WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh gawd, I want it, there is a lot in it, but I'll only listen to the additional live CDs once, the album CD probably never, its the surround Blu-ray which has what I will listen to the most often. :unsure: Am I prepared to cough up that much, I just don't know!
After a nice hot cup of chammomille tea, Dunc, I'm sure you'll reach the right decision 🫖

Folks need to chill and help a fellow out here, I'm trying real hard to be that guy that sees the glass half full instead of half empty.

If the complaining continues the Mods. will probably just freeze this thread; and it's not like anything we say here is going to change the release of these types of Mega Box sets. We all want the same thing; great sound quality and mix with no unwanted baggage and trinkets, in an inexpensive package - No Shit!

Again, give it some time for more pricing to show up (hopefully on the downward trend.) There is a lot of value on this set IMO.

I've got a number of big box sets sitting next to my desk that I still need to open and listen to (and they're good ones.) But with all the projects and personal chores I need to be doing, there's no hurry for me.

...although, this is one of those, that when it hits my door I'll be all over it like a ravenous Honey Badger ripping into a bee hive. 😄

If it helps anyone, I'll be happy to sacrifice my own thread associated with this type of venting & carping, so you can have-at-it over there-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/are-we-in-a-catch-22-scenario-with-box-sets.26541/

I've got a number of big box sets sitting next to my desk that I still need to open and listen to (and they're good ones.) But with all the projects and personal chores I need to be doing, there's no hurry for me.

...although, this is one of those, that when it hits my door I'll be all over it like a ravenous Honey Badger ripping into a bee hive. 😄

If it helps anyone, I'll be happy to sacrifice my own thread associated with this type of venting & carping, so you can have-at-it over there-
I'm sure there's a number of us that would be happy for you to sacrifice the box sets to us, too. 👀

Folks need to chill and help a fellow out here, I'm trying real hard to be that guy that sees the glass half full instead of half empty.
Here's an interesting angle that I don't think anyone has brought up yet - had they elected not to include a Blu-Ray in this set, Steven Wilson's stereo & 5.1 remixes probably would not have been released. As with the Chic, Sister Sledge, Van Morrison, Def Leppard, and Grateful Dead titles he worked on, we would only have gotten the Atmos mix on the streaming services. I know I find it aggravating that there are dedicated 2.0 & 5.1 versions of all those albums that will likely never see the light of day.

Here's an interesting angle that I don't think anyone has brought up yet - had they elected not to include a Blu-Ray in this set, Steven Wilson's stereo & 5.1 remixes probably would not have been released. As with the Chic, Sister Sledge, Van Morrison, Def Leppard, and Grateful Dead titles he worked on, we would only have gotten the Atmos mix on the streaming services. I know I find it aggravating that there are dedicated 2.0 & 5.1 versions of all those albums that will likely never see the light of day.
I had to go check to make sure it wasn't Astral Weeks for a second there. Odd there'd be two surround sound mixes of an album (Moondance) within a 10 year span, but I suppose the same happened with The Who's Tommy.

In fact... 💡

I'll see y'all in 10 years when we get Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix of Who's Next. 😎

I'll see y'all in 10 years when we get Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix of Who's Next. 😎
No such thing exists, but it sounds like Pete was planning to do it himself (having already completed the first 5.1 remix of Tommy) way back in 2004:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/fate-of-whos-next-5-1.2863/I guess they never did find everything that was missing (all of "Bargain" and part of "The Song Is Over").

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 6.55.14 PM.png

I knew this was going to be expensive and am not surprised by the price. I passed on the recent Dark Side reissue, since have the Immersion set. The other recent releases that have been $300 weren't special enough to me to spend that much on. I would have bought stand alone blu-rays of most of them, would have skipped Kiss. With Who's Next I'd be buying this set even if there was a naked blu-ray.

Already ordered.

Did the promo code work for anyone? I gave my information, received the confirmation, then was denied.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 7.31.15 PM.png

I'm not sure why people shouldn't voice their frustrations. If they feel like they're getting ripped off, that's not necessarily them saying that the content isn't good, but rather, the price is too high for the level of content. There are a number of people here who have said they would have bought this box set if it were more reasonably priced.

Also, with this being a surround sound forum, what's wrong with people saying they want a standalone blu-ray release? The dichotomy of buying/not buying the box set won't communicate to anyone that much of us want a standalone blu ray release. Short of us going out to message those involving with this reissue, voicing our opinions in this forum would be the best way to communicate that, no?
Agreed.
The content looks great, but the price point is obscene.
275 GBP is over 350 USD…or over $30 per disc…yes, there are books, but honestly, isn’t it about the music?
I applaud them for including a blu-ray, but…not at that price 🤑

Oh gawd, I want it, there is a lot in it, but I'll only listen to the additional live CDs once, the album CD probably never, its the surround Blu-ray which has what I will listen to the most often. :unsure: Am I prepared to cough up that much, I just don't know!
For a decision of this magnitude I would suggest going to the local pub...I'm sure you will get some great input there 🤣

I knew this was going to be expensive and am not surprised by the price. I passed on the recent Dark Side reissue, since have the Immersion set. The other recent releases that have been $300 weren't special enough to me to spend that much on. I would have bought stand alone blu-rays of most of them, would have skipped Kiss. With Who's Next I'd be buying this set even if there was a naked blu-ray.

Already ordered.

Did the promo code work for anyone? I gave my information, received the confirmation, then was denied.

View attachment 93956
Just guessing, but quite often promo codes are only for items in stock, not pre-orders.

i think we should complain about the price, just maybe the folks who made the decision to not make a stand alone blu ray will see it and change their minds. I am retiring real soon and no way can i afford this. i would have to think twice at 100.00. i would never listen to anything but the surround mix in this set. i have no interest in the rest.

Already ordered.

View attachment 93956
I really want this.... but at $515 AUD I cannot really afford it at the moment....

Back