Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Music to my....eyes; especially the last bullet point:

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 10.50.21 AM.png

No worries, GOS. It is said that "Repetition is the Mother of Skill." I didn't see the Ryan's link or even your link and went into a panic Googling it lest this be another one of those limited-to-1000-copies" deal like Ten Years After. I eventually saw that it indeed has 10-day ordering window, but not until I after I bought it.

Have ordered. I'm really hoping for something special from the Atmos mix. Already have the quad SACD mix and the 5.1 mix - which was available as a lossless download for a short period of time from Bowers & Wilkins. Great that it's being made available again for others though...

Fingers crossed it's an adventurous Atmos mix, otherwise I might find myself 'possessed' with slight annoyance... 😵‍💫😂

Nope, this leaves out the 1st Quad mix, only available on CD4 or Q8. I suppose if you're only going to put 1 quad mix on it, it makes sense to go with the 2nd, I think that's considered the better of the two. But - I would have preferred to see the first be included, since I already have the 2nd on SACD.
My SACD claims to be sourced from an experimental mix that MO did not approve. Sounds like the 1st/Beta, to me?
As opposed to the mix released on the Boxed set?
Someone confirm?

My SACD claims to be sourced from an experimental mix that MO did not approve. Sounds like the 1st/Beta, to me?
As opposed to the mix released on the Boxed set?
Someone confirm?
The SACD including the 2nd quad mix that was on "Boxed" has been one of those "facts" I've known for so long, I have to dig for the origin.
There is much discussion about different mixes on the poll thread of the SACD - although a lot of confusion and speculation, but page 3 Owen states directly that the SACD is the same as the Boxed mix. HiRez Poll - Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [SACD]

Then there's this thread where I flat out asked what was what, and the answer was that the SACD includes the Boxed quad mix "Tubular Bells" SACD Features '70s Quad Mix

Of course both of these come under a saying I am so fond of, "I read it on the internet, it must be true"

I have the Boxed CD and the SACD, although it's been a long time since I've played the Boxed CD or ran it through a decoder of any kind - although on quick review both have the same Narrated ending while the CD4/Q8 mix doesn't have narration at the ending.

So, based on the SDE announcement saying it includes the 1975 quad mix, and the Boxed mix coming out in 1975 with the US CD4/Q8 coming out in 1973 according to discogs, and the other observations I've laid out here, I believe the SACD includes the 1975 boxed quad mix, and that the bluray will also include this.

But, I could be wrong, and I suppose we'll find out what exactly is on the bluray when we receive them.

The SACD including the 2nd quad mix that was on "Boxed" has been one of those "facts" I've known for so long, I have to dig for the origin.
There is much discussion about different mixes on the poll thread of the SACD - although a lot of confusion and speculation, but page 3 Owen states directly that the SACD is the same as the Boxed mix. HiRez Poll - Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [SACD]

Then there's this thread where I flat out asked what was what, and the answer was that the SACD includes the Boxed quad mix "Tubular Bells" SACD Features '70s Quad Mix

Of course both of these come under a saying I am so fond of, "I read it on the internet, it must be true"

I have the Boxed CD and the SACD, although it's been a long time since I've played the Boxed CD or ran it through a decoder of any kind - although on quick review both have the same Narrated ending while the CD4/Q8 mix doesn't have narration at the ending.

So, based on the SDE announcement saying it includes the 1975 quad mix, and the Boxed mix coming out in 1975 with the US CD4/Q8 coming out in 1973 according to discogs, and the other observations I've laid out here, I believe the SACD includes the 1975 boxed quad mix, and that the bluray will also include this.

But, I could be wrong, and I suppose we'll find out what exactly is on the bluray when we receive them.
TB_Quad_crop.jpg

TB_Quad_back-crop.jpg

Per the liner notes of the SACD, the contained Quad mix is the same as the Boxed mix. Good to gain some clarity there.
It also refers to earlier "abortive attempts" at Quad, mixed at Abbey Roads. Is this the 1st mix to which you're referring? Was it released on CD-4 and Q8?
I have a CD-4 of this record. If abortive, is it even worth spinning? Or hoping it makes it to the blu-ray?

Last edited:
View attachment 90115
View attachment 90116
Per the liner notes of the SACD, the contained Quad mix is the same as the Boxed mix. Good to gain some clarity there.
It also refers to earlier "abortive attempts" at Quad, mixed at Abbey Roads. Is this the 1st mix to which you're referring? Was it released on CD-4 and Q8?
I have a CD-4 of this record. If abortive, is it even worth spinning? Or hoping it makes it to the blu-ray?
the CD-4 was a load of old Tubular Balls (double Stereo fake from what i remember).. but don't quote me on that, Baggy! 😋🤣🤤

Back