WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess a really good Who's Next I would treasure over Animals. Good grief, I mean (for me) it was too late for teenage years, and early 70's was not an especially great year for a young married guy with a 1A draft status , but damn the music was good.
Early 70's the British groups were kicking ass, Who, Led Zep, Traffic, Moody Blues, ELP, PF, etc. The USA was as well with Grand Funk, Doors, Alice Cooper, Allman Bros, and more. (I'd give the Brits the edge here though on the sheer number of supergroups)

Music wise it was a great time to be alive and form musical tastes that would last a lifetime. I met a fellow soldier that had all his LP's shipped over, he had a massive collection and I discovered all sorts of music I had either never heard of or just a few cuts..
"Ohh woo, what cha gonna do about me" ring a bell for any of you old duffers here in the USA? Quintessential California; Quicksilver Messenger Service.

This album is a masterpiece of rock 'n roll. The respected music journalist David Hepworth wrote a whole book about how 1971 was the greatest year for rock 'n roll and he put Who's Next as the best rock 'n roll album released that year. So it's the greatest rock 'n roll album ever made.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Dull-Moment-1971-Exploded/dp/1250130913
This is the album that even people indifferent to The Who enjoy. Like several other posters here, I will happily fork out big bucks for the definitive multichannel mix here. Anything better than the weedy, flat, Japanese stereo SACD is going to bring the house down. Forget Pink Floyd and Animals.

Every track on Who's Next is a gem. My favorite lyrics on the album are from Entwhistle's My Wife. The song is great comical relief inserted in the middle of some really serious tracks. It cracks me up every time I hear it, and oh the imagery of what he says he needs to escape the wrath of his angry wife.

Every track on Who's Next is a gem. My favorite lyrics on the album are from Entwhistle's My Wife. The song is great comical relief inserted in the middle of some really serious tracks. It cracks me up every time I hear it, and oh the imagery of what he says he needs to escape the wrath of his angry wife.

Absolutely hilarious, that one!

I confess a really good Who's Next I would treasure over Animals. Good grief, I mean (for me) it was too late for teenage years, and early 70's was not an especially great year for a young married guy with a 1A draft status , but damn the music was good.
Early 70's the British groups were kicking ass, Who, Led Zep, Traffic, Moody Blues, ELP, PF, etc. The USA was as well with Grand Funk, Doors, Alice Cooper, Allman Bros, and more. (I'd give the Brits the edge here though on the sheer number of supergroups)

Music wise it was a great time to be alive and form musical tastes that would last a lifetime. I met a fellow soldier that had all his LP's shipped over, he had a massive collection and I discovered all sorts of music I had either never heard of or just a few cuts..
"Ohh woo, what cha gonna do about me" ring a bell for any of you old duffers here in the USA? Quintessential California; Quicksilver Messenger Service.
Thanks for also reminding me to “have another hit…of fresh air.”

Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea when I'm mobile
Well, I can lay in bed with only highway ahead when I'm mobile
Keep me moving
Love "My Wife" but "Going Mobile" is pretty good non-message-y lyrics, and it moves right along, just like the lyrics.
Of course maybe it's too late but I sincerly hope we won't get fooled again.

Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea when I'm mobile
Well, I can lay in bed with only highway ahead when I'm mobile
Keep me moving
Love "My Wife" but "Going Mobile" is pretty good non-message-y lyrics, and it moves right along, just like the lyrics.
Of course maybe it's too late but I sincerly hope we won't get fooled again.
At whatever price, “I call that a bargain/the best I ever had.”

This album is a masterpiece of rock 'n roll. The respected music journalist David Hepworth wrote a whole book about how 1971 was the greatest year for rock 'n roll and he put Who's Next as the best rock 'n roll album released that year. So it's the greatest rock 'n roll album ever made.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Dull-Moment-1971-Exploded/dp/1250130913
This is the album that even people indifferent to The Who enjoy. Like several other posters here, I will happily fork out big bucks for the definitive multichannel mix here. Anything better than the weedy, flat, Japanese stereo SACD is going to bring the house down. Forget Pink Floyd and Animals.
Who’s Next is probably my favorite Who album, and a Holy Grail surround title.
Having said that, I for one will NOT forget Pink Floyd and Animals as that could be my favorite album by them, and another Holy Grail surround title.
Could we really get both in one year?
Bring ‘em on 👍🏼👍🏼
1971 may have been the best year for Rock, but maybe 2022 will be the best for surround 😜

Last edited:
Well I love Animals for sure. Heard PF play it and WYWH live back in '75 at Tampa Stadium. Best concert I ever went to, and I went to a bunch in the 60's and 70's.
Who's Next edges it out just a little bit for me though.
Both great records - though very different.
I’m in for both…better start saving now 🤑

I'm sort of surprised Pete and Roger haven't killed each other by now, from things I've read which may or may not be true. I've noticed on at least one live concert on BD Roger seemed to go out of his way to not look at Pete. Apparently they can get along enough to perform at any rate.
They’ve managed to do it for almost 60 years.

The last time I saw them was on the Farewell Tour of '82 in Orlando. One of the warmup bands that afternoon was the B-52s, but one of their band members got hit with a [insert a phrase that meets with forum police approval], thrown from the crowd, which brought their set to a screeching halt. It was quite clear that the audience was there for maximum R&B: not new wave.

When The Who finally got to take the stage, in the late evening, John got to step up from behind his stand-mounted brandy bottles and do "Boris the Spider" and "My Wife," and the whole band, including Kenney Jones, was in rare form. The entire audience was one that night, especially when the band did their anthemic and thunderous rendition of "See Me, Feel Me" ... and the obligatory transition into "Listening to You" -- a song that has always floated on the Ox's bass -- did its magic by lifting everyone off of their asses. A beautiful scene that I was very proud to witness. :smokin

Last edited:
The last time I saw them was on the Farewell Tour of '82 in Orlando. One of the warmup bands that afternoon was the B-52s, but one of their band members got hit with a piece of 2 x 4, thrown from the crowd, which brought their set to screeching halt. It was quite clear that the audience was there for maximum R&B: not new wave.

When The Who finally got to take the stage, in the late evening, John got to step up from behind his stand-mounted brandy bottles and do "Boris the Spider" and "My Wife," and the whole band, including Kenney Jones, was in rare form. The entire audience was one that night, especially when the band did their anthemic and thunderous rendition of "See Me, Feel Me" ... and the obligatory transition into "Listening to You" -- a song that has always floated on the Ox's bass -- did its magic by lifting everyone off of their asses. A beautiful scene that I was very proud to witness. :smokin

I had tickets for that show but my mom wouldn't let me go because of the distance and that the plans were to stay overnight. I was living in Clearwater, FL and was 15 at the time. I still have the unused ticket:(

edit...I was able to see them a few times since, thankfully.

Back