Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened today to “Ahead of the Game” in a number of virtual Atmos configurations (on an A16) - 5.1.4, 7.1.4, 9.1.6, and 12.1.10. One advantage to this setup is that I can listen to individual channels and so unambiguously can hear what’s going on, as opposed to standing adjacent to a given speaker. It sounds great to me - not the best Atmos or surround mix ever, but certainly far better than it sounds in stereo. We’ve waited a while for a new Dire Straits or Knopfler surround album on physical media, and I am pleased to encourage physical media through the purchase.

Unfortunately on Apple Music in the US (that I could find) the Atmos mix of BIA is not available, just the few songs from BIA that are on the Money for Nothing 2022 remaster that are in Atmos. So I haven’t been able to do a fair comparison of the 5.1 SACD to the Atmos.

The 5.1 BIA is indeed great, but I personally far prefer both the DVD-A of Sailing to Philadelphia and the 5.1 SACD of Shangri-La. “Speedway at Nazareth” is particularly good, and yes, I really like the backing vocals being mixed in with the lead vocal in the front left (with the lead vocal also in center and right). After the last lyrics are sung “Speedway” ramps up into a long crescendo that really swirls around you in 5.1. It’s also usually his best song live and often the last song before the encore. On Shangri-La the quiet songs are very effective in 5.1, particularly “Back to Tupelo,” and of course ”Boom Like That” is a good rocker in surround.

Here’s a screenshot of the VU meters in 9.1.6 on “Ahead of the Game”. C/Lb/Rb are all quiet compared to the rest, but are still active. So yes, front heavy, but that isn’t necessarily an indication that the full album will be front heavy. The mixes on Shangi-La and Sailing to Philadelphia vary a lot from song to song as to placement of vocals/instruments and discreetness.
IMG_8419.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder what's going on there. It's a bit like what happened with the Dire Straits live box set, which was released much later in the US than in Europe.
As I mentioned upthread, Knopfler’s Privateering wasn’t even released in the US the year it came out, and Knopfler toured instead as the opening act to Bob Dylan in some of the US shows. Weird, particularly since his prior solo albums had done well here.

I saw Knopfler live a few years back. The poor guy couldn't even stand. He sat on a stool on stage and performed.
I saw him in 2019 on his last US tour. Not spry, but he stood and moved quite a bit. It’s not unusual for him to sit on acoustic pieces.

That said, he’s only 8 years younger than Bob Dylan, and Dylan has just been leaning or sitting during his concerts for a long time. Both Dylan and Knopfler suffered serious injuries in motorcycle crashes (we know much less about Dylan’s crash), so who knows, maybe there are lingering effects.

It's at least on Apple Music, full album available
Could you post a link to it? Every time I've searched on Apple Music I can only find the "Warner Remaster" lossless version of BIA. The Atmos version of the Money for Nothing compilation album is easy to find, but with BIA I have no luck. Thanks!

(Note - perhaps this is just an issue with Apple Music in the US.)

Could you post a link to it? Every time I've searched on Apple Music I can only find the "Warner Remaster" lossless version of BIA. The Atmos version of the Money for Nothing compilation album is easy to find, but with BIA I have no luck. Thanks!

(Note - perhaps this is just an issue with Apple Music in the US.)
I don’t see a full album Atmos version of BIA either on Apple Music. I am also in the US.

Back