Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PPS: Also the squabble between David and Roger......sure they might not AGREE on how all was CREATED in PINK FLOYD realms.......but think about this ......... it would be a GREAT SALES scheme/ploy if this were to be BLOWN UP just like the PIG to such major extents that this supposed infight between them made everyone talk about PINK FLOYD at times when nothing much is happening.....seems to me could be a BIG FLOCK of SHEEP waiting to put major $$ into this next release......including myself.....just saying.....LOL

Except for the fact that the squabble started 40 years ago and has raged the entire time. The type of PF fan that would buy this expensive package has already heard it all. We just want it to end.

So am I hearing that in addition to the 5.1 mix, there's a new stereo mix? I thought I'd heard that the band was never happy with the original mix, new board at Abbey Road or something. Anyone have the skinny on that?

If you go to Roger's webpage, he posted the redacted liner notes in question. You... have to read it for yourself... People are posting actual quotes, not hyperbolic personal rewordings. Yeah...

I might even guess that Dave was trying to have his back and stop an indiscretion that would be really embarrassing for him to come out.

Is the release really the 'duplicated to all formats' thing? Fair enough reactions to that if so!
I'd sure like to hear JG's mix. I think he's a monster in some ways. Fidelity is one of his passions. I've also heard some of his mixes that were a little off. Still hitting marks of greatness but the whole thing is a little off. Maybe his work is best served by teaming up with a great mastering engineer for that final sanity check? Andy Jackson is a monster too! I've heard more of his final products being really on point for the whole presentation. Dave's recent solo albums have been technically pretty much perfect with mix and mastering. Roger's Amused to Death remix had greatness but was a little skewed in places. What did JG do before that? Was it the more front-centric 5.1 remix of DSOTM for that SACD release? Or was there something in between? But then how about the mastering disaster of mastering disasters that hit the two album remixes on the Early Years set?

Both of these guys are monsters! Will we get to actually hear an intact copy of their work though? Will this JG mix (if it's all him) be on point? It's really a crap shoot nowadays with this band isn't it! Remember when these guys used to be considered the audiophile leaders? That ship has sure sailed!

I've heard that bootleg mentioned above. Novelty lo-fi fan fiction. (Although there are CD editions that sound somehow worse.) UK vinyl still wins for the original stereo mix. And it is NOT an excellent pressing IMHO! The original stereo mix in unmolested 24 bit digital will be VERY welcome!

“But then how about the mastering disaster of mastering disasters that hit the two album remixes on the Early Years set?”

What are you referring to here Jim? The fact that Meddle and OVC were pulled? The Easter egg version of Meddle? All I am aware of with that is a problem with the transition of One of these Days ... anything else?

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion .
But how does gossip help us obtain surround sound releases from Pink Floyd, with all due respect .
How does any discussion on these forums help us get anything from Pink Floyd? Silly notion. It's like you walked into a bar and are complaining that they're selling booze. ;)

Keep calm and carry on.

“But then how about the mastering disaster of mastering disasters that hit the two album remixes on the Early Years set?”

What are you referring to here Jim? The fact that Meddle and OVC were pulled? The Easter egg version of Meddle? All I am aware of with that is a problem with the transition of One of these Days ... anything else?
The fact that Meddle and Obscured have a blistering high end eq boost that renders what sounds like were just excellent mixes unlistenable. The Pompeii 5.1 remix too. (It has more glaring madness with noise reduction artifacts gone wild. So... THAT but then also blasted by the shrill eq.) The rest of the set was arguably bright but still very high quality work that had none of that extra shrill eq.

I've heard both the original release and the stand alone editions. They're clones. I've read plenty of reviews where the reviewer apparently hears no sign of this. I've never heard any copy that has these album remixes intact. I know some people apparently seem oblivious to the volume war style shrill eq hype. Not sure what else to say.

Too bad this thread is rapidly turning into a gossip column.

I'm just happy , well over the moon actually .....that were finally getting more Floyd in Surround.
Something I think we should all be happy for .
Now I got The Rumor Song from Hee Haw going through my head...
"Now, we're not ones to go round spreadin' rumors
Why really, we're just not the gossipy kind!
Oh, you'll never hear one of us repeating gossip!
So you'd better be sure and listen close the first time."​

How does any discussion on these forums help us get anything from Pink Floyd? Silly notion. It's like you walked into a bar and are complaining that they're selling booze. ;)

Keep calm and carry on.

You made me chuckle . :LOL:

It kinda reminds me of two old bitties*with their hair in curlers leaning over a fence talking trash about their neighbours .

