Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but the atmos mix was available via streaming on the day of release (often with a preview track(s) available weeks or more in advance). The Stones‘ Tattoo You and El Macambo boxes, the Elton John Madness box, and so on.
The Atmos mix of Madman Across the Water (which Greg Penny has said he has mixed in interviews) is not available for streaming to my knowledge (with the exception of the one track on the Diamonds set, Tiny Dancer).

Just got home from record shopping.
27 albums for approximately the cost of the Revolver 5 CD (which could fit on 2 or 3 CDs) Deluxe set!
🤪🙄🥳
old Quad records, fuelled by the superb Surround Master, killed my personal pursuit of buying further out of print DVD-A's, SACDs, big boxes full of detritus just to get one disc in Surround, etc.

i got so much joy running old records through that little box from Down Under, it really brought back the thrill of discovering 'new' Surround Music that i'd lost in the mania of tracking down some obscure SACD from some exotic locale.

time and again i found the old Quads more satisfyingly Surround-y than so many of the OOP DVD's/SACDs etc that i'd been hunting down. that then spurred me onto getting into Q8s and CD-4 and the mesmerising voyage of Quad discovery continued.

it wasn't until Vocalion started doing their thing that i got back in the habit of enjoying and looking forward to new Surround releases on optical disc again. without them i think i'd have thrown in the towel a while back (but then i'd have missed out on the good Atmos stuff, so no quitting and no regrets, Life In Surround for Life! ✌️🌈💗😍

For what it's worth, I'm waiting this out to see which precedent is set by this box. It will be either:
  1. The first legally downloadable Atmos mix (in this case, with a download card, a GOOD precedent), or
  2. The first super deluxe edition that requires a subscription to hear the multichannel or Atmos mix (a BAD precedent).
Correct me if I'm wrong about either. Like many of you I'm expecting it to be the latter, but I'm holding out a little hope that it's the former.

I won't rent music. It's not like I don't OWN multiple copies of Revolver already.
It would be great if the atmos mix was available as a download, but in what format?

Just got home from record shopping.
27 albums for approximately the cost of the Revolver 5 CD (which could fit on 2 or 3 CDs) Deluxe set!
🤪🙄🥳
Wow. Where do you live/shop? The one remaining used record store anywhere near me? I can’t hardly get anything that isn’t beat to sh*t for less than $10 these days. And even then, it’s rarely anything I’m all THAT interested in. Good luck finding a used Beatles album in almost ANY condition any more.

CDs on the other hand? They can barely GIVE those away. :)

Wow. Where do you live/shop? The one remaining used record store anywhere near me? I can’t hardly get anything that isn’t beat to sh*t for less than $10 these days. And even then, it’s rarely anything I’m all THAT interested in. Good luck finding a used Beatles album in almost ANY condition any more.

CDs on the other hand? They can barely GIVE those away. :)
SF Bay Area. There's an antique store that has a vinyl room. I have to check condition, as some of their offerings are too scratched, for me.
But there are plenty of clean copies, for reasonable prices. They start at $6/ea. and you get steep discounts when you hit a dozen records, 50 records, 100 records and so on.
Scored Toys in the Attic SQ, CTA, Louis Armstrong Hello Dolly, a Pat Travers I've been looking for, Emmylou Harris, Lionel Hampton, Sarah Vaughn and much more!

Sadly, I think I'm reaching the end of the road with 5.1 purchases.

Let It Be is now selling for ¥16,900 on Amazon.jp....Revolver minus the BD for ¥21,000. Money is a bigger issue than before...I have had to pass on some of the recent bloated boxes (for example, Kiss & Rush) because I'd rather go on vacation. Honestly, I don't have that kind of yen these days, and...bonus... I'm retiring in 5 more years. Maybe the Revolver box minus the 5.1 bluray is just a way of waking me up and setting me free (haha).

PS> Sorry about the downer post :(

Sadly, I think I'm reaching the end of the road with 5.1 purchases.

Let It Be is now selling for ¥16,900 on Amazon.jp....Revolver minus the BD for ¥21,000. Money is a bigger issue than before...I have had to pass on some of the recent bloated boxes (for example, Kiss & Rush) because I'd rather go on vacation. Honestly, I don't have that kind of yen these days, and...bonus... I'm retiring in 5 more years. Maybe the Revolver box minus the 5.1 bluray is just a way of waking me up and setting me free (haha).

PS> Sorry about the downer post :(
Streaming may be for you!

It's been a strange year for Beatles releases. Previously I've usually been looking forward to them and, probably, placing a pre-order. This year there seems to have been an effort to make the releases less appealing without any accompanying reduction in costs to the customer.

I would have loved to have bought the Get Back documentary having watched the 4K version on Disney+ but I held off placing an order until I read some reviews of the quality of the contents. Although the sound seemed to get good reviews the picture quality seemed to leave a lot to be desired (no 4K and digital scrubbing over used) so this was a pass for me. Now we have Revolver without any hi-res option (let alone a surround mix) but with a price that matches the previous box sets in terms of cost if not in content.

