Santana - III Sony Japan Quad SACD (Release date: November 24th, 2021)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so CDJapan just notified me they shipped (DHL) my second order I placed on Thanksgiving Day. Expected delivery date is this Thursday. I had to cancel my original "airmail" order I placed in October.

I’ve just opened my package and went through all the reading material, where the heck does it say the next LP Caravanseri is coming next?! I don’t see it!

"An upcoming Caravanserai Multichannel Hybrid release is referred to in the liner notes by Willie Nagasaki" (from that other forum)

In a manner of speech, MM, the corpse [meaning Santana III] isn't even cold and you're already plotting the impending release of Caravanserai!

My question would be, how many of Santana's core albums will eventually have QUAD SACD releases since I've read a few are either double stereo or sound like upmixes!

Indeed the plot thickens but QQ posters who either have ALL the SQ Vinyl and/or Q8s would certainly qualify to discern which Santana QUAD albums will merit the Sony Japan 7" Packaging QUAD SACD reissues!

hey Ralph, its Fred Catero's Quad mixes of 1976's "Amigos" and 1977's "Festival" that are potentially upmixes.

even if they are genuine Quad at the very least they are not the usual mega-discrete CBS style of mixing that's the hallmark of all the other Santana and related Quads.. even Illuminations and Love, Devotion, Surrender have oodles of separation like Abraxas, III, etc.

"Lotus" is the other exception, a Live ambience mix from Japan, not mixed by the Engineers who did the vast majority of Santana Quads (Glen Kolotkin and/or Larry Keyes in the U.S.A.) and as we know Sony Japan released "Lotus" on 7" MCh SACD so i suspect they will also issue "Amigos" & "Festival" in the same format.

If you mean the SHF, link please?

If you copy this > "An upcoming Caravanserai Multichannel Hybrid release is referred to in the liner notes by Willie Nagasaki" and plug it into SHF search you will find the post :rolleyes:

(HINT: Using my iphone's camera I can use the Google Translate app to optically translate Japanese text real time.)

If you copy this > "An upcoming Caravanserai Multichannel Hybrid release is referred to in the liner notes by Willie Nagasaki" and plug it into SHF search you will find the post :rolleyes:

(HINT: Using my iphone's camera I can use the Google Translate app to optically translate Japanese text real time.)

Searching with that sentecnce does not work for me

hey Ralph, its Fred Catero's Quad mixes of 1976's "Amigos" and 1977's "Festival" that are potentially upmixes.

even if they are genuine Quad at the very least they are not the usual mega-discrete CBS style of mixing that's the hallmark of all the other Santana and related Quads.. even Illuminations and Love, Devotion, Surrender have oodles of separation like Abraxas, III, etc.

"Lotus" is the other exception, a Live ambience mix from Japan, not mixed by the Engineers who did the vast majority of Santana Quads (Glen Kolotkin and/or Larry Keyes in the U.S.A.) and as we know Sony Japan released "Lotus" on 7" MCh SACD so i suspect they will also issue "Amigos" & "Festival" in the same format.

Many thanks, Adam. But with Sony Japan's [IMO] superb DSD 256 [QUAD] remastering from the original analogue QUAD master tapes which have been so well preserved, no doubt even Amigos and Festival will possess a clarity and inner detail not extant on either the SQ Matrix LPs nor the Q8s!

Many thanks, Adam. But with Sony Japan's [IMO] superb DSD 256 [QUAD] remastering from the original analogue QUAD master tapes which have been so well preserved, no doubt even Amigos and Festival will possess a clarity and inner detail not extant on either the SQ Matrix LPs nor the Q8s!

oh yes Ralpharoo, i have no doubt the SACDs will be the best they’ve ever sounded!! 🥳

:LOL: :SB:smokin

SANTANA III SACD.jpg

Thanks much appreciated 👍

Back