Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that it was recorded at least 2x.....also while at college just after THE WALL was released I did an interview with Bob Ezrin about the album and his career up to that point...yes I've had connections over the years

Using any such other tapes would also presume that the two recordings of the album are similar enough to substitute one for the other.

It doesn’t make much sense to me that there would be any reason to record the entire album twice unless the two versions were substantially different.

But hey. It was PF. Anything’s possible I suppose. They very well COULD be identical for all any of us know.

Do you recall if Ezrin (or anyone else) told you why it was recorded twice?

Also, the fact that it was recorded twice in 1979 tells us nothing about the condition of the master tapes 40 years later.

Or Gilmour has objections (hopefully).

I have no input on this..and rontoon is probably most qualified to speak on this...but in general... when you talk about problems with Pink Floyd...Roger Waters is the first name that comes to mind...he's as divisive as it gets IMO

Using any such other tapes would also presume that the two recordings of the album are similar enough to substitute one for the other.

It doesn’t make much sense to me that there would be any reason to record the entire album twice unless the two versions were substantially different.

But hey. It was PF. Anything’s possible I suppose. They very well COULD be identical for all any of us know.

Do you recall if Ezrin (or anyone else) told you why it was recorded twice?

Also, the fact that it was recorded twice in 1979 tells us nothing about the condition of the master tapes 40 years later.
I wish I could recall EXACTLY what BE said but being so long ago and I've since misplaced my cassette tape that was done at Nimbus 9 Studios at the time (Bob Ezrin's Studio) I can't. Wish I still had it ☹️

I have no input on this..and rontoon is probably most qualified to speak on this...but in general... when you talk about problems with Pink Floyd...Roger Waters is the first name that comes to mind...he's as divisive as it gets IMO
Very true.

But it has been my understanding (other, bigger PF fans here can probably answer this better than I) that Guthrie comes from Camp Waters. So my presumption would be that Waters would be more likely to approve of his mixes and Gilmour be the dissenter.

But again, it’s PF. Anything’s possible it seems.

That phrase originated in Australia...did you ever live there?...I see your location is the UK now...just curious...for us Yanks I sometimes have to use a search engine to understand things on here:D
No, but somehow it found it's way to Yorkshire:)
And if that confuses you this will too

Last edited:
No, but somehow it found it's way to Yorkshire:)

Two of my band mates—one is an Irishman and the other an Aussie—both know all the same phrases and colloquialisms. I’ve always found that odd considering they come from opposite ends of the earth, but apparently the influence of the UK runs pretty strong!

Two of my band mates—one is an Irishman and the other an Aussie—both know all the same phrases and colloquialisms. I’ve always found that odd considering they come from opposite ends of the earth, but apparently the influence of the UK runs pretty strong!
Well you have to remember most Aussie's are Brits if you see what I mean :)

Very true.

But it has been my understanding (other, bigger PF fans here can probably answer this better than I) that Guthrie comes from Camp Waters. So my presumption would be that Waters would be more likely to approve of his mixes and Gilmour be the dissenter.

But again, it’s PF. Anything’s possible it seems.

Ya know...it's amazing that some of these high profile bands lasted as long as they did....you have Fleetwood Mac...the ultimate "drama queens" of rock...band members sleeping with various band members...and when you consider how much time they have spent with each other on tours its understandable when they break up...most fans don't realize that being in a high profile band doesn't mean just showing up when the show starts and going home afterwards....I watched a Dan Rather interview with Geddy Lee of Rush.. listening to what he had to say about the band explained why they had been able to say together so long...one thing that has caused a lot of problems in bands is how the money is allocated within the band...Geddy said they sat down and decided that all 3 would share the profits equally regardless of who wrote the song and what level of involvement each member had...the other point is that they were friends...not just band members...that's something that rarely happens..in most bands you are just members...not friends

Ya know...it's amazing that some of these high profile bands lasted as long as they did....you have Fleetwood Mac...the ultimate "drama queens" of rock...band members sleeping with various band members...and when you consider how much time they have spent with each other on tours its understandable when they break up...most fans don't realize that being in a high profile band doesn't mean just showing up when the show starts and going home afterwards....I watched a Dan Rather interview with Geddy Lee of Rush.. listening to what he had to say about the band explained why they had been able to say together so long...one thing that has caused a lot of problems in bands is how the money is allocated within the band...Geddy said they sat down and decided that all 3 would share the profits equally regardless of who wrote the song and what level of involvement each member had...the other point is that they were friends...not just band members...that's something that rarely happens..in most bands you are just members...not friends
I think fear is the motivating factor for all of us personally.

