Rush “Permanent Waves” 40th box set (No Surround this time...)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or no surround at all, like the 2112 box.
Yeah, but there is this:

59665_large.jpg

Based on that listing, I think there's no Blu-Ray at all this time, which makes sense, cause I have heard that the multitrack tapes for "Permanent Waves" are completely lost or destroyed.

:eek:
Yes, Alex said that they don't have have the multi-tracks, so no 5.1 remixes. See the info here :

Permanent Waves coming soon

If the Multi-tracks are gone, this is a disappointment. Here you are, a famous band with money, class and fame. But you don’t have the sense to back up your own music. You’re musicians and the music is everything.
Hmm...today...no problem, but back in the days it was not so easy to backup all multitracks.

Hmm...today...no problem, but back in the days it was not so easy to backup all multitracks.

it wasn't any more difficult than any other tape, it was just that it was expensive.

kind of like how Kobe died because the helicopter company cheaped out and didn't spend the money they should have on instruments and training

I meant it wasn't any more "difficult" for the time (just more expensive).

I'm a little bit of a film buff and I read that many films back in the day either are way shorter in duration than imagined OR that the ending was completely different specifically because they didn't have the money to purchase the actual film to film thru to the ending the way the director intended.

IOW, literal Nitrate Film cost was the prohibiting factor in many old movies and I presume in many of the music issues (Tape cost) we are speaking of right now.

Last edited:
I was thrilled recently to finally pick up the Steven Wilson remixed box set of A Farewell To Kings for a reasonable price. That album has always been in my top ten favorite Rush album releases. Remember when it was brand new and I would play Closer To The Heart for girlfriends as an introduction to Rush. :)

Not to belabor this issue of missing Multi-tracks, but in the early 1990s I was able to backup 5 different 1/2 inch 8 track R2R to that digital VHS Tape format that is 24/48. It only took an afternoon, and cost less than $500 bucks. But to be fair, there’s probably no musician without horror stories about missing items.

Ironically, when I arrived at the studio, the owner was tossing Multi-tracks from the walk-in vault. He wasn’t happy about it, but he needed the room, and he tried to contact the people he worked with. But the musicians obviously didn’t care. Normally, people took their reels home with them. The reels had been there for years. He had been doing them a favor by keeping them there to begin with. AFAIK, these weren’t from anyone famous. I thought of asking to take the reels myself, but they weren’t mine. Oh well.

I missed that story of the lost multitracks. That's sad. Not as sad as the Chycki 5.1 abominations being released though! That's still the real disappointment here. They (Alex?) don't get it. The remixes aside from Kings are treating the format as an aside novelty. But this is still sad to hear. The other albums at least have a slim chance of hell freezing over and being given to an actual mixing engineer one day.

My guess is there never were multitracks for that St Louis concert that was mixed live for broadcast. It's kind of a definitive Rush recording. Best reading of many of the songs that truly put the studio versions to shame. It's been everyone's favorite Rush album since it first aired and started being shared. I don't think they would have spent a minute on the tired performances recorded for Exit Stage Left if they had multitracks of St Louis. It's almost certain it only exists as a live 2-track as mixed in a mobile van. Broadcast mixes are damn hard to do! To hit perfection and cross all the t's and dot all the i's anyway. Lots of examples of disasters out there. This one is pretty darn solid!

Is it too soon to start a petition to have Steven Wilson remix Moving Pictures in 5.1 for the inevitable 40th anniversary box for 2021? We know he has expressed an interest in doing it and we know they have the multis for that one. And they would sell a hell of a lot more boxes with a brand-spanking-new SW mix than the 5.1 mix that already exists.

Back