Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered as soon as I got the email this afternoon. Whew. I’m assuming that since they took my money, I’m among the 2000.

I’ve been to a concert on every one of Knopfler’s tours starting with Shangri-La, including the year that Down the Road Wherever [EDIT: whoops, it was Privateering] inexplicably had no US release or solo tour. Fortunately Bob Dylan invited Knopfler’s group as the opening act on a number of his shows. Fantastic Dylan tour as well, plus Knopfler played on a few songs in Dylan’s first set. It was even good in the United Center in Chicago, despite the awful acoustics there. Usually Knopfler played the Chicago Theatre on State Street - an awesome venue for this sort of music.

My last Knopfler concert was at Red Rocks in 2019.
IMG_7401.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered as soon as I got the email this afternoon. Whew. I’m assuming that since they took my money, I’m among the 2000.

I’ve been to a concert on every one of Knopfler’s tours starting with Shangri-La, including the year that Down the Road Wherever inexplicably had no US release or solo tour. Fortunately Bob Dylan invited Knopfler’s group as the opening act on a number of his shows. Fantastic Dylan tour as well, plus Knopfler played on a few songs in Dylan’s first set. It was even good in the United Center in Chicago, despite the awful acoustics there. Usually Knopfler played the Chicago Theatre on State Street - an awesome venue for this sort of music.

My last Knopfler concert was at Red Rocks in 2019.
View attachment 100666
Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been :p

There may be something hinky with how that page is rendering for you. Price should show as £23 per disc (i.e. in Pounds), not $23 (i.e. in Dollars). That comes to about $31 per disc.
I see a price when ordering (dollars) then see (lbs) on checkout. But when I get the invoice it's in USD. A rare few times it's been totally fubar but always comes out right on the invoice they send. I've asked Chloe about that and she's said there's a glitch in the site that does that sometimes.
Another thing I found, but of course never remember, is that Chrome seems to work better on the site than FF. Seems to be a peculiarity I've found on another UK site as well when I try to order any of Rob Reeds collaborations (coming up empty on the site name right now, C.R.S.)

Ah yes, Tigermoth records.

Last edited:
Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been :p
Red Rocks is an amazing place to see a concert (as long as it doesn’t rain or sleet or snow).

My top Knopfler experience was at the Chicago Theatre, when via the fan club I lucked into 2nd row seats. Not 2nd row fixed seats, mind you, but 2nd row in the orchestra pit, about 6 feet from the edge of the stage. So close I could hear fingers sliding on the metal strings. Unforgettable.

Unlike previous Knopfler albums, it appears there won't be a "deluxe" CD with bonus tracks. Rather, the only way to get the bonus tracks on CD is through the $200 deluxe box set:

https://store.bluenote.com/products/mark-knopfler-one-deep-river
I'm glad the five tracks are included on the SDE Blu-ray.
As I already said on SHF, this is not true. There's a standalone 2CD here.
https://shop.markknopfler.com/product/mark-knopfler-one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-eur/JPC: Mark Knopfler: One Deep River (Deluxe Edition) (2 CDs) – jpc
Just for Kicks: One Deep River 2CD Digipack + 20 Page Booklet

The only tracks exclusive to the deluxe box set are the four ones on the extra LP.

The atmos mix of Ahead of the Game doesn't add much to the stereo experience, or is it just me? The song is great, but the mix doesn't suggest anything good for this upcoming atmos mix.
Sounds good on my 7.4.4 setup, but it's a little front heavy and there's nothing in the SB speakers.

As I already said on SHF, this is not true. There's a standalone 2CD here.
https://shop.markknopfler.com/product/mark-knopfler-one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-eur/JPC: Mark Knopfler: One Deep River (Deluxe Edition) (2 CDs) – jpc
Just for Kicks: One Deep River 2CD Digipack + 20 Page Booklet

The only tracks exclusive to the deluxe box set are the four ones on the extra LP.
Perhaps that edition is exclusive to Europe? I can't imagine another reason why the label's own U.S. website wouldn't list/carry a particular edition. It's also listed here at Knopfler's own U.K. shop:

https://shopuk.markknopfler.com/products/one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-edition
And here at the global shop, for E.U. customers only:

https://shop.markknopfler.com/product/mark-knopfler-one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-eur/
When I access the above page, I'm greeted with the message:

Sorry this item is not available to purchase in your country. Look for a related item in the catalog that you can add to your cart.

If I select the "One Deep River" option from the page menu, I get this message:

No products were found matching your selection.

Customers from the UK or US, click here to purchase.

Following the above link offers no options for the standalone 2-CD edition.

Last edited:
Thanks to IOSS it's now cheaper to order (still €40 for one disc), but I can't help but feel that prior to joining IOSS, SDE simply sold the blurays to non-UK residents at a higher price. UK residentes would pay £23 with VAT included, non-UK residentes would pay £23 without VAT included. I've asked about this on the website, but my messages were rejected.
That was definitely the case. Before IOSS SDE was making more profit on shipments to non-UK buyers, equivalent of the VAT amount. I saw it as a investment to get this series going But yes, it was a bit odd from an accounting perspective, especially when it was advertised as excluding VAT. Technically it was but normally the price should have been 20% lower.

I just listened for the first time to the ‘Ahead of the Game’ single.

The first impression was good, much better than expected after some of the comments here. Bubble immersive sound. Clean Mark vocals in front, yes, but good ‘surrounded’ by guitar music, not perceiving the ‘front centric’ stage.

