What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grabbed this one from the local library
1701666966515.jpeg

A big plus for this book was that it didn’t briefly skim over the 80s as things were winding down with the original lineup. It’s kind of common for music biography books (in my experience) to spend a lot of time on the formation and glory years of an artist or band. But I also want to read about the not-so-popular years and the albums that were put out.

Three chapters around the movie Slade in Flame was two too many for me, but otherwise an enjoyable book.

91DbJmV-tsL._SL1500_.jpg

Chris Morris, Los Lobos: Dream In Blue (U of Texas Press, 2015). A brisk, well-crafted band bio by a guy who's known them from the start--which, as I learned from the book, was a lot earlier than I'd realized. (I'll be seeing the band soon on their 50th Anniversary tour!) Bonus: Morris finishes with a discographical essay that runs down a bunch of great albums and compilations featuring the Lobos' musical ancestors, contemporaries, and progeny. Currently on sale for 40% off!
https://utpress.utexas.edu/9780292748231/

I loved this book. I’m a big Journey fan and this went into a lot of detail about things not normally given much attention.

I read the Kindle version, but the print version is apparently over 1,100 pages, so it’s not for a casual-fan audience. Stories about people/bands like Pat Marrow and Frumious Bandersnatch aren’t going to be of much interest to people who only care about Steve Perry or the Escape/Frontiers era. But I enjoyed every bit of it.

It covers all the other projects for members (what they were doing before, during and after Journey), and is about as up-to-date with all the recent drama that as it can be being published this month.

The author is pulling quotes from all sorts of sources, so it feels like you’re hearing the story directly from all the main and behind-the-scenes players, as well as artists who were in the Journey orbit throughout the years.

A great book to end my 2023 music reading.

811j7rGudCL._SL1500_.jpg

Marc Myers, Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B, and Pop (Grove, 2016). Just finished this very enjoyable read--although I took several months to get through it. (Okay, I'll be honest: it was bathroom reading. But really good bathroom reading.) Forty-five interviews--consisting of just the interviewees' answers, not the questions--of the singers, songwriters, and sometimes engineers & producers behind a slew of iconic radio hits, from "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" to "Losing My Religion." The Isleys, the Kinks, Tammy Wynette, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Elvis Costello, The Clash, Merle Haggard...all kinds of people. Some more engaging/enlightening than others, but all worth reading. And bite-sized: three to seven pages apiece. Moving on this week to Anatomy of 55 More Songs.

1710177173382.png

Geesus. Holy effin.................
My Effin Life. Geddy Lee. A powerful book that I HIGHLY recommend.

And if you have read this book - or even not - here is a 38 minute interview - an incredible and powerful interview - that talks about the book and then
focuses on the passing of Neil Peart. I have ALWAYS had the utmost respect for Geds. This video had me shed a tear for the upstanding man that Geds truly is, and as he himself sheds a tear or two in the interview. Carve out 38 minutes to watch this

here is the vid

Amazing video, thanks for sharing that.

Lillian Roxon's ROCK Encyclopedia is without a doubt one of the best OG books on rock. It's gone through various "revised" editions (many of which were produced after Roxon's death) and they are of dubious quality, IMO. Many of the groups she writes about in the first edition (Bonzo Dog Dooh-Dah Band, The Shangri-las, etc.) get cut out of later versions in favor of more "contemporary" artists and the book is none-the-better for it. These additions lack the wit and charm of the Australian author's unique writing style and perspective. Second-hand copies of the paperback edition are still widely available, but if you want the real thing, make sure it includes the verbiage, PRINTED COMPLETE FROM THE READABLE TYPE OF THE FIRST EDITION, on the back cover.

Roxon1.jpg

Roxon2.jpg

Hung Up On A Dream is a breezy read that does a faithful job of retelling the history of The Zombies. But, more importantly, it includes an almost day-by-day account of how The Zombies recorded, mixed, and produced an album that today is regarded as one of the most important of the Sixties, Odessey And Oracle. No matter how well you think you know this beloved record, reading this book will enhance your overall enjoyment and understanding of this classic LP. Highly recommended for all fans!

Zombies1.jpg
Zombies2.jpg

From the pages of ZIGZAG magazine comes Pete Frame's, Rock Family Trees. Who knew that Rock 'n' Roll minutia could be so much fun? The book is entirely hand lettered by Frame and his meticulously researched family trees are jam-packed with interesting factoids. I think it's safe to say there has never been another rock book quite like this one. Awesome from cover to cover!

RockFamilyTrees1.jpg
RockFamilyTrees2.jpg
RockFamilyTrees3.jpg
RockFamilyTrees4.jpg
RockFamilyTrees5.jpg

Back