"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be jumping the gun a tad, but have a close reading of Sony's media release: "In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the release of Santana's memorable debut album "Santana" that was released overseas in 1969 and in Japan in 1970..."

So maybe, just maybe, they're making a big deal of 50th (Japanese) anniversaries. If so, maybe there will indeed be further releases:

"Abraxas" was released as a LP quad mix in Japan in 1971, so 2021 would be the 50th. anniversary.
"Santana III", ditto, a quad LP in Japan in 1972, so 2022.
"Caravanserai", ditto, also a quad LP in Japan in 1972, so 2022.
etc.

I know the release of "Lotus" doesn't fit the logic, but I was rather suspicious that AF released the stereo SACD of it just before Sony released the quad. Go figure on that one - but personally I wouldn't have forked out money for the AF set in late 2016 if I knew the Sony complete 3 SACD quad set was released a few months later in April 2017.

Anyhow, as always, here's hoping there's something to this 50th. Anniversary logic (and us oldies are still around to hear it all). :p🤞

The nostalgic collector gene in my fiber just loves it when these monster companies have employees that actually care enough about a product release to do a little thing like include a replica of the inner sleeve with the pictures of all of the quad equipment that was issued with the original albums, and the replica quad LP Jacket and label as well. Like Steve Woolard of Rhino making sure the Quadio's had their "About this Quadradisc" inner sleeves, it's nice to know there is some person over there at Sony in Japan that put this package together the way it's being done.

Little things make the purchase price quite worthy to me

Santana First.jpg

Thanks to QQ Member 'britmarc' for the graphic

The nostalgic collector gene in my fiber just loves it when these monster companies have employees that actually care enough about a product release to do a little thing like include a replica of the inner sleeve with the pictures of all of the quad equipment that was issued with the original albums, and the replica quad LP Jacket and label as well. Like Steve Woolard of Rhino making sure the Quadio's had their "About this Quadradisc" inner sleeves, it's nice to know there is some person over there at Sony in Japan that put this package together the way it's being done.

Little things make the purchase price quite worthy to me

View attachment 55471

Thanks to QQ Member 'britmarc' for the graphic

There was certainly a bit of 'noise' when Sony Japan released LOTUS as the 'inagural' Santana release as a superb 3 disc QUAD SACD set with audience noise/ambience in the rears but SONY JAPAN did cite robust sales of the set as inducement to forge onward with Carlos' core albums.

Good things DO come to those who wait and as Jon pointed out, these new 7" QUAD Santana releases are indeed special in every detail and I have no doubt the discrete sonics will be revelatory and heard for the first time since they were remixed to QUAD in the mid 70's.

And thankfully, SONY is not distilling the original QUAD sound by remixing it to accomodate 5.1 channels.

See the source image

A MIGHTY ROAR RESONATES THROUGHOUT THE QUAD WORLD

Last edited:
I jumped on the CDJapan badwagon and preordered both the Santana and Headhunters disks.
These will be fun!
(And I am also hoping all our purchases help grease the gears towards releases of the other Santana greats soon, soon).

I should begin amassing some good scented candles or bakhoor, plates of dates, figs, and walnuts, and appropriate decor for the Caravanserai's arrival...

There was certainly a bit of 'noise' when Sony Japan released LOTUS as the 'inagural' Santana release as a superb 3 disc QUAD SACD set with audience noise/ambience in the rears but SONY JAPAN did cite robust sales of the set as inducement to forge onward with Carlos' core albums.

Good things DO come to those who wait and as Jon pointed out, these new 7" QUAD Santana releases are indeed special in every detail and I have no doubt the discrete sonics will be revelatory and heard for the first time since they were remixed to QUAD in the mid 70's.

And thankfully, SONY is not distilling the original QUAD sound by remixing it to accomodate 5.1 channels.

See the source image

A MIGHTY ROAR RESONATES THROUGHOUT THE QUAD WORLD
Just a note for the artist Lee Conklin, I know him as he lives north of me, did quite a few of Fillmore West posters, is still an active artist creating his signature artwork of body parts.

