'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am convinced that George Martin played a key role in the 5.1 mixes for Love. The general praise that Giles received for that mix is not entirely deserved as his father is usually dismissed when this topic is discussed.

I'm been saying that right along. None of Giles' subsequent Beatles' remixes have been quite as dramatic ... or warm sounding. "Your job is to push boundaries ... and not to be safe....." sayeth Sir Paul to Giles regarding the White Album.

What a shame that Apple didn't reach out to Neil Wilkes to do the white album. Sure, it would never happen, but if you've heard his stuff, like "The Vicar" and "Antiquasauria", you would agree.

Hey, speaking of which, I think I will queue up "Antiquasauria" and give it a spin. A total '10' and an underated DVD-A that way more people should have heard/purchased. But, I digress...now back to the White Album. "Can you take me back?" :)

What a shame that Apple didn't reach out to Neil Wilkes to do the white album. Sure, it would never happen, but if you've heard his stuff, like "The Vicar" and "Antiquasauria", you would agree.

Hey, speaking of which, I think I will queue up "Antiquasauria" and give it a spin. A total '10' and an underated DVD-A that way more people should have heard/purchased. But, I digress...now back to the White Album. "Can you take me back?" :)

At the very least, Apple should have hired Neil Wilkes to author the Blu-ray Disc, cause no one is better at authoring Blu-Rays and DVDs than him IMHO. Now I admit I'm a little biased since I kinda work for the guy but I love the colored button usage and things like that which make the disc operation much smoother.

:)

Dang it, Jon--haven't I spent (or committed to spend) enough money on this infernal hobby in the past couple of weeks? Now you have to go and hep me to a new artist to check out? And his album is available on Bandcamp, yet!

And Neil Wilkes: sheesh; that's what I get for not reading liner notes and credits the way I used to when I was a lad. Just plugged his name into Discogs. Dude has had a hand in nine-tenths of my favorite surround albums of the last decade. Yes, King Crimson, XTC, ELP, Pixies...

Last edited:
At the very least, Apple should have hired Neil Wilkes to author the Blu-ray Disc, cause no one is better at authoring Blu-Rays and DVDs than him IMHO. Now I admit I'm a little biased since I kinda work for the guy but I love the colored button usage and things like that which make the disc operation much smoother.

it'll be all-white on the night.. :smokin

Dang it, Jon--haven't I spent (or committed to spend) enough money on this infernal hobby in the past couple of weeks? Now you have to go and hep me to a new artist to check out? And his album is available on Bandcamp, yet!

And Neil Wilkes: sheesh; that's what I get for not reading liner notes and credits the way I used to when I was a lad. Just plugged his name into Discogs. Dude has had a hand in nine-tenths of my favorite surround albums of the last decade. Yes, King Crimson, XTC, ELP, Pixies...

dude is a dude. honoured, i'm sure, the dude's a ledge. proud to have him in my rolodexicon :love:

Yep, I have most of the Blu-Ray and DVD releases that he has authored, and I'm sure many of them would have not come to fruition (or be nearly as good in quality) without his hand in the mix.

When I was on tour in London in April, I visited Neil at Opus. Such a pleasure to meet him in person after so many good conversations on phone and email making Antiquasauria. We listened to some Bowie, some Queen, ate lunch, and listened to the project he was working on. A lovely day before one of the shows.
Regarding White Album. I think clarity will be the takeaway. I can't imagine it will be very immersive as the album is so sparse.
I'm hoping Savoy Truffle and Not Guilty are fun.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Now that Australians can't order from Amazon internationally due to newly imposed tax laws, I'm stuck with usual ordering opportunities for the Deluxe box. I'd usually go straight to Burning Shed but the shipping charges are frankly ridiculous (53 pounds or almost $100 AU). If anyone in Oz has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Now that Australians can't order from Amazon internationally due to newly imposed tax laws, I'm stuck with usual ordering opportunities for the Deluxe box. I'd usually go straight to Burning Shed but the shipping charges are frankly ridiculous (53 pounds or almost $100 AU). If anyone in Oz has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Could CDJapan be an option?

Red Eye in Sydney might be able to help.

When I was on tour in London in April, I visited Neil at Opus. Such a pleasure to meet him in person after so many good conversations on phone and email making Antiquasauria. We listened to some Bowie, some Queen, ate lunch, and listened to the project he was working on. A lovely day before one of the shows.
Regarding White Album. I think clarity will be the takeaway. I can't imagine it will be very immersive as the album is so sparse.
I'm hoping Savoy Truffle and Not Guilty are fun.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mister Wilkes should have his own section here!!!

Mister Wilkes should have his own section here!!!

Neil was a mainstay here for years, but he's been away quite a bit. Haven't seen him 'round here for quite some time.

As for this upcoming box, well, IMAGINE set the standard, so this thing better be good. Unfortunately, I can't help but expect it to be more like "Sgt Pepper" than like "Imagine". We'll see...............

Neil was a mainstay here for years, but he's been away quite a bit. Haven't seen him 'round here for quite some time.

As for this upcoming box, well, IMAGINE set the standard, so this thing better be good. Unfortunately, I can't help but expect it to be more like "Sgt Pepper" than like "Imagine". We'll see...............

At least Neil is still producing great work. :)

As to your other point, yes, the 'raw studio mixes' on "Imagine" are definitely more discrete than "Sgt Pepper" but I think most people would greatly prefer the "Sgt Pepper" 5.1 mix if all we got from "Imagine" was Blu-Ray 1 where both the main 5.1 mix and Quad mix are far from impressive.
I'm predicting that while The White Album will not be as discrete as the "Imagine" raw studio mixes, I do think it will be more adventurous than both "Sgt Pepper" and the main "Imagine" 5.1 mix

We've only got a month left until this drops, and I can't wait!

As to your other point, yes, the 'raw studio mixes' on "Imagine" are definitely more discrete than "Sgt Pepper" but I think most people would greatly prefer the "Sgt Pepper" 5.1 mix if all we got from "Imagine" was Blu-Ray 1 where both the main 5.1 mix and Quad mix are far from impressive.
I'm predicting that while The White Album will not be as discrete as the "Imagine" raw studio mixes, I do think it will be more adventurous than both "Sgt Pepper" and the main "Imagine" 5.1 mix

Yeah, the "real" Imagine 5.1 isn't very spectacular if you first heard Disc 2. I don't think I'll be playing Disc 1 much. In fact, for the car, I made a USB with all of the 5.1 tracks from "Out-Takes" and "Extended Mixes" and that will be fine for me. I may be in the minority, but the original album I've heard too many times, and with a less-than-amazing 5.1 mix, it's not going to do it for me.

Disc 2? That does it for me! (y)

I found Importcds to be the best option for Australia:

https://www.importcds.com/the-beatles-the-white-album/602567571957

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

What titles has Neil been working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back