mean, not as many as the 5.1 mixes I have. The best option would be visiting a friend, or even a store, with an atmos system. Listen to a couple of songs and judge for yourself. This is what I did before upgrading from stereo to surround, and then from 5.0 to 5.0.2. The upgrade to surround was via King Crimson's Lizard and Discipline, then the Dark Side. The upgrade to Atmos was probably via Kraftwerk's 3D.

There are options for speakers that can be attached to the ceiling. I've seen many in photos, but I am not expert enough to recommend a brand for you.

Is the hassle in my circumstances of adding atmos speakers enough of an audible upgrade to attempt this bit of madness?
Absolutely

And are there any external atmos speakers that I can attach to the ceiling without drilling holes and making a huge project out of it.
Not without drilling any holes at all.
I have SVS Prime Elevations and they only need 4 small wood screw holes drilled into the ceiling, or they can be mounted on the side walls at the intersection of the ceiling. Here you can see mine mounted using cable channels to "almost" hide the wires.
IMG_3036.JPG

However, I have to admit that there aren't many atmos mixes around that make good use of the height speakers. I mean, not as many as the 5.1 mixes I have.

Controversial statement:

From a percentage standpoint, no. But the best ATMOS tiles best the best 5.1 mixes!

Do you dare risk missing out on that?

Last edited:
However, I have to admit that there aren't many atmos mixes around that make good use of the height speakers.
I completely agree, like you I'm running just two height speakers (set to 'top middle' on my AVR) and there’s only a handful of titles that have really blown me away so far. Air’s 10,000 Hz Legend is at the top of the list at the moment, the already-great 5.1 mix actually sounds pretty small in comparison to the huge Atmos presentation. There are synths and vocals mixed directly to the ceiling speakers and it sounds awesome. The Pineapple Thief’s Nothing But The Truth has some great moments as well, such as the pre-recorded marimba sounds in “Build A World” and “Versions Of The Truth” isolated in the ceiling speakers.

As for the recent Steven Wilson titles, I’ve found myself preferring the dedicated 5.1 option every time. The Gentle Giant and Tears For Fears albums have some cool moments (the main synth part in "End Of Night" that's in the center channel on the 5.1 mix seems to come almost-entirely from the left height speaker in Atmos) but they seriously lack low-end response on my system, and I keep noticing weird imbalances on the Kiss album (for instance, the “Detroit Rock City” guitar solo that emanates quite loudly from just the rear left speaker on the 5.1 mix seems to come from the left side of my room at about half-volume on the Atmos mix). I haven’t seen anyone else mention this, so it makes me wonder if there’s a calibration issue somewhere in my signal chain. The Air album sounds great though, just like the DTS-HD 5.1 mix tone & balance-wise only 'bigger'.

I completely agree, like you I'm running just two height speakers (set to 'top middle' on my AVR) and there’s only a handful of titles that have really blown me away so far. Air’s 10,000 Hz Legend is at the top of the list at the moment, the already-great 5.1 mix actually sounds pretty small in comparison to the huge Atmos presentation. There are synths and vocals mixed directly to the ceiling speakers and it sounds awesome. The Pineapple Thief’s Nothing But The Truth has some great moments as well, such as the pre-recorded marimba sounds in “Build A World” and “Versions Of The Truth” isolated in the ceiling speakers.

As for the recent Steven Wilson titles, I’ve found myself preferring the dedicated 5.1 option every time. The Gentle Giant and Tears For Fears albums have some cool moments (the main synth part in "End Of Night" that's in the center channel on the 5.1 mix seems to come almost-entirely from the left height speaker in Atmos) but they seriously lack low-end response on my system, and I keep noticing weird imbalances on the Kiss album (for instance, the “Detroit Rock City” guitar solo that emanates quite loudly from just the rear left speaker on the 5.1 mix seems to come from the left side of my room at about half-volume on the Atmos mix). I haven’t seen anyone else mention this, so it makes me wonder if there’s a calibration issue somewhere in my signal chain. The Air album sounds great though, just like the DTS-HD 5.1 mix tone & balance-wise only 'bigger'.
Air's 10,000 Hz Legend is top-notch. Same for Kraftwerk's 3D Catalogue. King Crimson's ITCOTCK would be my third choice. Many great moments with the height speakers engaged, such as in I Talk to the Wind, the flute towards the end.

EDIT: Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is another top-notch Atmos mix. The height speakers are well used, and include lead guitars and other unusual stuff. Top tracks in atmos: One Step Closer, In the End, Cure for the Itch. This deserves a physical release.

Last edited:
Back