Definitely going to order this. Before I do, though, could someone here please 'splain to me why I might want to order this title from CDJapan rather than just wait for a listing to appear on the ImportCDs site?

Definitely going to order this. Before I do, though, could someone here please 'splain to me why I might want to order this title from CDJapan rather than just wait for a listing to appear on the ImportCDs site?

Welcome to QQ, @giantleech! To answer your question, which I've also been asking myself: FOMO? (But also loyalty to CDJapan--and perhaps the possibility of receiving it a tiny bit earlier.)

Easy for me to answer. I am a 100% loyal patron of CDJapan for these reasons.
1.Shipment notifications and packaging is stellar, better than anyone, nothing ever comes cracked or dinged.
2. I live in California, obviously the closest state to Japan, from date of release to my door is usually about 5 days.
3. Cost, you can get cheaper from other sites, but my experience from watching QQ is sometimes others get jacked around a bit, I never do.
4. Regular CD vs SHM CD this is an added bonus when there is a world wide release. The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, I have always picked the Japanese version. The upcoming Goats Head Soup for instance I am probably paying $30.00 more than others, but for me it is worth it as I do feel the SHM CD's sound better.
5. OBI Strips, these are valued from collectors, not a big deal for me but still the same there nice.
6. When ordering from CDJapan you get reward points, your paying more, the reward points are not that much, psychological more than anything.
7. Customer support can be challenging at times, but it can be done, like if you accidentally order two.
Hope this helps, I know I answered some specific CDJapan questions mixed in with Japanese release non specific to CDJapan. If I could afford it I would order every release from Japan, but sometimes a CD is just a CD.

Easy for me to answer. I am a 100% loyal patron of CDJapan for these reasons.
1.Shipment notifications and packaging is stellar, better than anyone, nothing ever comes cracked or dinged.
2. I live in California, obviously the closest state to Japan, from date of release to my door is usually about 5 days.
3. Cost, you can get cheaper from other sites, but my experience from watching QQ is sometimes others get jacked around a bit, I never do.
4. Regular CD vs SHM CD this is an added bonus when there is a world wide release. The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, I have always picked the Japanese version. The upcoming Goats Head Soup for instance I am probably paying $30.00 more than others, but for me it is worth it as I do feel the SHM CD's sound better.
5. OBI Strips, these are valued from collectors, not a big deal for me but still the same there nice.
6. When ordering from CDJapan you get reward points, your paying more, the reward points are not that much, psychological more than anything.
7. Customer support can be challenging at times, but it can be done, like if you accidentally order two.
Hope this helps, I know I answered some specific CDJapan questions mixed in with Japanese release non specific to CDJapan. If I could afford it I would order every release from Japan, but sometimes a CD is just a CD.
The last SACD I ordered from them came in about 4 days; have they got some kind of new Concorde like delivery maybe, ‘cause we know once it hits the States, it could take that long just to go 100 miles. Wasn’t there some Aussie song about that?

The last SACD I ordered from them came in about 4 days; have they got some kind of new Concorde like delivery maybe, ‘cause we know once it hits the States, it could take that long just to go 100 miles. Wasn’t there some Aussie song about that?
Simply a problem for CA resident's, everything's a mess out there. Things run smoothly in the other 49. :p

Ordered both Santana and Herbie from CDJapan. I already have a Japanese multichannel SACD of the latter but I am curious of the new mastering, I really love the 7inch replica packaging and it was not too expensive. The Santana disc comes with an “external bonus”, does anyone know what that is?

Last edited:
I got antsy on waiting for importcds to come through with this title, so I pulled the trigger at... cdjapan
* their shipping selections are very limited ("Temporarily Suspended" in red) had to go with DHL, was going to go with basic Air Mail.
unless I'm reading this incorrectly?

View attachment 55551
That's your best bet IMHO :) That's exactly what I did :)

Back