WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had tickets for that show but my mom wouldn't let me go because of the distance and that the plans were to stay overnight. I was living in Clearwater, FL and was 15 at the time. I still have the unused ticket:(

edit...I was able to see them a few times since, thankfully.
I didn't know you were a Florida boy.

I had tickets for that show but my mom wouldn't let me go because of the distance and that the plans were to stay overnight. I was living in Clearwater, FL and was 15 at the time. I still have the unused ticket:(

I'm sorry to write that you missed one for the books, my friend. On the other hand, I'm happy to read that you did see them later, but, at the time, I thought that this would be the last opportunity to see them, so I would've begged, borrowed or stole to get there. Did you get your ticket at Tampa Stadium? :unsure:

I didn't know you were a Florida boy.

Born in Ft. Lauderdale and have lived in the Tampabay area the last 45 years.
Lakeland Civic Center was where I saw the majority of shows, along with Tampa Stadium, and Bayfront Center.

I saw them, including Moon, at Central Park in NY. Paid 3 bucks admission. No guitars, amps or drums were destroyed.

I'm sorry to write that you missed one for the books, my friend. On the other had, I'm happy to read that you did see them later, but, at the time, I thought that this would be the last opportunity to see them, so I would've begged, borrowed or stole to get there. Did you get your ticket at Tampa Stadium? :unsure:

I saw them at Tampa Stadium. I don't remember where I got the ticket to Orlando. I used to drive to Tampa to get tickets for the shorter lines compared to Clearwater Mall, but I can't remember exactly where at the moment. It will come to me...

The last time I saw them was on the Farewell Tour of '82 in Orlando. One of the warmup bands that afternoon was the B-52s, but one of their band members got hit with a piece of 2 x 4, thrown from the crowd, which brought their set to screeching halt. It was quite clear that the audience was there for maximum R&B: not new wave.

When The Who finally got to take the stage, in the late evening, John got to step up from behind his stand-mounted brandy bottles and do "Boris the Spider" and "My Wife," and the whole band, including Kenney Jones, was in rare form. The entire audience was one that night, especially when the band did their anthemic and thunderous rendition of "See Me, Feel Me" ... and the obligatory transition into "Listening to You" -- a song that has always floated on the Ox's bass -- did its magic by lifting everyone off of their asses. A beautiful scene that I was very proud to witness. :smokin
I was there, too. The other band was Joan Jett & The Heartbreakers. A much better lineup.

I was there, too. The other band was Joan Jett & The Heartbreakers. A much better lineup.

I was a huge B-52s fan at the time, and Who fan of course. A little after that Who show in Orlando, I saw The B-52s at Tampa Theatre and was standing directly in front and center. I had an isle seat and ran faster than anyone to the front when the lights went out. Great memory of Strobe Light which was the opening song.

Born in Ft. Lauderdale and have lived in the Tampabay area the last 45 years.
Lakeland Civic Center was where I saw the majority of shows, along with Tampa Stadium, and Bayfront Center.
Yeah I grew up in the Lakeland area, born there. I actually went to more shows at Bayfront, the Curtis Hixon center, and in Orlando than in Lakeland. I did go see Sea Level and Jefferson Starship at the Arena / Civic Center in Lakeland, as well as the Charlie Daniels Band. I went to pretty much every "Rock Superbowl" at the old Tangerine Bowl in Orlando.

Was at the Led Zep concert (Tampa stadium) when it started raining and Zep hauled ass to the airport, got on their plane and left w/o telling anyone. After a few hours the little barricade in front of the stage was broken down by irate concert goers and me and my buddy left just as the riot police were staging.When we hit I4 the radio said the cops were busting a few heads....
When I was in my late teens we'd drive over to St Pete or Tampa for a concert, then drive down Highway 60 all the way to "the palms" at Vero Beach and watch the sun come up. Then turn around and drive home. Good old Yeehaw Junction. lol. Went through there going to Vero a few years ago to see a new grandson. How my stepson ended up in Vero I don't know.....but pretty sure a woman was involved.

Yeah I grew up in the Lakeland area, born there. I actually went to more shows at Bayfront, the Curtis Hixon center, and in Orlando than in Lakeland. I did go see Sea Level and Jefferson Starship at the Arena / Civic Center in Lakeland, as well as the Charlie Daniels Band. I went to pretty much every "Rock Superbowl" at the old Tangerine Bowl in Orlando.

Was at the Led Zep concert (Tampa stadium) when it started raining and Zep hauled ass to the airport, got on their plane and left w/o telling anyone. After a few hours the little barricade in front of the stage was broken down by irate concert goers and me and my buddy left just as the riot police were staging.When we hit I4 the radio said the cops were busting a few heads....
When I was in my late teens we'd drive over to St Pete or Tampa for a concert, then drive down Highway 60 all the way to "the palms" at Vero Beach and watch the sun come up. Then turn around and drive home. Good old Yeehaw Junction. lol. Went through there going to Vero a few years ago to see a new grandson. How my stepson ended up in Vero I don't know.....but pretty sure a woman was involved.

