Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sons Of Champlin/Loosen Up Naturally - Love this band, saw 'em many times live, always a great show! Their 1st album here I'd describe as psychedelic, jazz/rock. One of the SF bands that never achieved the success as some of the others. Of course the SM3 treatment made it sound amazing!!! Listening to the song "Get High" the xylophone in the break floated around my living room, just mesmerizing. So it's that time again to turn down the lights, turn on the lava lamps, light some incense, spark up a fat one, set your mind free and let your freak flag fly! For your listening pleasure "Get High".
Sons:Loosen Up Naturally.jpg

Sons:Loosen Up Naturally - bk.jpg

It's like hearing it for the first time all over again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Clement, got a request; would you happen to have a copy of the album discussed below to try through your SM? I’m trying to expand my musical horizons, but LPs of this are needing too many crisp ones.

It's a GREAT album! I only have it on my iPod. Used to play it in the classroom. The kids LOVED it! I'll see if I can find a way to play it through my SM v.2! Black Messiah is maybe just as good!
https://www.allmusic.com/album/voodoo-mw0000255244https://www.allmusic.com/album/black-messiah-mw0002801939

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band/East-West - Great Butterfield cd sounds great in stereo and sounds amazing married with the SM3!!! Stand out track East-West sounded incredible. In the break when everyone riffing off each other I was surrounded with this great music, got me high!!! For your listening pleasure here's the title track.
Butterfield.jpg

Butterfield bk.jpg

Various Artists/The Blues Project - from the box set The Greenwich Village Folk Sceen - During the hay days of folk Elektra released this album to introduce people to some of the lesser accessible artists. I was turned onto this by a good friend it came out in 1965 and it's been a favorite all these years. It was never released on cd until this box set, much to my delight. If you think the SM3 would not do much for music this simple but you'd be wrong. So nicely remastered the SM3 opened a spacious sound that was unexpected and sounded amazing!!! If you listen to the whole album you'll hear some harmonica on a few cuts which is the Lovin' Spoonfuls John Sebastian. I've selected 4 cuts to give you a taste of this music.

Ginger Man/Geoff Muldaur
Bad Dream Blues/Dave Van Ronk
Devil Got My Woman/Geoff Muldaur
Blow Whistle Blow/Eric Von Schmidt
Various:The Blues Project.jpg

Variious:Folk Scene - bk.jpg

Variious:Folk Scene.jpg

Variious:Folk Scene - bk.jpg

Justin Hayward/Songwriter - Feelin' Moody I pulled out some solo alumni from the band for a listen. First up Songwriter Justin's 1st solo and a good one. I had to hear this through the SM3 and of course it sounds amazing!!! This album is a great listen in stereo or the SM3. For me the stand out song is "Nostradamus", lyrically, musically and here it is.
Justin Hayward:Songwriter.jpg

Justin Hayward & John Lodge/Blue Jays - Still feelin' Moody next up "Blue Jays" a great collaboration and a perfect candidate for the SM3, turns out it sounds amazing too!!! Go figure, who'd thunk? A solid album from start to finish but here's my 2 favorites.

"My Brother"

"Nights Winters Years"

Justin Hayward & John Lodge:Blue Jays.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, all the Moodies stuff deserves the Blu ray Atmos treatment!!!

Mike Pinder/Among The Stars - Still feelin' Moody I'll finish this trilogy with this very pleasing offering from Mr. Pinder and when aquatinted with the SM3 sounds amazing!!! I have 2 songs from this album I'd like to share with you.

"When Your Sleeping" - A father's love for his child.
"The World Today" - Catchy tune potential ear worm.

Mike Pinder:Among The Stars.jpg

The Congress Of Wonders/Revolting - Probably aren't many people who have heard of these guys, not well known but very funny. Is there's anybody here who's heard of Star Trek here's a great spoof of the show and movies. So for shits and giggles I present "Star Trip". This kind of comedy opens right up when given the SM3 treatment, histerically
amazing!!!

revoltingcover.jpg

Playing some Parliament through the Surround Master made me wonder why i hadn't spun some Funkadelic . . . oh, :poop:! The album begins with crackles of feedback bouncing from speaker to speaker and then a deep voice comes from rear right, echoing in the other speakers, informing listeners that "Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time, for y'all have knocked her up again. I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe. I was not offended, for I knew I had to rise above it all or drown in my own shit." "Maggot Brain" is EVERYTHING i'd hoped it would be! A melodic guitar comes from the back left, picking slow and pretty, and then Eddie Hazel's solo begins back right, trippy and magnificent. With every wah-wah and fuzzy feedback, the sound carries over to the left side and all around, bringing me memories of all of those HigH school daze when this LP was headphone fodder. George Clinton had told Hazel "to play like his mother had died, to picture that day, what he would feel, how he would make sense of his life, how he would take a measure of everything that was inside him." Hazel, reportedly under the influence of LSD, delivers one of the all-time great psychedelic solos. As the solo progresses and gains in majesty, the sound comes from all around, blowing my mind, the SM making hallucinogens superfluous. The rest of the album is also amazing through the the Surround Master, but "Maggot Brain" is the pinnacle of Funkadelic's guitar-driven funk attack, so i'll leave it at that! Absolutely Essential!
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 11.01.00 AM.png

https://www.fender.com/articles/fen...n-of-eddie-hazel-and-funkadelics-maggot-brain

Last edited:
Nicky Holland/Nicky Holland - After working on 4 albums with Tears For Fears and with Cyndi Lauper on "Hat Full Of Stars", she released this solo album. I love this album and play it frequently. Not a bad song on it and to prove it here are some tasty tunes for your listening pleasure. With the SM3 magic, amazing sexy stuff!!!

"Ladykiller"

"Running Around Again" My favorite.

"The Night We Never Met"
Nicky Holland.jpg

Lauren Christy/Lauren Christy - When she released her 1st album it didn't get a lot of attention. When the movie "Color Of Night" her song which was the title track became a hit. Originally the song was not on her album but added after the fact. It brought more attention to the album which had some moderate success. For me every song was stellar with great production and recording, married with the SM3 sounds amazing!!! If your not familiar with her music allow me to introduce you to a few tunes For your listening pleasure.

"The Rumor" A catchy tune.

"Adult Afraid Of The Light"

"Meet Me In America"

"Anywhere The Wind Blows" from the soundtrack "Seven Girlfriends" A beautiful tune if you like this sort of thing, not so beautiful if you don't. You be the judge.

Lauren Christy.jpg

Back