Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Dutchman anxiously awaiting his Bells. Mine still in the UK: We've got it, says Royal Mail since last Thursday (may 25)....

Mine arrived in deep south Texas yesterday. I really must get an Atmos set-up. Living in an apartment, I'd probably be limited to two upward firing speakers rather than ceiling installed. Any thoughts on the quality of sound with those or should I wait until I move somewhere that would allow ceiling installation?

Mine arrived in deep south Texas yesterday. I really must get an Atmos set-up. Living in an apartment, I'd probably be limited to two upward firing speakers rather than ceiling installed. Any thoughts on the quality of sound with those or should I wait until I move somewhere that would allow ceiling installation?
Upward firing speakers are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, just my opinion, mine weren’t the most expensive but I still expect to be able to hear them without putting my ear to them

Had a couple listens to the atmos played thru 5.1 sounds great and the quad. I think the new atmos mix as downmixed? to 5.1 sounds more spacious.
I like the snippet of TB4 and wish Oldfield would have finished it.
All in all this is a great package but is not going to get daily plays.
On the other hand I am playing the Dylan bluray much much more than I ever did with the original cd.

Move :p

I started my Atmos journey off with low cost up-firing (Sony: SS-CSE Dolby Atmos® Enabled Speakers). While I could detect discreet sounds coming from the speaker, there was next to no sensation of "height" provided.

My next move was to Klipsch's RP-500 SA. At first I just had them positioned as up-firing but again was underwhelmed with the "height' effects.
Mounted them on the wall and it was a humongous improvement. I liked them but still felt that I was missing out fully on the "height" effects.

Finally had the opportunity & spare bucks to install overheads - Much better.

When it comes to ATMOS speakers I think the general consensus is up firing < heights < on ceiling.

I started up firing and was extremely underwhelmed. Moved to heights at the wall/ceiling junction and am as happy as can be.

Would not recommend up firing unless absolutely that is your only choice.

I have a sound bar (yeah…yeah… I know. But hey it has real rears and sub!) that has two up firing speakers on the front bar… and yeah it’s a 50/50 coin flip on whether or not it comes off as effective. Watching all the extended LOTR movies with the new Atmos mix: definitely noticeable. Music? Harder to tell.

Upward firing speakers are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, just my opinion, mine weren’t the most expensive but I still expect to be able to hear them without putting my ear to them
I agree. I tried them once and they were practically useless. Still sitting on the floor in my storage room waiting to get sold to some suck....., er, buyer.

Back