What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow Patrol- Final Straw (Dual Disc DVD-A 48/24)

Musically a pleasant surprise, only being familiar with their "One hundred Suns" CD (a bit too monochromatic for me, but fine nevertheless) I got this one after seeing in this forum recently that it existed.

Mixwise it's about a ...5???? At least it's not brickwalled and it's a bit flat, in a good way , no booming bass or tweeter burning highs...
Musically , a 9. A lot more ground was explored, sometimes even a bit "Crimsonish" (!)

BTW, for those interested, it's available in yamazon.de

Snow Patrol- Final Straw (Dual Disc DVD-A 48/24)

Musically a pleasant surprise, only being familiar with their "One hundred Suns" CD (a bit too monochromatic for me, but fine nevertheless) I got this one after seeing in this forum recently that it existed.

Mixwise it's about a ...5???? At least it's not brickwalled and it's a bit flat, in a good way , no booming bass or tweeter burning highs...
Musically , a 9. A lot more ground was explored, sometimes even a bit "Crimsonish" (!)

BTW, for those interested, it's available in yamazon.de

Totally agree. I just recently got the dual disk as well as wanted more music to listen in the car, I had the Sacd already.
I love Snow Patrol's music and even though the mix is very average to nothing I still would score this very high as the recording sounds so much better as its lossless and not brickwalled.
I still give this high marks then at least an 8 in my books.

Tommy dvd a-will be here any minute-on my list for tonite with a few brews and some herbs to enhance the tweeters. :smokin

ahhh! It arrived! I never expected this, in a dvd a jewel case. like years ago! happy happy happy :banana:

Elton John:
Captain Fantastic
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across the Water

I was in my late teens/early 20s when EJ made it big. I didn't mind some of his stuff but I didn't really get into him and I certainly never bought any of his records. Overrated was what I thought. A few months back I was reading the comments here about Honky Chateau and decided ah what the heck and I bought the sacd. Could not believe the mix - it was outstanding. Rocket Man, which was one of the few EJ songs that I did like back in the day just blew me away.

Now I have these other 3 sacds and I find that each time I listen to his music I just get more and more hooked on his voice. His voice sounds so good on these discs. I never realized before what a unique, wonderfully sounding voice he has. These are the kind of realizations that I continue to discover because of this forum.

WOW! You are spot on, what a track Truenorth is.
The entire effort should have been part of my collection years ago.

One thought, on "Mixtaped" that background noise/hiss drives me crazy. The song would be so haunting without that going on in the background. Any thoughts on why that noise was included? Was it to represent the old time "Tape Hiss?"

I suspect the effects are from SW's "Bass Communion" projecKt. I could live without them as well...

The album is as bit of a "mixed" bag for me... some superlative tracks (TrueNorth), then others that I could leave.....(Mixtaped & Pidgeon Drummer)

Elton John:
Captain Fantastic
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman Across the Water

I was in my late teens/early 20s when EJ made it big. I didn't mind some of his stuff but I didn't really get into him and I certainly never bought any of his records. Overrated was what I thought. A few months back I was reading the comments here about Honky Chateau and decided ah what the heck and I bought the sacd. Could not believe the mix - it was outstanding. Rocket Man, which was one of the few EJ songs that I did like back in the day just blew me away.

Now I have these other 3 sacds and I find that each time I listen to his music I just get more and more hooked on his voice. His voice sounds so good on these discs. I never realized before what a unique, wonderfully sounding voice he has. These are the kind of realizations that I continue to discover because of this forum.

delighted to hear you're enjoying them so! (y)

they are the reason I got into SACD, having bought all the Elton SACDs when they first came out but only having DVD-V/Dolby Digutal & DTS for multichannel music, I didn't hear them in surround until I got my first Universal DVD player with SACD capability in 2008 and only had an inkling of how good these mixes may be by hearing the Dolby Digital 5.1 on the Yellow Brick Road DVD-Audio! (which, of course, I got as soon as it came out in '04.. so it was a 4-year long wait to hear the other Elton surround mixes, punctuated by some cool surround music on various DTS CDs which were mostly excellent but I only had a few they weren't easy to get in this country 10 years ago and a small number of Warner DVD-A's, the usual suspects Rumours, Hotel California, etc. which were all great even if only in Dolby D.. Ignorance is bliss!).

