Yes Relayer coming in 5.1 by Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. Though file name says 'Gates' but that's surely the mixing scheme for Sound Chaser. Where's that pic from?

(Never mind. Found it. It's from a post to Yes's official Facebook page. )

A preview of the Blu-ray menu from the Yes Facebook page. (y)

edit: Sorry, from the booklet evidently, not the menu.

10679880_879581882053801_6302041760240477585_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thrilled as I am that this is getting a 5.1 mix (less so, a new 2.0 mix) , I have to wonder why-- *two* needledrops? *Two" stereo masters (they did this with The Yes Album too, still not sure why, or what 'archived master' even means)? The Gates of Delerium studio run through , already released on CD, offered *twice* here? The (minimally interesting) single edits were also already out on the Rhino CD. The only bonuses of interest to me after that are the instrumental mixes, and the studio run throughs of Sound Chaser and To Be Over.

But....no live material? Not even an attempt to fix up the May 1975 QPR video?

Alright! Sound Chaser Live at Cobo Hall...

Anyway...didn't they mention TGOD Live??? In MCH , or was I hallucinating????:mad:@:

Sound Chaser @ Cobo Hall is already available on "The Word Is Live" box set. It would have been great if they had included the entire Cobo Hall concert. There's ample room on a blu-ray !

Thrilled as I am that this is getting a 5.1 mix (less so, a new 2.0 mix) , I have to wonder why-- *two* needledrops? *Two" stereo masters (they did this with The Yes Album too, still not sure why, or what 'archived master' even means)? The Gates of Delerium studio run through , already released on CD, offered *twice* here? The (minimally interesting) single edits were also already out on the Rhino CD. The only bonuses of interest to me after that are the instrumental mixes, and the studio run throughs of Sound Chaser and To Be Over.

But....no live material? Not even an attempt to fix up the May 1975 QPR video?

The "Archived Master" at 96/24 is a vintage analog copy of the original mix, originally done for reel-to-reel replication. It can be a flat copy or one with minimal mastering.

It is a slightly different sounding alternative of the original mix.

Hadn't got time to listen to it sadly (it's one of my favorite album) but wanted to say that the cover of the booklet has a slightly different image than on the album ! A variation on the theme, and a Roger Dean painting I had never seen before. Maybe it's a recent one ?

no shippin notice form burning shed for me yet... it doesnt matter beacuse my receiver got busted, so no 5.1 for a month now, and who know how longer

Dat Sux!! How'd it get busted? Counterfeiting? Indecent Exposure? Drunk in Public? Rioting?? Those Police are tough in Chile :banana:

A few days ago I received Relayer and Drums and Wires from Headphone Dust, fast shipping and good carton shipping box!

At the moment I only have mu stereo set up connected, so no surround yet from these discs for me.

I love the stereo mix of Relayer, great stuff and crankable! Great stuff. Also a wealth of extras with live tracks and an instrumental stereo mix, nice way to get all the details. And Gates of Delerium is really one of the greatest tracks ever recorded, love it :)

Thanks to the people involved, SW, Neil, Jon, Tim and Bob. Word of thanks to Claire Bidwell too, for always making these nice bd menus.

The only thing 'wrong' is that the audio streams on the front menu audio set up have a different order than what they really are. Front menu has lpcm 5.1, lpcm stereo and dtsma 5.1, while the actual streams are lpcm stereo, dtsma 5.1 and lpcm 5.1. In the follow up menu the running order is correct. Not a big thing, just the first time that I selected the stereo mix from the front menu, I got the dtsma :)

Hm. I heard the 5.1 mix yesterday for the first time and my feelings are mixed as they was with CTTE.
Perhaps it is very difficult to do a good surround mix if there are too many channels on the mix and you do not have the chance of seperate track for all.
In my opinion Gates Of Delirium is not a surround flash experience.
Some Keyboards are too loud, some guitar works too silent.
I prefer the stereo version.

To Be Over has the best surround mix here. I really love this.
Sound Chaser is ok.

The XTC release has flashed me more.

An 8, because it is a Yes classic and the bonus content is also very nice. :)

Hm. I heard the 5.1 mix yesterday for the first time and my feelings are mixed as they was with CTTE.
Perhaps it is very difficult to do a good surround mix if there are too many channels on the mix and you do not have the chance of seperate track for all.
In my opinion Gates Of Delirium is not a surround flash experience.
Some Keyboards are too loud, some guitar works too silent.
I prefer the stereo version.

To Be Over has the best surround mix here. I really love this.
Sound Chaser is ok.

The XTC release has flashed me more.

An 8, because it is a Yes classic and the bonus content is also very nice. :)
I don't see a poll on this title but hopefully when there is one you will copy/paste this comment over there.

I was going to order this on Monday; now I am thinking twice. I hate the keyboards being dominant over guitars; sounds cheap and nasty.

I was going to order this on Monday; now I am thinking twice. I hate the keyboards being dominant over guitars; sounds cheap and nasty.

For me that really depends on the original recording. Because I know that SW, at the base level, tries to adhere to the original - which admittedly, I have never heard. But my thing is I want to hear Yes and if keyboards dominate then so be it. On the other hand, yeah if you don't like keyboards being dominant then maybe this one isn't for you and I can understand that that would be disappointing.

Back