*(ya I know it's sexist)

If you go to Roger's webpage, he posted the redacted liner notes in question. You... have to read it for yourself... People are posting actual quotes, not hyperbolic personal rewordings. Yeah...

I might even guess that Dave was trying to have his back and stop an indiscretion that would be really embarrassing for him to come out.

Is the release really the 'duplicated to all formats' thing? Fair enough reactions to that if so!
I'd sure like to hear JG's mix. I think he's a monster in some ways. Fidelity is one of his passions. I've also heard some of his mixes that were a little off. Still hitting marks of greatness but the whole thing is a little off. Maybe his work is best served by teaming up with a great mastering engineer for that final sanity check? Andy Jackson is a monster too! I've heard more of his final products being really on point for the whole presentation. Dave's recent solo albums have been technically pretty much perfect with mix and mastering. Roger's Amused to Death remix had greatness but was a little skewed in places. What did JG do before that? Was it the more front-centric 5.1 remix of DSOTM for that SACD release? Or was there something in between? But then how about the mastering disaster of mastering disasters that hit the two album remixes on the Early Years set?

Both of these guys are monsters! Will we get to actually hear an intact copy of their work though? Will this JG mix (if it's all him) be on point? It's really a crap shoot nowadays with this band isn't it! Remember when these guys used to be considered the audiophile leaders? That ship has sure sailed!

I've heard that bootleg mentioned above. Novelty lo-fi fan fiction. (Although there are CD editions that sound somehow worse.) UK vinyl still wins for the original stereo mix. And it is NOT an excellent pressing IMHO! The original stereo mix in unmolested 24 bit digital will be VERY welcome!

JG did the 2011 WYWH SACD.

I have the 1992 remaster of Animals on CD, but I don't have anything to compare, so I'm not sure if it's a good sounding edition.

On a side note, I'd be happy to have a version of The Wall with no "pop" at the beginning of Comfortably Numb (I corrected my FLAC file for listening).

The fact that Meddle and Obscured have a blistering high end eq boost that renders what sounds like were just excellent mixes unlistenable. The Pompeii 5.1 remix too. (It has more glaring madness with noise reduction artifacts gone wild. So... THAT but then also blasted by the shrill eq.) The rest of the set was arguably bright but still very high quality work that had none of that extra shrill eq.

I've heard both the original release and the stand alone editions. They're clones. I've read plenty of reviews where the reviewer apparently hears no sign of this. I've never heard any copy that has these album remixes intact. I know some people apparently seem oblivious to the volume war style shrill eq hype. Not sure what else to say.

I agree. Obscured and Pompei ended up with way too much high end. I’ve only played that version of Obscured once and I’m very fond of that album. I’m going to blame the mastering, as AJ’s mixes for Gilmour and Floyd and himself have not had that problem.

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion .
But how does gossip help us obtain surround sound releases from Pink Floyd, with all due respect .

How does posting to these forums in general have any effect on Pink Floyd releasing their material , with all due respect? I come here to read interesting (and sometimes entertaining or even funny) comments and discussion, not to "obtain" surround sound releases. I do that on a store site. ;)

I listened to both the new (hidden) Meddle 5.1 and Pompeii 5.1. I didn't notice an unlistenable high-end and my PSB speakers are flat as a pancake. I guess I should try them again. Could it also be possible you're sensitive to higher frequencies? Now I could point out some albums I do have a hard time listening to due to such things (Firehouse's original album coming to mind all the sudden).

How does posting to these forums in general have any effect on Pink Floyd releasing their material , with all due respect? I come here to read interesting (and sometimes entertaining or even funny) comments and discussion, not to "obtain" surround sound releases. I do that on a store site. ;)

The title of this thread might suggest otherwise.
It's like going to the store to buy something and mistakenly ending up in the complaint department and having to say "Well I'm sorry i don't have anything to complain about , I'm getting what I wanted". ;)

I listened to both the new (hidden) Meddle 5.1 and Pompeii 5.1. I didn't notice an unlistenable high-end and my PSB speakers are flat as a pancake. I guess I should try them again. Could it also be possible you're sensitive to higher frequencies? Now I could point out some albums I do have a hard time listening to due to such things (Firehouse's original album coming to mind all the sudden).

MagnumX said:

The title of this thread might suggest otherwise.
It's like going to the store to buy something and mistakenly ending up in the complaint department and having to say "Well I'm sorry i don't have anything to complain about , I'm getting what I wanted". ;)

I dunno. This is not a store regardless. The thread title suggests the discussion is about Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1. Anything related to Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 or possibly even the album in general strikes me as on-topic, particularly since this is under "Rumor Mill".

Back