Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, anyone claiming that there are no problems with the multitracks because they have info about the original recording venues are unfortunately ill informed. Additionally, no band member is trying to stop The Wall, an unfinished project, due to any objections.
Why the smoke and mirrors?
Why doesn't Pink Floyd management officially announce it's a dead end?
Why keep fans hanging?
They are rich as Croesus, it cannot be about money.
The Wall is one of the most popular albums of the last century, who wouldn't be interested in a surround mix?

Last edited:
spock-illogical-6fca2.jpg

The credits show the album was recorded using 4 different studios. In London, France, NYC and LA. That doesn’t mean the entire album was recorded “at least 2x”. That just means they recorded different parts in different places.

I’ve never heard any stories of the album being recorded more than once. Other than the handful of tracks that were completely re-recorded later for the film.
When I interviewed Bob Ezrin just weeks after THE WALLS release he stated INFACTLY that and you know as well as I do that he was the producer and part writer of said project....so my friend you could be mistaken

What would be awesome with these surround Pink Floyd releases is if there was:

New surround mix by Andy Jackson - approved by David Gilmour
New surround mix by James Guthrie - approved by Roger Waters

... for each BD release. Then Roge and Dave both get their way - and we can then pick and choose which we listen to, when we want to listen to it. Plus, they could charge more and by golly, we'd pay it.

The only argument then might be which mix is listed first. I suggest side-by-side with the one on the right being a smidge higher than the one on the left. There we go, problem solved. Money's in my bank account ready for transfer. What's the hold-up?

No chance of that ever happening.
Now if there is an unreleased Quadraphonic mix of "Animals" in the vaults, then that could be presented alongside James Guthrie's new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray, but there's no way Pink Floyd will ever pay for two different remixes of the same album.

Why keep fans hanging?
The Wall is one of the most popular albums of the last century, who wouldn't be interested in a surround mix?

The band do not owe us any kind of explanation about what they are working on and what they can or cannot release.
It's been said time and time again that there are severe issues with the original tapes that are holding up any kind of remix of "The Wall".
It's not an issue of money or creative control. It's about the state of the original materials.

We're getting a 5.1 release of "Animals" some time this year, and if they can at least release a Blu-Ray version of "The Wall" movie too, then that's good enough for now.

Now if there is an unreleased Quadraphonic mix of "Animals" in the vaults, then that could be presented alongside James Guthrie's new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray, but there's no way Pink Floyd will ever pay for two different remixes of the same album.

I agree 100%...to be candid..most of these bands don't even care about these albums anymore...despite the fact that they were in a large part the reason for them being famous:geek:

The band do not owe us any kind of explanation about what they are working on and what they can or cannot release.
It's been said time and time again that there are severe issues with the original tapes that are holding up any kind of remix of "The Wall".
It's not an issue of money or creative control. It's about the state of the original materials.

We're getting a 5.1 release of "Animals" some time this year, and if they can at least release a Blu-Ray version of "The Wall" movie too, then that's good enough for now.
Well personally I haven't seen anything in print officially by anybody within Pink Floyd management or any band member stating that's the case, just second hand information from forums such as this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As for owing their fans they bloody well do!
No food banks for these guys.

Why keep fans hanging?
There's no smoke and mirrors and they dont owe anyone an explanation or anything else. I don't get the sense of entitlement that some fans display.

There's no smoke and mirrors and they dont owe anyone an explanation or anything else. I don't get the sense of entitlement that some fans display.
The mighty Rontoon speaks, I know you from Yeeshkul. Evidently you have little evidence, I will leave it there.

When I interviewed Bob Ezrin just weeks after THE WALLS release he stated INFACTLY that and you know as well as I do that he was the producer and part writer of said project....so my friend you could be mistaken

Yes I could be mistaken. I’m mistaken at least once a day on average. :)

But even if true, it’s irrelevant to the matter of the condition of the multi-track tapes that were used. Another version of the album existing somewhere is a different topic.

They might be useful for some outtakes for a boxed set version, but wouldn’t get us any closer to a 5.1 of the album that was released in 1979.

I agree with the no smoke and mirrors....but I can guarantee you THE WALL was recorded at least 2 x. People say that you are an expert on all things Pink Floyd, so can you answer this question....."When was the concept of The Wall first discussed and with whom?"

Yep. I’ll take what we can get. Even if it’s sometimes hidden on discs somewhere. ;)

In the case of PF, we’ve been fortunate to get many more MC mixes from them than from most bands.

I would love to have The Wall in surround. But if it’s not to be, then it’s not to be.

But it DOES give us something to talk about until Animals shows up, I suppose. :)

I think he was probably being a bit facetious and having some fun with the state of acrimony that we all know exists between members of the band.

But unreleased Animals quad? :rocks

I love all this spirited discussion:p!
Looking forward to Animals in 5.1 (I'm even thinking of buying all three 5.1 SACDs, just to have a matched set (and I prefer the Quad mixes of DSOTM and WYWH!))

Can they be had in a “matched set”? My WYWH SACD is in the booklet format, but my DSOTM is in a standard jewel case. Is there a booklet sized version of that one too?

Back