Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre-ordered via Fish Head Shop, £36 including shipping and signed copy from Fish!

Well, instead of being asked to pay the difference - my order was cancelled and I had to reorder Oh well. So, it's a few dollars more, but WAY cheaper than Amazon US at the moment.

I agree on the KC ones, they are fantastic.

I have no doubt I won't find agreement from anyone here, judging by the universal praise he receives. I expected that. I even hesitated for a long time before posting, thinking I was gonna get flamed.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think SW does a poor job. it's just that some of his "style" doesn't sit right with me at times. If it thrills everyone else, I'd call that success. (y) I don't mean to criticize him...I'm just saying it wouldn't disturb me if someone else takes on the other Fish-Marillion albums.

I don't think you have to worry about getting flamed if you simply are expressing your thoughts and back them them up with some rational thinking. This isn't Facebook or certain stereo centric forum.

Hey, I crazily think that Marillion are way better than Genesis. (Maybe that's not rational)

Not crazy about the Fish years to be honest, but I do like some of the songs from this album. One of my favorites is Seasons End, and I really hope that comes out in a similar package eventually.

Not crazy about the Fish years to be honest, but I do like some of the songs from this album. One of my favorites is Seasons End, and I really hope that comes out in a similar package eventually.

The song "Easter" from Season's End always seems to make it onto my playlist of favorite songs... love it! Not Fish era, though, is it? (Don't know much about Marillion... Season's End was the only album of theirs I ever had)

The song "Easter" from Season's End always seems to make it onto my playlist of favorite songs... love it! Not Fish era, though, is it? (Don't know much about Marillion... Season's End was the only album of theirs I ever had)
Well, most of the album was written when Fish was still in the band as a follow up to Clutching...

Well, most of the album was written when Fish was still in the band as a follow up to Clutching...

You're right... turns out Fish's replacement vocalist (Steve Hogarth) co-wrote the song I'm talking about (Easter)... one of only two songs on the album written with the new vocalist (apparently most of the music was already finished as you mentioned).

I do hope SW works on Clutching at Straws even with all the bonus material that Fish sung on but eventually got reworked for h and Seasons End. Anyhoo, really looking forward to Brave. That album will not need remixing after the amazing production from Dave Meegan and I'm sure Wilson will be inclined to agree too. And I reckon the band should get him to mix Marbles in 5.1 as well.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I'm on the Marillion e-mail list and at the bottom of the notes about the forthcopming re-release, It is available to pre-order now and Ian, Mark, Pete and Steve will be signing the first 1000 copies purchased from us: I ordered mine 2-days ago, so will it be one of the 1000?

Misplaced Childhood in surround? Mixed by Steven Wilson? An essential purchase. Do "Clutching At Straws" as well and we're home in a boat. As for the post-"Clutching At Straws" albums? I remember Marillion being wheeled out for their first "after-Fish" TV appearance on some now long forgotten Channel 4 music show. As the last chords of "Hooks In You" evaporated into the ether, I sat there dumbstruck by its unbridled awfulness. Of course I dutifully purchased "Seasons End" - "it can't all be as bad as that" I rationalised. How wrong I was, and my dalliance with Marillion ended. I stoically soldiered on with Fish (even "Yin" and "Yang". Yes. Really... I know) sticking it out until "Suits" before finally calling it quits.

For me, "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws" are great albums, tinged with the disappointment of what-might-have-been if the band hadn't imploded. Fish's "Black Canal" for example is the great lost Marillion tune. As even this wobbly You Tube version demonstrates.

Last edited:
As per the thread on Prog Rock requests for upcoming releases ;

We have a few HITS !

Francois post #15 and #103

DennisMooreJr post #48

Colsky post #50

post #70

McDave post #99 and #102

Neil Palfreyman post # 104

Knifeman post #104

Marrillion requests all at this thread----https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?22184-PROG-ROCK-
TITLES-FUTURE-SURROUND-CONSIDERATION

Wishes sometimes do come true. :D

I'd like to think the thread did some "prompting" , but one can't say for certain.

However the results are certainly positive for Marillion loves .:upthumb

Edit https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ROG-ROCK-TITLES-FUTURE-SURROUND-CONSIDERATION

Last edited:
I'm on the Marillion e-mail list and at the bottom of the notes about the forthcopming re-release, It is available to pre-order now and Ian, Mark, Pete and Steve will be signing the first 1000 copies purchased from us: I ordered mine 2-days ago, so will it be one of the 1000?
Just ordered my copy from there. Fingers crossed I make the 1000 too! ☺️

Would be nice to see Fish perform someday so I can grab that final autograph, but I can't say that will ever happen, given that he's supposedly retiring soon? Heck, I always joke about trying to get onto a flight with Chris DeGarmo flying so I can get my Queensrÿche CD's signed. Need to get Geoff Tate to sign them too but I won't ever be seeing any of his shows anytime soon lol. ?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I ordered mine from them morning of 5th May and I sent an email to their sales support asking whether my order qualifies for signed copy and they confirmed my copy will be signed, so you should be fine too. :banana:

edit: Now the site has this comment "All copies sold through the Racket Store will be signed by Steve Rothery, Pete Trewavas, Ian Mosley & Mark Kelly."

Last edited:
this is the best news for me since I discovered Porcupine Tree and the eight surround disc. I ordered from the Marillion web site which is much cheaper than Amazon USA on May 4th. I can't wait for "Clutching at Straws", "Fugazi" and "Marillion.com" to be released,LOL;)

Well, I didn't hesitate very long on this one - after going back and re-listening to a few clips from the album on youtube I ordered from the band's site on May 3.

It's not likely to ever be in my top tier stuff, but a SW 5.1 mix with all the other stuff at a decent price made it tough to say no.

Does the band's website charge your credit card when ordering, or when the album is shipped?

Back