Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked through the Imwan pages. There, they claim the info came from beatles.com. There, I dont see anything that says there is a downloadable version.
"Download" appears (0:33) in the promo video, available on the announcement site and YouTube. The question is, how to you buy that and what is included? Lossless downloadable Atmos?

"It probably comes with the box i'd imagine."

Maybe, maybe not. I can't think of a more confusing way Apple Ltd could have described this. It borders on deliberate obfuscation.

There is NO clear defined statement that the Digital Audio collection is included in a box set or in what form it will be provided (download to buy or streaming only). Each site re-gurgitates wording & one site's wording infers it's part of the box but another site organizes the wording & bulleted points very differently so it looks like it's a completely separate entity & leaves it to the imagination if it means streaming or not.

Bottom line is not one site really seems to know. And Amazon sure doesn't say anything about it.

Hopefully, Mike Life in Surround will get an answer from Apple that makes sense!

Last edited:
Found it out on Imwan.com in the From The Vaults section.
I donno...the initial post in that thread only added language about a "downloadable" digital package after a post earlier today by a bloke who seems to have come to the same (probably erroneous) conclusion that I and others here initially did, after reading the package description at beatles.com. But the language there is confusing and opaque, and there's no unambiguous promise of downloadable Atmos mixes. Rather, it implies that the "Revolver Special Edition (Super Deluxe)" will be available in three versions: Digital Audio Collection, 5CD+, and 4LP+. The "Digital Audio Collection" may well be streaming only, or the digital download part of it may be stereo & mono, while the digital streaming part may be stereo & Atmos. I'm skeptical that they're going to make the Atmos mix available for purchase.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=116993https://www.thebeatles.com/announcing-revolver-special-editions-news

Last edited:
I donno...the initial post in that thread only added language about a "downloadable" digital package after a post earlier today by a bloke who seems to have come the same to the same (probably erroneous) conclusion that I and others here initially did, after reading the package description at beatles.com. But the language there is confusing and opaque, and there's no unambiguous promise of downloadable Atmos mixes. Rather, it implies that the "Revolver Special Edition (Super Deluxe)" will be available in three versions: Digital Audio Collection, 5CD+, and 4LP+. The "Digital Audio Collection" may well be streaming only.
Exactly! It's all someone's wishful interpretation being repeated as gospel. There is no clear wording directly from Apple/UMG on the Beatles site or anywhere else.

Streaming only for the Digital collection would explain why it's not for pre-order anywhere.

Then what the heck is downloadable?

And where is the "fine print" that dude references?

Nothing downloadable confirmed. "Fine print":
https://www.thebeatles.com/announcing-revolver-special-editions-news
"...The physical and digital Super Deluxe collections also feature the album’s original mono mix, 28 early takes from the sessions and three home demos, and a four-track EP with new stereo mixes and remastered original mono mixes for “Paperback Writer” and “Rain”. The album’s new Dolby Atmos mix will be released digitally.​
Revolver Special Edition (Super Deluxe): 63 tracks​
  • Digital Audio Collection (stereo & hi res 96kHz/24-bit stereo + mono + Dolby Atmos)
  • 5CD (stereo & mono audio) with 100-page hardbound book in a 12.56” x 12.36” slipcase
  • 4LP+7-inch EP (stereo & mono audio) on half-speed mastered 180-gram vinyl with 100-page hardbound book in a 12.56” x 12.36” slipcase
    • DISC 1: Revolver (New stereo mix): 14 tracks
    • DISCS 2 & 3: Sessions (stereo & mono): 31 tracks
    • DISC 4: Revolver (Original mono master): 14 tracks
    • DISC 5: Revolver EP: 4 tracks
    o “Paperback Writer” & “Rain” (New stereo mixes & Original mono mixes remastered)"

Nothing downloadable confirmed. "Fine print":
https://www.thebeatles.com/announcing-revolver-special-editions-news
"...The physical and digital Super Deluxe collections also feature the album’s original mono mix, 28 early takes from the sessions and three home demos, and a four-track EP with new stereo mixes and remastered original mono mixes for “Paperback Writer” and “Rain”. The album’s new Dolby Atmos mix will be released digitally.​
Revolver Special Edition (Super Deluxe): 63 tracks​
  • Digital Audio Collection (stereo & hi res 96kHz/24-bit stereo + mono + Dolby Atmos)
  • 5CD (stereo & mono audio) with 100-page hardbound book in a 12.56” x 12.36” slipcase
  • 4LP+7-inch EP (stereo & mono audio) on half-speed mastered 180-gram vinyl with 100-page hardbound book in a 12.56” x 12.36” slipcase
    • DISC 1: Revolver (New stereo mix): 14 tracks
    • DISCS 2 & 3: Sessions (stereo & mono): 31 tracks
    • DISC 4: Revolver (Original mono master): 14 tracks
    • DISC 5: Revolver EP: 4 tracks
    o “Paperback Writer” & “Rain” (New stereo mixes & Original mono mixes remastered)"
Dude's just reading in to things, then.

What do you think the margin is on those $120 box sets? You spend $1,200 - ONCE - but the label makes a small fraction of that. Lots of other fingers in that pie. And the label is at your mercy as to whether or when or how much you’re willing to spend.

Whereas streaming can provide a steady, predictable, perpetual and higher margin revenue stream which also provides near complete control over the intellectual property.

