WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I missed this on the thread, but here is some info that spells some things out:: release date and size (?)
https://drgnews.com/2023/03/29/pete-townshend-whos-next-box-set-coming-this-fall/I would think the physical size would include the surround disc...
What worries me from that interview is him saying he kept a few things back. By no means am I anything resembling or who expert like many of you here or on other similar forums. I can totally get the possibility of their not being much in the vault but when he immediately follows it by and Ive held things back I can't help but worry how much was in that second category that would have been truly neat to see. I'd be sad or to miss out on a rather different early taker demo but even more so on a song that doesn't exist in any other formats of release. And he says something about not trying to create the story of lifehouse I'm a little confused if that meant just in the past or the new box is not trying to show you what it would have been. Considering the novel which I thought was supposed to recreate that idea to some effect I hope there's at least some component of the things in the box that they give us a clear vision as can be had of his lifehouse vision and extras hopefully at least akin to sells out or at least some goodies We haven't heard in non-miniscule amounts. We'll see I guess.

So, that footage is from the 1977 Kilburn show right? I was looking to buy the bluray on Amazon, and it says I bought it in 2008.... WTF? I'm pretty sure I never watched it...now to find that damn thing.

No. That came from Shepherton film studios in May of 1978. Keith's last ever performance. It can be seen in the Kids Are Alright movie.

What worries me from that interview is him saying he kept a few things back. By no means am I anything resembling or who expert like many of you here or on other similar forums. I can totally get the possibility of their not being much in the vault but when he immediately follows it by and Ive held things back I can't help but worry how much was in that second category that would have been truly neat to see. I'd be sad or to miss out on a rather different early taker demo but even more so on a song that doesn't exist in any other formats of release. And he says something about not trying to create the story of lifehouse I'm a little confused if that meant just in the past or the new box is not trying to show you what it would have been. Considering the novel which I thought was supposed to recreate that idea to some effect I hope there's at least some component of the things in the box that they give us a clear vision as can be had of his lifehouse vision and extras hopefully at least akin to sells out or at least some goodies We haven't heard in non-miniscule amounts. We'll see I guess.

It's unclear if he meant he held material back this time, or if he has in the past but is letting it out now. That said, I think it's pretty rare when "everything" gets released. There's almost always *something* more that could be released. I'd say it's rare that such material is mind-blowing. Like, there are the "final demos" that ended up on Lifehouse Chronicles, but there's also stuff like the early demos of Behind Blue Eyes that were released on his website, the alternate mixes/edits of Pure and Easy, Let's See Action, Time Is Passing that ended up on Who Came First, etc.

As far as Lifehouse goes, I don't think the concept was ever finalized; the project became Who's Next before it could be. There's of course the stuff from Lifehouse Chronicles, but that's a 1999 vision, not a 1971 vision.

Because I don't think many people are comfortable with releasing every last scrap possible. Both artists and record companies.
I seem to recall Sony/Columbia Records releasing some Billy Joel outtakes and/or demos without Billy’s consent. They could do it because of earlier contractual agreements (and Billy was not producing any commercial pop music at the time).

Billy referred to the release as “Seeds and Stems” because, in his words, “you’re not supposed to smoke that sh*t!”

What an idiotic decision
I’m probably still going to get it for the live stuff but…

King Crimson/DGM raised my standards too high

posted on the whos FB page today.....https://www.facebook.com/thewho

You may have noticed that we've been posting a couple of videos on here of late of songs off Who's Next. Is this a tease for the forthcoming box set? a couple of you asked. Well, yes, I guess it is. Here's Simon Townshend and his band at TRI Studios in California in 2012 doing 'Going Mobile', the only song from the album that The 'oo have never done live.

IT'S HERE!!! Release date is Sept 15
https://shop.thewho.com/products/whos-next-life-house-super-deluxe-edition-10cd-blu-ray
who_s-who-10-cd.png

BLU-RAY AUDIO: Steven Wilson Atmos Mix (48kHz 24-bit)** Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix (48kHz 24-bit)** Steven Wilson Stereo Mix (96kHz 24-bit)* Original 1971 Stereo Mix (96kHz 24-bit) 1. Baba O’Riley 2. Bargain 3. Love Ain’t For Keeping 4. My Wife 5. The Song Is Over 6. Getting In Tune 7. Going Mobile 8. Behind Blue Eyes 9. Won’t Get Fooled Again

Bonus Tracks: Steven Wilson Atmos Mix (48kHz 24-bit) Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix (48kHz 24-bit) 1. The Seeker (Unedited Version)** 2. Here For More* 3. Now I'm A Farmer** 4. I Don't Know Myself (Eel Pie Sound Version)** 5. Water (IBC Version)** 6. Naked Eye (Olympic Sound Version)** 7. Pure And Easy** 8. Too Much of Anything** 9. Let's See Action** 10. When I Was a Boy** 11. Join Together (Unedited Version)** 12. Put The Money Down** 13. Relay (Unedited Version)** 14. Long Live Rock**

Last edited:
Back