Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting. Is there a link that might elaborate on that?
You're making me work hard today. ;) The link was posted earlier.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/album...review-and-interviews-including-james-gu.html

JG: “I personally would love to do Meddle. It’s one of the better-sounding Pink Floyd albums. I’d also like to do Animals, which is probably one of the worst-sounding Pink Floyd albums. I love it musically, but the drums sound like hatboxes. Wouldn’t it be great to take Animals, put it in the correct spatial environment, and work on the individual sounds? And of course, I’d like to do The Wall, having done it originally.”

I will repeat myself just to make it clear....I never said that there were not problems with the source tapes....all I ever said is that the album was recorded at least 2x....and was shot down on that point....that's all I'm debating 😀

If you asumed otherwise....sorry

No. You clearly said that because you believe Ezrin told you in an interview 40 years ago that it was recorded “at least 2x” and that because your sister worked in the studio that you “are pretty sure the tapes are fine. ‘Nuff said”.

You didn’t really leave much room for assumption, so don’t put it on me.

I really don’t want to argue this silliness. But I don’t really appreciate being told I’m making assumptions about things clearly stated.

No. You clearly said that because you believe Ezrin told you in an interview 40 years ago that it was recorded “at least 2x” and that because your sister worked in the studio that you “are pretty sure the tapes are fine. ‘Nuff said”.

You didn’t really leave much room for assumption, so don’t put it on me.

I really don’t want to argue this silliness. But I don’t really appreciate being told I’m making assumptions about things clearly stated.
Ok I stand corrected.....and appologize 😀

Two warnings from mods and staff to get back on topic and we're still sniping. You folks are making my old forum manager ban finger twitch! ;):p:cool:

In the case of PF, we’ve been fortunate to get many more MC mixes from them than from most bands.
Does anyone have a definitive list of the MC mixes we have from PF in any form?

Ok. Back to Animals! I’d much prefer to have this one in 5.1 right now. I think there is much more to reveal and clean up with this mix by putting it into surround than there would be with The Wall.

Also, while I was completely blown away by The Wall and played it to death when I was 18, it’s not an album that has aged well, IMO. It fit in great with the youthful angst of my early adulthood, but not so well as a middle-aged man. While the 5.1 would no doubt be a very interesting and fun listen, I’m not sure how often I’d go back to it.

Animals, OTHO, still works for me
Man I could not agree with this more. I get that The Wall really is brilliant and groundbreaking for sure. But it really doesn't track with us (or at least me) getting older and evolving as people. It's a very angsty album for sure, but for me it's also just so cynical and dark conceptually that I don't often feel I can spare the "bandwidth" so-to-speak in diving back into the album full force and reliving it.

In a TOTALLY different way, it's also that way for me with Pearl Jam's Ten and [/i]Vs.[/i]. They're both such amazing albums, but they're filled with such a specific raging angst, and they transport me to such a tumultuous time in my young life, that I really don't feel I can take them off the shelf too often. I just have aged and evolved to a point where the content of these albums that so spoke to me just isn't something I want to relive on a frequent basis.

Ok I stand corrected.....and appologize 😀

More than fair enough. :)

s’all good, man!

CC2BFD6A-D308-4605-A3ED-560E04256B94.jpeg

Last edited:
...I get that The Wall really is brilliant and groundbreaking for sure. But it really doesn't track with us (or at least me) getting older and evolving as people. It's a very angsty album for sure, but for me it's also just so cynical and dark conceptually that I don't often feel I can spare the "bandwidth" so-to-speak in diving back into the album full force and reliving it.
For The Wall, I'm good with RW's Live version in Atmos. I dig what he added, the projections and whatnot. Somewhat modernized, in some ways.
Mix sounds glorious, though not exactly like a discrete studio album.
Still, I'm satisfied with it, if we don't ever get the studio album remixed.

You're making me work hard today. ;) The link was posted earlier.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/album...review-and-interviews-including-james-gu.html

JG: “I personally would love to do Meddle. It’s one of the better-sounding Pink Floyd albums. I’d also like to do Animals, which is probably one of the worst-sounding Pink Floyd albums. I love it musically, but the drums sound like hatboxes. Wouldn’t it be great to take Animals, put it in the correct spatial environment, and work on the individual sounds? And of course, I’d like to do The Wall, having done it originally.”
I just reread my own post and DAMN if this doesn't just build up the crap outta anticipation!!!!

I’ll point one thing out that people may have overlooked regarding the wall and it’s all I’m going to say about it because this thread is about Animals and not The Bleedin’ Wall so here goes:
Recorded 2x, perhaps this is getting confused with the fact that many of the songs were re-recorded for the film version with things like What Shall We Do Now? Mother (film version) etc etc etc not making the original album and it was supposed to be a triple album originally if my recollection is correct but it was trimmed down to a double because it would be too expensive to produce and sell lots of copies. People’s memories get mixed up in 40 years. That’s my theory and please let’s get back on track with this thread. Thanks.

I want to dig more into JG thinking Animals sounds bad. And what we think he will do to mix it correctly...

Where did you read that JG thinks that the Animals mix sounds bad? First time I hear this. The Animals dry sound has more to do with the then new Britannia Row studio acoustics than the mix. I particularly like the mix and I think it helps the whole concept of the album. I head people complaining about the cd mastering being flat which was corrected in the discovery remaster and I can agree with that but my 1977 Animals UK print has nothing wrong with the sound and I really enjoy the sound and always thought of it superior than the cd version.

Last edited:
Animals is the worst sounding one in my collection too. I have the original UK 1st pressing which is the best sounding copy I've found to date.

The scary tape comments about even the stereo mix masters of the Wall... Maybe they should master a HD stereo release from the Columbia hald speed mastered vinyl (the best sounding copy of that). The HD releases of AHM (quad only so far), DSOTM, & WYWH are the best copies of those like you'd expect. But even these have just a little brightness bump that some might find offensive. First pressing vinyl for everything else. (And that includes OBC even with with the sibilant issue.) One oddball one though. The demo-like version of Embryo sounds best from a (UK I think) prerecorded cassette. Betters the Harvest sampler lp.

If there are some specific vinyl releases that are better than what I have, I'm unaware. I haven't collected literally every release. Expensive. Every last CD edition is a big no. Sadly, the best copy I have of Piper mono is the 2nd CD reissue though. The original vinyl in near mint has become unobtanium. So at present, Animals is in fact the lowest fidelity of the lot. Being a little bit picky. It doesn't just suck.

About 1976 was the start of the dark ages for released music. Vinyl quality took a hit. Didn't come back around until about 2000 with DVDA. Now it turns out the tape quality started being a problem around the same time and that sure sucks. The mastering quality is often the biggest factor regardless of format of course. Even the lowly 16 bit CD shouldn't sound as bad as most do.

Oh, do I need the Japanese pressing? Can anyone comment on that vs. the UK 1st pressing?

Back