eBay "Shockers" discussion (formerly Shocker Log)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so this is Amazon, but I couldn't resist: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000AUHRW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I don't think its even that rare since a used copy is going for $24.99, yet somehow paying $11,730.70 for a new copy of Seven, Come Eleven - Concord multichannel SACD by Joe Pass and Herb Ellis is pretty amazing. Now if they could just knock off the .70 I might consider it..................
I checked with him and he said no way and then he jacked it up to $11,732.99, so the deal is off.

I checked with him and he said no way and then he jacked it up to $11,732.99, so the deal is off.

If anything this internet has done-is amaze me repeatedly! Where, do these people get off even asking that much for a disc? The big shocker I saw was the Nintendo game sell at $100K ! Again, I suppose if you have that much cash to 'piss" away - but for the rest of us it's just plain stupid! And, especially now with the growing popularity of the music downloads-I have no doubts this will be available soon enough anyway. But, c'mon! $12K??

I would at least expect something extra to come with it, like a hot chick or a nice car!

I have to confess that for a while now I have been thinking this is a scam of some sort.
Asking this much is clearly insane - nobody will pay it - but it could maybe get used to show "valuation" when the shop/warehouse/house gets burgled/burned down in tragic accident etc for insurance claims??
I know sweet FA about insurance (except it costs me a bloody fortune each year) so may be well wrong.

I have to confess that for a while now I have been thinking this is a scam of some sort.
Asking this much is clearly insane - nobody will pay it - but it could maybe get used to show "valuation" when the shop/warehouse/house gets burgled/burned down in tragic accident etc for insurance claims??
I know sweet FA about insurance (except it costs me a bloody fortune each year) so may be well wrong.

I dunno about an insurance scam for that lot, possibly.. but I know I've had to up my contents insurance twice in the last 5 years since I went into overdrive with the OOP SACDs etc. I sat down and worked out replacing them even at modest prices would cost me an absolute fortune and one or two seem pretty much irreplaceable at any price.. and then I had to recalculate and get our broker to up the cover all over again once I started finding really rare things that normally go for totally stupid money.. :mad:@:

I dunno about an insurance scam for that lot, possibly.. but I know I've had to up my contents insurance twice in the last 5 years since I went into overdrive with the OOP SACDs etc. I sat down and worked out replacing them even at modest prices would cost me an absolute fortune and one or two seem pretty much irreplaceable at any price.. and then I had to recalculate and get our broker to up the cover all over again once I started finding really rare things that normally go for totally stupid money.. :mad:@:

My insurance company refuses to accept that SACDs are worth anymore than CDs and will give me the standard $10 per disk if stolen.

oh he also told me that "SACDs sound no different to CDs, it says so on Wikipedea."

Need to change companies methinks.

My insurance company refuses to accept that SACDs are worth anymore than CDs and will give me the standard $10 per disk if stolen.

oh he also told me that "SACDs sound no different to CDs", it says so on Wikipedea.

What the...!?!? :yikes STOOPID B^ST^RDOS!!! :mad: :flame

our broker's amazing, always getting a great deal and I don't remember them ever quibbling about anything when it comes to paying out. I don't know what we'll do when he retires..

I was just thinking about that and wondering if I need a 'rider' on my policy since those HiRez discs are worth a ton of money!

I was just thinking about that and wondering if I need a 'rider' on my policy since those HiRez discs are worth a ton of money!

Deffo! Once I've backed up everything and go PC-only with my playback of these surround things (it's been a long time coming.. such a daunting task I've put it off and put it off.. but I have to face it) I think I'll get all my OOP discs and tuck them all away in fireproof, flood-proof, thermo nuclear blast proof lead lined caskets!! That should do the trick! :ugham:

oh he also told me that "SACDs sound no different to CDs, it says so on Wikipedea."

Wikipedia is NOT an authority and bases it's information on user submitted information. I suppose if you tell them that dvd's are no better than BD, they will print it-Ought to be called wikibullshit

And time to "update" that Wikipedia entry! :)

That's still not as amazing as you getting $61 for those two Legend SACD's, I'd call that shocking:yikes

Well, the Legends SACDs sell for $30 each new. Selling two for 50 cents over the regular price for each one doesn't sound very shocking.
Now, if they sold for $61 each, then you might have the beginnings of a shocker log listing.... :)

I've only played the Legends SACD comp with Elton on it.. strange sounding disc.. some stuff sounds alright but too many tracks ain't so hot.

According to the AF web site, they pulled tapes from many albums and record labels on the Legends SACDs - unlike their other SACDs where there is only one album/record label to get tapes.
I think that has a lot to do with the varying quality of the tracks on those SACDs. Still, a lot of fun listening but not an audiophile favorite I'd say.

According to the AF web site, they pulled tapes from many albums and record labels on the Legends SACDs - unlike their other SACDs where there is only one album/record label to get tapes.
I think that has a lot to do with the varying quality of the tracks on those SACDs. Still, a lot of fun listening but not an audiophile favorite I'd say.

I respect that and admire the intent and the sheer effort that must have gone into these but the end results a bit of a letdown, surprising as I've many v.nice sounding SH mastered discs.

Well, the Legends SACDs sell for $30 each new. Selling two for 50 cents over the regular price for each one doesn't sound very shocking.
Now, if they sold for $61 each, then you might have the beginnings of a shocker log listing.... :)

Those were priced at $30 each at some retail outlets like Acoustic Sounds but I bought mine for $22.81 and $21.77=$44.58(final price with delivery)at Import CD's. So selling used items with poor sound quality for $16 over what I paid for them(brand new) is a coup in my book. The point I was trying to make is he was lucky to sell them at all, given the poor quality of the discs. Usually once the word gets out on these forums about the relative strength or weakness of a disc it affects sales. Of course there is an exception to that rule; if the work on the disc was done by SH and you are reading information about that disc on the SHF. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The buyer was probably a SHF member.

If you read the personal account of the making of these discs on the SHF; it's a feat only matched by a few in recorded history! Transatlantic calls were made, cooperation was sought at the highest levels of many governments. No stone was left unturned. Check out post 721 HERE

Back