The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 7.30.43 AM.jpg

Best part of retirement.... Not having that feeling of dread Sunday afternoon, knowing the weekend is coming to an end and it's back to the grind. In fact, Sunday night is my favorite now.

Ugh, yeah. I'm still doing the grind, and yes.....9 out of 10 Sundays, I have that dread. Sure, I like my job enough, but after 37 years of grinding...I'm sort of over it. (working in general)

I realize some, if not many, work more years than I have, but anyway.

Ugh, yeah. I'm still doing the grind, and yes.....9 out of 10 Sundays, I have that dread. Sure, I like my job enough, but after 37 years of grinding...I'm sort of over it. (working in general)

I realize some, if not many, work more years than I have, but anyway.
Actually, 37 years is how long I've been working in the Ag industry, with a good paying job. You could actually tack another 11 years onto that since I worked on my dad's grain and livestock farm since I was 12. As kids, we were expected to work after school and dealing with livestock all weekend. Again, that's not unusual in the 70's if you were a farm kid.

Actually, 37 years is how long I've been working in the Ag industry, with a good paying job. You could actually tack another 11 years onto that since I worked on my dad's grain and livestock farm since I was 12. As kids, we were expected to work after school and dealing with livestock all weekend. Again, that's not unusual in the 70's if you were a farm kid.

Years ago, a friend at work passed on this advice about retirement: "A company will just use you and abuse you, (in
fact, even more so if you own the thing) so do what you're gonna do."

Best part of retirement.... Not having that feeling of dread Sunday afternoon, knowing the weekend is coming to an end and it's back to the grind. In fact, Sunday night is my favorite now.

Yeah, I love those Sunday night games and the euphoria of knowing that I don't have work on Monday. But I still fall asleep watching the games just like when I was working. :ROFLMAO:

was just about to say, cant wait to be able to stay up and watch Sunday Night football. You guys beat me to it.
I started out as an engineer for a big company. Bought a small business in 1988 ( what was I thinking ? ).
Used to be 12 hour days plus Saturdays. Now its 'only' 10 hour days and virtually no Saturdays.
Vacation time is non existent. 62 years old and I get 8 to 10 days vacation per year.

So - yes - Im ready to be out of the daily grind. Hell, Ill be able to drive to Detroit to enjoy the Super Bowl parade !

And - like Gene - grew up on a farm. Work career began at a young age. Its time to kick back and enjoy life.

And, in other news, what do people think of the new rule whereby a fair catch in the field of play is taken out at the 25 yard line?
Didn't know that. I assume a new rule like that would be only intended to speed the game as it certainly has nothing to do with player safety.
I guess I feel it dimishes the skill of the kicker. Placing it deep with a then fair catch say on the two yard line can be critical to the defense.
Now that I think and write, I don't like the rule, it takes away skill and strategy for a team, while is a zero for player safety.

(n)

And, in other news, what do people think of the new rule whereby a fair catch in the field of play is taken out at the 25 yard line?
It sucks.

Then why even bother with the kickoff. Might as well make it like a scrimmage. Didn't we talk about this matter earlier in this thread?

Didn't know that. I assume a new rule like that would be only intended to speed the game as it certainly has nothing to do with player safety.
I guess I feel it dimishes the skill of the kicker. Placing it deep with a then fair catch say on the two yard line can be critical to the defense.
Now that I think and write, I don't like the rule, it takes away skill and strategy for a team, while is a zero for player safety.

(n)
Actually,whether valid or not, the intent is for player safety. Kickoff returns are very dangerous as both players are sprinting towards each other at top speed.

Actually,whether valid or not, the intent is for player safety. Kickoff returns are very dangerous as both players are sprinting towards each other at top speed.
Yes, I agree, but a fair catch makes the point of player safety a moot point.
There is still going to be a fair catch, safety handled.
The way I see it, as per what AR said, why even have a kick off then if it is guranteed with a fair catch to start at the 25?
While keeping the kick off in play, there is still room for error, returner waves for fair catch, but then drops the ball allowing Special Teams to make a play.
I just don't see the player safety angle, I only see the new rule as speeding up the game.

Now, when they first started the fair catch wave, that was of course for player safety, I have seen some guys get blasted back in the day, but the new rule now, no such added player safety.
Kick returners first goal is to catch and run, return the ball, that has not changed.

Wow, I hadn't heard that either. Can you do that on both punts & KOs?
Don't like it. College has some sort of rule like that.
NFL can't leave it alone...
I like the days when players blocking on kick offs could lock arms & make a wedge! Go look at some old film of those days..
I wonder how much teams will even take advantage of this?

Back