Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried to order on the Marillion site, the item is unavailable, the item may be discontinued :yikes oh hell.
It's working now.
a8d03117c6fdb1876db6f5844e56b704.jpg

I had pre-ordered from Amazon US, but they're now saying that the product is no longer available... so I've placed an order at the band website. Better price anyway!

Steven now made an update on his remix site on Facebook, mentioning that there will be more of these, he won't be doing them all but that he at least will be doing Brave in 5.1 too (that should be something, really!)

Quote:

This time last year I was asked to create a 5.1 mix of the classic mid 80's number one album "Misplaced Childhood" by my buddies Marillion, and I'm happy to hear this mix will now be included on blu-ray as part of a special 5 disc deluxe edition, scheduled for 9th July on Parlophone. Also included is a remix of B-side "Lady Nina", in both stereo and 5.1 (the main album remix only appears in 5.1 form). I understand Parlophone / Warner Music Group plan to issue all 8 of the bands EMI era albums in similar form, but please note that I won't be doing 5.1 mixes for all these, alas I simply don't have the time, but I do have the tapes for Brave, and plan to do that one when I can (if you know the album I'm sure you'll agree with me that it should sound pretty epic in surround if I don't mess it up!)

Not everyone will be aware of my history with Marillion. The short version is that in 1980 when I was 12 years old, completely by chance I attended their first ever concert at the Berkhamstead Civic Centre, literally only a few miles from where I was growing up in Hemel Hempstead. I went along with some friends to see local punk band The Chiltern Volcanos, who we were told were sharing the bill with a band called Marilyn (sic). Anyway, needless to say I loved what "Marilyn" were doing, and from then on started to follow their progress (only Steve Rothery remains from the band I saw that evening). Often compared to Genesis, I personally think they quickly outgrew the comparison and were more successful in incorporating a natural pop sensibility into their progressive rock stylings than the former band (whom I have never been much of a fan anyway, despite loving the solo work of Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel). This reached a peak on Misplaced Childhood, which despite being a 40 minute long conceptual work, spawned several hit singles, including mega-hit Kayleigh. It's also my opinion that the album features some of the finest rock lyrics ever written. If you plan to pick it up I really hope you enjoy the 5.1 interpretation!

Fish has stated that he will sell the deluxe edition through his shop (with autograph) for the same price as the Marillion shop.
It will be up in a few days.

fishheadsclub.com

I likewise placed an order through the Marillion website: $36.58US which includes shipping/handling charges. A GREAT deal, IMO!:banana:

Of course this gets announced now that I don't have a surround setup... :mad::howl :violin I guess I'll just have to enjoy this vicariously through all of your comments...

JT, Anathema, Sgt. Peppers, a new SW which will certainly be 5.1 - So many great releases coming out, and now way for me to listen to them. I feel like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode where he finally gets to read all the books he wants, but then steps on his glasses... :yikes:D

Of course this gets announced now that I don't have a surround setup... :mad::howl :violin I guess I'll just have to enjoy this vicariously through all of your comments...

JT, Anathema, Sgt. Peppers, a new SW which will certainly be 5.1 - So many great releases coming out, and now way for me to listen to them. I feel like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode where he finally gets to read all the books he wants, but then steps on his glasses... :yikes:D

Don't feel badly. Seemingly, everything is coming out in Dolby Atmos [I'm an AVID film buff] and I have No intentions of adding height channels.

Hopefully, in your VERY NEAR future, you'll rectify that situation.

In a bizarre twist, perhaps Burgess Meredith should've hooked up with the characters from Fahrenheit 451 who each had to commit a book to memory as in that dystopian universe book burning was de rigueur!

Duly purchased from Marillion.com, at £32.37 inc. P&P, which is a good price for what is in the package.

As incredibly happy as I am right now about Misplaced, the brief moment from "all catalogue will be done" and "Steven Wilson won't do other Fish era albums" had been happier.

Unfortunately I could never manage to appreciate the albums following Fish's departure, so for me Brave is more an occasion to say "why not Script/Fugazi/Clutching". Then, again, maybe somebody capable enough will take care of those. Hopefully in 5.1.

You're twisting words around.
Steven Wilson and Marillion's manager simply said that SW will not have the time to remix all of the EMI albums in 5.1 surround, but neither one of them ever said that "Misplaced Childhood" would be the only Fish-era album that he would remix in 5.1 surround.
All we know right now is that "Misplaced Childhood" is coming out first, followed by "Brave".
After that, who knows?