Well, what a revelatory experience the Elton SACDs were! They were (and still are) absolutely superb surround mixes and sounded lovelier than they had any right to. I rapidly set about buying as many rock/pop/jazz surround SACDs as I could lay my hands on (starting with things like Ziggy Stardust, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Dark Side Of The Moon, Brothers in Arms, Marvin Gaye Collection, Nine Inch Nails, Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue, Brubeck's Time Out, it turned out I already owned Goldfrapp's Supernature SACD since 2005 but hadn't realised, Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd, The Who's Tommy, Steely Dan's Gaucho.. basically all those readily available at the time) and from those 7 SACDs in '04 to approx 70/80 when I joined QQ 4 and a bit years ago, til now (300+ and finding more goodies on the format almost everyday!) this has been a great period of exciting discovery for me of music and mixes on SACD and I have the Elton's to thank for all that.

I've said it before on here but I guess it's worth saying again now... even if you don't care for EJ as an artist, if you're a surround music devotee and you don't have those classic 70's Elton albums in surround SACD you are seriously missing out on some of the best surround music mixes the format has to offer.

I was of the same mind with Elton John but I snapped up his catalogue when it hit sacd too. Those were certainly heady days...I remember the Dylan collection coming out all at once, the Rolling Stones' 60s albums, CCR! sacds, the Doors and Genesis and the Talking Heads. Who among us will ever forget the Rolling Stone magazine sampler disc included with issue 500? The future seemed so bright..

I first jumped on the bandwagon after ordering some 1500. bucks of dvd-audio and sacd releases direct from Futureshop in Canada. It was all readily available and at prices of 35.00 per dvd-audio. The tipping point was soo close to the edge when the baloon popped. Nowadays the Music Industry is a shadow of its former self and the world is filled with self-righteous thieves who feel its their "right" to steal music. But I digress..

I too am on a quest and hunt for sacds and dvd-audio and am rewarded every week with unexpected gems. But man; the labels haven't made this easy....I'm looking at the boxset releases for David Bowie's "Station to Station" and Muse "the Resistance".

Back to the Elton John stuff...wait until you hear "Mona Lisas and Madhatters" from Honky Chateau....the mandolin is stunning. Avoid Peachtree Road...it sounds contrived and somewhat tired.

Not to mention the georgous backing vocals (by Elton himself I think) in the rears. This song is easily in my top 5 Elton.

sure is a stunner! :)

imagine a similarly gorgeous surround treatment for a song like "Ticking" where a solo Elton similarly multitracks lead & harmony vocals, with Greg Penny beautifully, sympathetically mixing it all into stunning 5.1..

imagine is sadly all we can do unless Universal ever see fit to release the remaining Elton 70's classics (Blue Moves, Caribou, Rock Of The Westies, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player..) that were slated for surround SACD release in 2005... :(

I forget what I ordered..couple of packages wating in the Post Office for me ....well, one of them is one I got from a fellow QQer! (PT DEADWING DTS DVD-V) ...The other one ...we'll see...

Deadwing is indeed available in both:
A "special edition" DVD-V that comes with a 72 page hardback book package, and includes both the CD and DVD-V 5.1 surround sound version. But this doesn't include any of the bonus material or features included on the separately released "DTS" DVD-A edition.
The DVD-A edition imho is vastly superior having PCM stereo 24/48k, DTS 5.1 24/48k and DVD-A 24/48k, but most importantly has 5.1 versions of "Revenant", "Mother & Child Divided" and "Half-light"

The DVD-A is worth the money just to get "Half-light" which was the B side of the Lazarus single and imho is the best song Steven Wilson has ever written and doesn't appear on any other studio album (it's on Atlanta and Anesthetize)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XdTvfH8FWY

The 5.1 version is just chilling.

Deadwing is indeed available in both:
A "special edition" DVD-V that comes with a 72 page hardback book package, and includes both the CD and DVD-V 5.1 surround sound version. But this doesn't include any of the bonus material or features included on the separately released "DTS" DVD-A edition.
The DVD-A edition imho is vastly superior having PCM stereo 24/48k, DTS 5.1 24/48k and DVD-A 24/48k, but most importantly has 5.1 versions of "Revenant", "Mother & Child Divided" and "Half-light"

The DVD-A is worth the money just to get "Half-light" which was the B side of the Lazarus single and imho is the best song Steven Wilson has ever written and doesn't appear on any other studio album (it's on Atlanta and Anesthetize)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XdTvfH8FWY

The 5.1 version is just chilling.

Also don't forget the hidden "remake" of Shesmovedon....on the DVD-A.

Is that on the DVD-V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back