Every band will have their own dynamics for sure.

And arguing over money has been the downfall of all sorts of personal and business relationships

I’ve always likened being in a band to being in a polygamist, (hopefully) plantonic marriage. It’s business, it’s friendship, it’s creating art. So many more things that can go wrong than go right, for sure. (Add romantic involvement? Ey yi yi!)

Having led bands, I approach them being successful the same way I have my marriage—the important thing is keeping everyone on the same page working towards the same common goals. Lose that with a member, and that person will eventually leave.

My presumption with FM was that Fleetwood was good at keeping everyone’s Eye on the Prize, so to speak. Who was there to keep Waters and Gilmour in line once each had enough money and success that they were no longer primary motivating factors they held in common?

Last edited:
Good conversation. Having been "the guy that runs the soundboard" and sometimes fill-in guitar player and all around roadie in a club band, I've seen guys voted out of bands for all sorts of reasons.
When things are good, they're good. When they're not the heads sometimes roll-even among good friends.
That's just the way it is. I knew it wasn't a career I wanted because frankly the life style sucked to me. I quit and instead became the go-to guy to call for temp gigs when marriages, jail, or babies happen.

Good conversation. Having been "the guy that runs the soundboard" and sometimes fill-in guitar player and all around roadie in a club band, I've seen guys voted out of bands for all sorts of reasons.
When things are good, they're good. When they're not the heads sometimes roll-even among good friends.
That's just the way it is. I knew it wasn't a career I wanted because frankly the life style sucked to me. I quit and instead became the go-to guy to call for temp gigs when marriages, jail, or babies happen.
So true!

Seems that whenever things aren’t going well, bands always start looking for that “quick fix” which is often is to replace what they feel is the weak link in the lineup—whether for personal or musical reasons.

I’ve been in bands that did that only to regret it down the road. Often what gets blamed isn’t the root of the problem.

And it happens at all levels. I was just reading a bio on the band Foreigner and was reading how they pushed out founding members Ian McDonald and Al Greenwood following some band dissent over direction after their third album sold “only” 3 million copies instead of the 5 million the first two albums had sold.

Someone must be blamed! Lol

Last edited:
IMHO, anyone claiming that there are no problems with the multitracks because they have info about the original recording venues are unfortunately ill informed. Additionally, no band member is trying to stop The Wall, an unfinished project, due to any objections.

All I know is that it was recorded at least 2x.....

The credits show the album was recorded using 4 different studios. In London, France, NYC and LA. That doesn’t mean the entire album was recorded “at least 2x”. That just means they recorded different parts in different places.

I’ve never heard any stories of the album being recorded more than once. Other than the handful of tracks that were completely re-recorded later for the film.

What would be awesome with these surround Pink Floyd releases is if there was:

New surround mix by Andy Jackson - approved by David Gilmour
New surround mix by James Guthrie - approved by Roger Waters

... for each BD release. Then Roge and Dave both get their way - and we can then pick and choose which we listen to, when we want to listen to it. Plus, they could charge more and by golly, we'd pay it.

The only argument then might be which mix is listed first. I suggest side-by-side with the one on the right being a smidge higher than the one on the left. There we go, problem solved. Money's in my bank account ready for transfer. What's the hold-up?

What would be awesome with these surround Pink Floyd releases is if there was:

New surround mix by Andy Jackson - approved by David Gilmour
New surround mix by James Guthrie - approved by Roger Waters

... for each BD release. Then Roge and Dave both get their way - and we can then pick and choose which we listen to, when we want to listen to it. Plus, they could charge more and by golly, we'd pay it.
I would prefer this to marbles. :)
Considering the bluray for DSOTM literally has 2 surround mixes by two different engineers, this isn't that wild a stretch.
(I mean, one of those is the historical original and of course it's a stretch but still.)

The only argument then might be which mix is listed first...
Oh for...
Sadly, I think you nailed it there.

Back