While it nice to have these options via streaming I would prefer something that I know gives me the best quality and can't suddenly disappear on the whim of the supplier.

Very sad.

Shikoku, likely I'm not alone in sharing your pain. You've certainly hit a nerve.

On one hand, these artists deserve the right to earn a living, even from work done decades ago. So, they and/or the companies want to "cash out" on the product and intellectual property, like publishing. Undoubtedly, that is also their right.

Still, I too feel I'm being played for a sucker by much of this product. Admittedly, it is my choice as to how to spend hard earned $$$. For most of my adult life, I've been able to buy nearly every new release I wanted the day it dropped. Because I worked for years for a sister co of CBS/Columbia records, I often got promo only product and official releases in advance. I was also a friend and "good customer" of many record store owners, so often I'd buy product prior to the date it dropped. You might say I "subscribed" to hundreds of artists. Still do.

Now, I buy fewer titles than ever, yet I spend far more $$$ than ever for less. There's very little I buy when it hits the street, other than super duper uber deluxe, BD, SACD, and/or surround product. I put priority on acquiring new 5.1 mixes. Reissues of Quad mixes often take precedent over all else, even though I already own original Quads of those titles.

I've done very few conversions. I bought hundreds of Quads as new releases 50-ish years ago. And there will be more Quad "legacy polls" soon. My apologies in making that a low priority, due to life getting in the way. Thanks to the other Mods for helping out by creating some new polls. I've been here, but doing too much QQ on the phone on the fly. Thanks to all for your continued patience. Most of all, those who have also heard these old Quad titles need to comment. Otherwise, it becomes one-dimensional with only/mostly my poll ratings and comments. Boring...

What other aspect of collecting has suffered? Owning new music and new archival releases upon release have suffered. People like Miles and Dylan for example have a few later new and archival releases that I've yet to acquire. I'm a completists and caught them both live many times. SACD's & uber deluxe are the reason for these gaps.

Life is a matter of choices and priorities. So, limited releases take priority, even over things I'd rather buy, but aren't limited releases. More choices are beneficial, but stretch the finances to the breaking point.

Beatles completist FOR SURE! Still, no surround means Revolver deluxe goes on the back burner. Likely, I'll get caught up on Miles & Dylan before buying this. I already own Revolver on MoFi LP Collection box (best analog), UK Rolltop 2h CD Collection (best RBCD), Japan mono CD box, US 2ch CD collection (remastered), UK mono LP in red mono box, UK blue LP collection, US albums 2ch & mono CD box, and mint US 2ch LP. Bought this 11 times, incl orig US 2ch and original US CD.

"Look out, here comes tomorrow, that's when I have to choose..." - Neil Diamond

I pre ordered the 5 CD Revolver Box set from Amazon today. I had points and a gift card so my total was $3.62.
I, like others have slowed down a lot this year on music purchases overall.
I notice my behavior with my streaming library (Apple Music) is the same as when I would buy hard discs. I would purchase and maybe listen once or twice, at least with my streaming library, I may do the same, listen once or twice but costs me only my subscription.
The collector in me just couldn't pass up a Beatles box set, I am changing, just haven't changed completely.

For what it's worth, I'm waiting this out to see which precedent is set by this box. It will be either:
  1. The first legally downloadable Atmos mix (in this case, with a download card, a GOOD precedent), or
  2. The first super deluxe edition that requires a subscription to hear the multichannel or Atmos mix (a BAD precedent).
Correct me if I'm wrong about either. Like many of you I'm expecting it to be the latter, but I'm holding out a little hope that it's the former.

I won't rent music. It's not like I don't OWN multiple copies of Revolver already.
This is exactly the question in my mind! And I am guessing that the lack of clarity surrounding this question in the press release makes it more likely that number two above is the answer. In that case, the price tag of the Super Deluxe set is way overblown IMO.

The good news for me is that I got in the game pretty late, so there are many used gems out there still for me to pursue. Atmos, stream, Blu-ray, Sacd…is it like cassettes and eight tracks in the seventies? So many more ways to hear music now, but it looks like the end point is streaming. The Revolver release seems to support that.

I have inquired about the Digital Audio Collection (emailed [email protected])
  • Digital Audio Collection (stereo & hi res 96kHz/24-bit stereo + mono + Dolby Atmos)
The announcement page is very hard to decipher! Almost makes it look like the Digital collection comes with the Super Deluxe CD set and a "Special Edition" set.
But, I suspect they've mashed a bunch of different sets together, according to how many tracks you get.
I've concluded this because, when you go to order any of the sets, the digital collection is NOT listed. And seeing the exact orientation of the sets for sale helps clarify the announcement page considerably.

I have asked where and how it can be bought and whether it will be downloadable or streaming only.
Why do I care? On the off chance that an Atmos download would be lossless. This would be less preferable to a blu-ray, but would suffice, for me, if the price is right.

https://www.thebeatles.com/announcing-revolver-special-editions-newshttps://usastore.thebeatles.com/col...cts/revolver-special-edition-super-deluxe-5cd

Back