I then powered on my VUmeters to see the channels activity and walked around putting my ears near the speakers to ‘understand’ the mix.

Vocals are only in Fronts. They sound ‘dry’, no reverb or very little. I find it good, as it sounds very clean.

Center channel is not used at all. The vocals image in front sound good, not ‘isolated’

*** The Rhythm guitar and bass are mainly output by the Wides. Nothing on Fronts. That’s why I hear such as good front surround stage, enveloping the vocals, and not suffering of isolated front centric at all.

The same rhythm guitar/bass is on Top Fronts. That gives the Wide and Up rhythm stage that makes the enveloppe.

Sides are active also. And Top Rears are also active.

Surround Backs (rears) are not active (mainly). But a little with some distance echo/reverb in some high-level passages, the same as the Center Channel. I think that minimal contributes to the surrounding bubble.

In summary:
  • Not an aggressive mix, but good enough immersive bubble with some minor discrete effects with some sounds at the sides that seem to pan a little.
  • As I usually say, a mixer that locate Objects at the Wides position, knows what he is doing. And in this mix, Guy Fletcher use that location extensively and discretely.
  • Mark vocals very clean in front (Stereo image, no Center), very well surrounded by the music.
  • Waiting for the SDE Blu-Ray, to get a little more fidelity :)

EDITED: In a Guy Fletcher interview I have read that although the majority of people will listen through headphones, or soundbars, he expect that the listening with discrete speakers will evolve in the future. That's why he is thinking about the people with home theater discrete speakers, and even with 9.1.4 Wides. Considering the extensive use of the Objects at 'Wides' locations in this mix.

Last edited:
I just listened for the first time to the ‘Ahead of the Game’ single.

The first impression was good, much better than expected after some of the comments here. Bubble immersive sound. Clean Mark vocals in front, yes, but good ‘surrounded’ by guitar music, not perceiving the ‘front centric’ stage.

I then powered on my VUmeters to see the channels activity and walked around putting my ears near the speakers to ‘understand’ the mix.

Vocals are only in Fronts. They sound ‘dry’, no reverb or very little. I find it good, as it sounds very clean.

Center channel is not used at all. The vocals image in front sound good, not ‘isolated’

*** The Rhythm guitar and bass are mainly output by the Wides. Nothing on Fronts. That’s why I hear such as good front surround stage, enveloping the vocals, and not suffering of isolated front centric at all.

The same rhythm guitar/bass is on Top Fronts. That gives the Wide and Up rhythm stage that makes the enveloppe.

Sides are active also. And Top Rears are also active.

Surround Backs (rears) are not active (mainly). But a little with some distance echo/reverb in some high-level passages, the same as the Center Channel. I think that minimal contributes to the surrounding bubble.

In summary:
  • Not an aggressive mix, but good enough immersive bubble with some minor discrete effects with some sounds at the sides that seem to pan a little.
  • As I usually say, a mixer that locate Objects at the Wides position, knows what he is doing. And in this mix, Guy Fletcher use that location extensively and discretely.
  • Mark vocals very clean in front (Stereo image, no Center), very well surrounded by the music.
  • Waiting for the SDE Blu-Ray, to get a little more fidelity :)

EDITED: In a Guy Fletcher interview I have read that although the majority of people will listen through headphones, or soundbars, he expect that the listening with discrete speakers will evolve in the future. That's why he is thinking about the people with home theater discrete speakers, and even with 9.1.4 Wides. Considering the extensive use of the Objects at 'Wides' locations in this mix.
Uhmm, so what is it supposed to happen when people don't have any Wides? In order to keep the bubble effect you are experienced I would have expected the objects in the Wides would have moved towards the rears somehow.
But my rears are almost silent and the front centric experience is what I get.

Uhmm, so what is it supposed to happen when people don't have any Wides? In order to keep the bubble effect you are experienced I would have expected the objects in the Wides would have moved towards the rears somehow.
What setup do you have? 5.1.4 or 7.1.4? There are nothing in the surround back speakers but a nice output from the side surrounds, but I agree it's a little front centric.

I see a price when ordering (dollars) then see (lbs) on checkout. But when I get the invoice it's in USD. A rare few times it's been totally fubar but always comes out right on the invoice they send. I've asked Chloe about that and she's said there's a glitch in the site that does that sometimes.
Another thing I found, but of course never remember, is that Chrome seems to work better on the site than FF. Seems to be a peculiarity I've found on another UK site as well when I try to order any of Rob Reeds collaborations (coming up empty on the site name right now, C.R.S.)

Ah yes, Tigermoth records.
Placed my order this morning. I know, I was asleep at the wheel and took a serious risk of being shut out!

I think that Objects located at Wides position and a little high, because same sound outputs also on the Top Fronts, would be rendered to Fronts, Top Fronts, and Sides, in a 7.1.4

Wide sound would be output by the two adjacent speakers: Front and Side.

The discrete output that is at the Wide would be "merged" together in the Front and in the Side, thus "downmixing" the sounds and having more amount of sounds in the Front and in the Wide.

That would decrease the overall effect. How much? I don't know. More decrease as less speakers we have to the maximum of only 2 speakers and get "everything together" in a single stereo.

Sometimes I plan to test and deconfigure the Wides to have just 7.1.4 and compare. But as this comparison cannot be done directly A-B, I'm a little lazy to test that.

The wide's move to the front mains

Back