Yeehaw Junction. Been through there many times. Do you recall what that intersection of highways looked like back in the early-80s? Not a place where you wanted to break down after dark. ;)

Yeehaw Junction. Been through there many times. Do you recall what that intersection of highways looked like back in the early-80s? Not a place where you wanted to break down after dark. ;)
Was not through there in the 80's but there was not much to it in the 60's and 70's. Gas station was pretty much it from what I remember. No toll road going North/South as when I was there a few years ago. At least now the canals looked maintained, back then they were surrounded by tall shrubs/trees and weeds, snake/gator looking territory.

Do you pass through on the toll road?

In the mid 70's ish a guy I knew who was a real, uh, doper, anyway he left a friends house where we had a get-together, between lakeland and bartow just off 98. Highland City. This guy lived and worked in Lake Wales at a horse farm. Pretty much wasted when he arrived, no better when he left. Word had it he was sampling the horse farm's morphine supply.
Anyway, he had a flat tire before he got back to Lake Wales. Eventually a bus hauling a bunch of migrant workers (I'm guessing because they did not speak English he said) stopped and picked him up.
He passed out, but they woke him up way past Lake Wales at Yeehaw, where they dropped him off and the gas station fixed his tire. The story gets hazy after that but somehow he made it back to his car somewhere between Bartow and Lake Wales after daylight...a pretty good distance...got it going and made it back to the horse ranch. There was nothing between Lake Wales and Yeehaw Junction back then but the ocassional isolated residence (well the Kissimmee River lock and a motel at the end of Lake Kissimmee). I would not have wanted to break down on that stretch back in those days. Only stretch of highway 60 I've been on for many years out that way is between the toll road (Yeehaw Junction) and Vero Beach. The toll road stretch between Orlando and Yeehaw is pretty barren IIRC as well except for a rest stop with a Duncan's Donuts. Good coffee after drinking motel restaurant swill in Vero. lol.

So...when my cousin (a Who - or more specifically a Pete Townshend - fanatic) joked that this new tour should be billed as the 40th Anniversary Tour of The First Farewell Tour...he was not kidding?!

Was not through there in the 80's but there was not much to it in the 60's and 70's. Gas station was pretty much it from what I remember. No toll road going North/South as when I was there a few years ago. At least now the canals looked maintained, back then they were surrounded by tall shrubs/trees and weeds, snake/gator looking territory.

Do you pass through on the toll road?

In the mid 70's ish a guy I knew who was a real, uh, doper, anyway he left a friends house where we had a get-together, between lakeland and bartow just off 98. Highland City. This guy lived and worked in Lake Wales at a horse farm. Pretty much wasted when he arrived, no better when he left. Word had it he was sampling the horse farm's morphine supply.
Anyway, he had a flat tire before he got back to Lake Wales. Eventually a bus hauling a bunch of migrant workers (I'm guessing because they did not speak English he said) stopped and picked him up.
He passed out, but they woke him up way past Lake Wales at Yeehaw, where they dropped him off and the gas station fixed his tire. The story gets hazy after that but somehow he made it back to his car somewhere between Bartow and Lake Wales after daylight...a pretty good distance...got it going and made it back to the horse ranch. There was nothing between Lake Wales and Yeehaw Junction back then but the ocassional isolated residence (well the Kissimmee River lock and a motel at the end of Lake Kissimmee). I would not have wanted to break down on that stretch back in those days. Only stretch of highway 60 I've been on for many years out that way is between the toll road (Yeehaw Junction) and Vero Beach. The toll road stretch between Orlando and Yeehaw is pretty barren IIRC as well except for a rest stop with a Duncan's Donuts. Good coffee after drinking motel restaurant swill in Vero. lol.

Wow, thrown off of a bus at Yeehaw...if that doesn't get you do some soul-searching, I don't know what will...

I started making the drive between Croom and South Florida back in the early-80s. Back then, I-95 had a break in it -- which I believe was between Ft. Pierce and Vero -- so places to cross directly east to west (or vice versa) were more limited than they are today. Anyway, I needed to cross over from east to west, from time to time, so the flashing light at the Yeehaw Junction was something I crossed under many times.

I've always had a problem with toll roads, in general, so I used to get off the turnpike there to reduce the government "suckage" of my wallet. You're absolutely right, though...there wasn't much out there then and I imagine that there's not much out there now. :smokin

Wow, thrown off of a bus at Yeehaw...if that doesn't get you do some soul-searching, I don't know what will...

I started making the drive between Croom and South Florida back in the early-80s. Back then, I-95 had a break in it -- which I believe was between Ft. Pierce and Vero -- so places to cross directly east to west (or vice versa) were more limited than they are today. Anyway, I needed to cross over from east to west, from time to time, so the flashing light at the Yeehaw Junction was something I crossed under many times.

I've always had a problem with toll roads, in general, so I used to get off the turnpike there to reduce the government "suckage" of my wallet. You're absolutely right, though...there wasn't much out there then and I imagine that there's not much out there now. :smokin
Croom as in Sumter County, above highway 50? :unsure: I used to ride my Suzuki X5 to Silver Lake/Croom-a-coochie/Withlacoochie River or else the old "bushback" mine off 50/I75. Had a flat tire once just past Highway 50 and two Hells Angels hauled it to a gas station, fixed it and brought it back to me. Every 15 year old's thrill. lol. That was cool.

Back