Physical discs - particularly for surround music - are basically done. Sure, a few may bubble to the surface over the next few years for a few legacy acts trying to milk one last dime from older fans. However, by and large, they’re on-life support but effectively brain dead.

One can try to wishfully convince themselves that the powers-that-be are leaving money in the table. But in terms of long-term strategy, the net profit from a few thousand box sets is a pimple on a gnat’s ass.

The only hope is 1) we can get lossless surround via streaming and 2) the labels/streaming services don’t throw in the towel on home system Atmos and don’t go all in with headphones surround only.
That’s my secret fear. No more “ true” multi channel music, just “ virtualizations” of it in headphones.

This could be an entire separate discussion, but we are steadily living our lives in virtual worlds. Just think about how most people don’t talk to each other anymore, they text. People don’t socialize with each other, physically, they Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

I figure Orwell knew it was going to be different, he just didnt get all the details right.

People don’t socialize with each other, physically, they Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Or yap at each other on QuadraphonicQuad. :)

Seems that we'll just have to see what we eventually get. All I know is that it is my birthright for unbridled access to a high resolution multichannel mix...and then to spend the next three weeks bitching and moaning about what I don't like about it.

That’s my secret fear. No more “ true” multi channel music, just “ virtualizations” of it in headphones.
If dollars and cents is all that matters (which is basically the argument as to why physical releases are disappearing) then I can't see how it doesn't end up that way. If the vast majority of people are listening to their "spatial audio" (that term already waters down the product) on headphones and only a niche group group is using dedicated Atmos surround systems, then why would they go to the trouble? It makes more cents to cater to the majority. Nothing new to this group we have spent our lives in the niche group.

In addition to the absence of the high-resolution disc, and the 5.1 mix, I was just thinking about how skimpy the session discs are.
The common argument is that it should be about quality, and not quantity.
I normally agree with this.

BUT... this is a "deluxe ultra bells & whistles, pull out the stops kind of thing".
What else are they waiting for? This is the last call for a release like this, especially for first-generation Beatles fans.

I am not trying to sound morbid, but the first generation of Beatles fans are either retired or approaching retirement. Many have already passed on.

This really is last call for a release like this.
I feel like the Dylan bootleg series and the Lennon boxes have been great when it comes to the kitchen sink approach.

Every single song on the original album is perfect. How is there no alternate or early take for "Good Day Sunshine"?

In addition to the absence of the high-resolution disc, and the 5.1 mix, I was just thinking about how skimpy the session discs are.
The common argument is that it should be about quality, and not quantity.
I normally agree with this.

BUT... this is a "deluxe ultra bells & whistles, pull out the stops kind of thing".
What else are they waiting for? This is the last call for a release like this, especially for first-generation Beatles fans.

I am not trying to sound morbid, but the first generation of Beatles fans are either retired or approaching retirement. Many have already passed on.

This really is last call for a release like this.
I feel like the Dylan bootleg series and the Lennon boxes have been great when it comes to the kitchen sink approach.

Every single song on the original album is perfect. How is there no alternate or early take for "Good Day Sunshine"?
I hear you in terms of a 'kitchen sink' approach. Part of me wants to hear every note they ever recorded as well. At the same time, there's something to be said for only releasing the stuff that is different enough or quirky enough to be interesting. Repeated takes of the same song where the only difference is they were just trying to nail it a bit tighter? Or a lot of early stops because someone flubbed a bit? I can see leaving that behind.

In the case of Good Day Sunshine, that was one of the quickest tracks they recorded for the album. They only did three takes and ended up keeping Take 1. So presumably the other two were simply attempts to see if "can we do this any better?" only to find out they really couldn't.

Last edited:
I hear you in terms of a 'kitchen sink' approach. Part of me wants to hear every note they ever recorded as well. At the same time, there's something to be said for only releasing the stuff that is different enough or quirky enough to be interesting. Repeated takes of the same song where the only difference is they were just trying to nail it a bit tighter? Or a lot of early stops because someone flubbed a bit? I can see leaving that behind.

In the case of Good Day Sunshine, that was one of the quickest tracks they recorded for the album. They only did three takes and ended up keeping Take 1. So presumably the other two were simply attempts to see if "can we do this any better?" only to find out they really couldn't.

I don't think we need to hear every single take, either. My bad, I wasn't clear in what I meant. But I do believe there's enough good or interesting material in the can to easily fill up 2 compact discs.
In the case of "Good Day Sunshine" maybe a mix with just the basic track, minus the overdubs from the next day. Or maybe a demo?
Maybe one of the rehearsals was recorded?

I was just thinking of how exhaustive (in a good way) the Pet Sounds Sessions box from 1997 was.
Every track was represented multiple times. I think that's a good model to follow.

I don't think we need to hear every single take, either. My bad, I wasn't clear in what I meant. But I do believe there's enough good or interesting material in the can to easily fill up 2 compact discs.
In the case of "Good Day Sunshine" maybe a mix with just the basic track, minus the overdubs from the next day. Or maybe a demo?
Maybe one of the rehearsals was recorded?

I was just thinking of how exhaustive (in a good way) the Pet Sounds Sessions box from 1997 was.
Every track was represented multiple times. I think that's a good model to follow.
Well, unless we know what actually exists there’s not much to go on in terms of what they didn’t include. Basic tracks before vocals or overdubs? Yeah that stuff exists but it does start to get a bit bloated when they do all that IMO. I’m good for one or two listens to the outtake discs as it is. I think I’ve played my Pet Sounds box all the way through exactly one time.

Back