All remix projects are secondary in comparison to Steven Wilson's own music, and some remix projects definitely take more precedent for him than others. (For example, the XTC remixes are the highest priority for him because XTC is his favorite band.)
So if and when remix projects line up when he's not writing, recording, or performing his own music, then he'll work on those. Otherwise, he passes the torch on to other ably-bodied mixing engineers (like Bruce Soord and Jakko Jakszyk)

:)

Truth be told, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if somebody else does the mixing of the rest of the early albums. While I'm grateful to SW for putting out all these prog projects in 5.1 that I never would have guessed would see the light of day, I'm frankly not crazy about much of the work he's done. I think he butchered the ELP albums, for instance. I wish he would play less with the EQ and effects panel and just focus on channel steering. I often don't care for the way he brings "this forward" and pushes "that back" in the mix. Occasionally I like one or two of his choices, but usually I much prefer the original mixes and often, such as on the ELP releases, prefer to listen to the original stereo mixes in 24/96 using Dolby PL II rather than his 5.1 renditions. I'm glad this Misplaced Childhood set will include the remastered original stereo tracks, in case I don't care for what he does with the 5.1 mix. I think Alan Parsons is the absolute best surround mixer on the planet, both for what he has done with his own works, but also the original quad (bootleg) recording of DSOTM, which I regard as the most exquisite piece of surround work I've ever heard. But a big shout out to SW for doing these, which would surely never get done otherwise. I'm looking forward to hearing what he can do with them!

... I'm frankly not crazy about much of the work he's done. I think he butchered the ELP albums, for instance. I wish he would play less with the EQ and effects panel and just focus on channel steering. I often don't care for the way he brings "this forward" and pushes "that back" in the mix. Occasionally I like one or two of his choices, but usually I much prefer the original mixes and often, such as on the ELP releases, prefer to listen to the original stereo mixes in 24/96 using Dolby PL II rather than his 5.1 renditions...

:yikes Where's the thumbs down button? :yikes

:p I keed, I keed, I completely disagree, but I keed. I personally think Wilson is one of the best surround mixers of all time along with Elliot Scheiner, and Parsons ain't too shabby either. I'm not 'offended' by differing opinions at all, on the contrary, I welcome them, but I definitely differ on this opinion. :)

Truth be told, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if somebody else does the mixing of the rest of the early albums. While I'm grateful to SW for putting out all these prog projects in 5.1 that I never would have guessed would see the light of day, I'm frankly not crazy about much of the work he's done. I think he butchered the ELP albums, for instance. I wish he would play less with the EQ and effects panel and just focus on channel steering. I often don't care for the way he brings "this forward" and pushes "that back" in the mix. Occasionally I like one or two of his choices, but usually I much prefer the original mixes and often, such as on the ELP releases, prefer to listen to the original stereo mixes in 24/96 using Dolby PL II rather than his 5.1 renditions. I'm glad this Misplaced Childhood set will include the remastered original stereo tracks, in case I don't care for what he does with the 5.1 mix. I think Alan Parsons is the absolute best surround mixer on the planet, both for what he has done with his own works, but also the original quad (bootleg) recording of DSOTM, which I regard as the most exquisite piece of surround work I've ever heard. But a big shout out to SW for doing these, which would surely never get done otherwise. I'm looking forward to hearing what he can do with them!

While I disagree with your assessment of Wilson's remixing abilities, perhaps it was his disenchantment with ELP {he just wasn't a fan of their music} which may have resulted in lackluster remixes, in YOUR opinion {although, on my system, I think they sound utterly spectacular}. Having grown up with King Crimson Vinyl, I found his KC remixes spectacular on every conceivable level.....perhaps because he worked in close association with Robert Fripp. His Tears for Fears remix was likewise amazing and I look forward to his upcoming remix of TfF's Seeds of Love.

Wilson did admit freely in a recent interview that he has suffered a hearing loss, which is hardly surprising for a musician of a certain age, but all in all, I have been extremely happy with his many, many remixing projects over the years.

I once surmised that Hollywood has the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to multichannel surround but because of the huge discrepancy between BIGGER than life Tinseltown budgets and the {in comparison} minuscule amounts remixes are paid for surround music projects, it's unlikely any of the Hollywood sound engineers would tackle any music remixing chores.

Since Elliot Scheiner is retired, all we could hope for from this glorious former remixing guru is the availability of many unreleased projects which lay 'rotting' in the vaults. Until a new crop of talented Music remixing engineers emerge, I'm afraid we're at the mercy of unknown {and sometimes untalented remixers......Steve Hackett's dreadful Wolflight 5.1 remix comes to mind} entities.

And I will take a bad Steve Wilson remix {although I personally don't agree with you} over a non~existent surround remix {or mix up, as I would label it}.

Ordered! I can't pass on one of my favourite albums from my late teenage years remixed in 5.1!

If SW indeed gets around to remixing "Brave" into surround, I would be a very happy man.
Those two albums ("Misplaced Childhood" and "Brave"), are (IMHO) their finest hours with Fish and Steve Hogarth respectively.
Wow. Bring. It. On.

Having grown up with King Crimson Vinyl, I found his KC remixes spectacular on every conceivable level.....perhaps because he worked in close association with Robert Fripp.

I agree on the KC ones, they are fantastic.

I have no doubt I won't find agreement from anyone here, judging by the universal praise he receives. I expected that. I even hesitated for a long time before posting, thinking I was gonna get flamed.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think SW does a poor job. it's just that some of his "style" doesn't sit right with me at times. If it thrills everyone else, I'd call that success. (y) I don't mean to criticize him...I'm just saying it wouldn't disturb me if someone else takes on the other Fish-Marillion albums.

Back