Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since quicksrt posted about the Tampa '77 PF concert more and more comes back to me about just which of my friends were there, the songs, the very good (after the music started; before a lot of good natured cup fights!) crowd, the wide open lane down the middle of the field so people didn't have to crawl over each other, the screen set up on the left (looking at the stage) showing the animations, my girlfriend being bitchy and getting a HUGE frisbee up side her head from seeming nowhere, the flying pig (some other ballon as well, don't remember what right now).
Yeah, hell yes that was a great concert. That was what, over 40 years ago? My gosh I was not a kid at 26/27 but looking back.....to be that young again, huh?

Ever since quicksrt posted about the Tampa '77 PF concert more and more comes back to me about just which of my friends were there, the songs, the very good (after the music started; before a lot of good natured cup fights!) crowd, the wide open lane down the middle of the field so people didn't have to crawl over each other, the screen set up on the left (looking at the stage) showing the animations, my girlfriend being bitchy and getting a HUGE frisbee up side her head from seeming nowhere, the flying pig (some other ballon as well, don't remember what right now).
Yeah, hell yes that was a great concert. That was what, over 40 years ago? My gosh I was not a kid at 26/27 but looking back.....to be that young again, huh?

Did you happen to catch the show at Tampa Stadium ten years later?

Did you happen to catch the show at Tampa Stadium ten years later?
No....I think the next time I went to the stadium was the ill-fated Led Zeppelin concert. It started raining, and no one-including the stadium authority- new knew that Zep had booked to the airport, got on their private jet and took off.
Eventually the cops came out in riot gear and beat some heads. My bud and I got out of there as the cops were assembling a perimeter around the stadium, inside the fencing. By the time we hit I4 to boogie back to Lakeland, we heard on the radio about the huge scuffle on the field. We were so happy we left when we did! BTW on the way to the car we picked up oodles of tickets people had thrown down. We cashed in as many as we could so we at least paid for our tickets and gas.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, by 1987 I was living here in NC Florida, so the only concerts I went to were in Gainesville. (Petty, etc)

The '87 Floyd show was full surround sound and had the absolute best sound I have heard of the 100 or so concerts I have seen/heard. I wish I was there at the '77 show but I was only 11 and hadn't moved to tampabay yet although I did have family here and I was in Ft. Lauderdale.

Around the same time both Roger Waters and David Gilmour played Lakeland Civic Center...

Saw a few concerts at the LCC. Starship, Sea Level, CDB, Springsteen I think.... Saw more at the old Rock Superbowl series at the old Tangerine Bowl in Orlando....seems like Seger was at all 12 but that's probably not right. UFO and a bunch more I can't remember right now.
Many concerts at the Bayfront in St. Pete, Curtis Hixon in Tampa...BB King, Spirit, Spirit again with the Staehely Bros (no Randy California), Bob Seger with Tegarden Teagarden and Van Winkle (only had Ramblin' Gamblin' Man as a hit at that time)
Central Florida never lacked for touring acts, for sure. Locals like The Outlaws still played clubs, was a great time back in the 70's in Tampa area.

I only saw Pink Floyd live the one time. But I had went through several Quad DSOTM tapes by then and that set me up for that concert. lol.

Last edited:
Never heard that the project was completed either. Far from it, in fact.

It has not been completed. A friend of mine who is good friends with James Guthrie tells me there are major issues with the multi-tracks. I remain hopeful we will see a 5.1 of The Wall someday, but I’m not optimistic.

Sounds bad. Where were they kept? Obviously not here.

I really have no details. I’ve never met Mr Guthrie. I have a good friend who manages a racetrack where Guthrie runs and they’ve become friends (he told me about hearing WYWH in surround at Guthrie’s Lake Tahoe studio before it was released) and I bug him from time to time to try and get an update. All I’ve heard is they are still trying to salvage the tapes by baking them and such. That so much time has gone by doesn’t seem like good news to me.

I really have no details. I’ve never met Mr Guthrie. I have a good friend who manages a racetrack where Guthrie runs and they’ve become friends (he told me about hearing WYWH in surround at Guthrie’s Lake Tahoe studio before it was released) and I bug him from time to time to try and get an update. All I’ve heard is they are still trying to salvage the tapes by baking them and such. That so much time has gone by doesn’t seem like good news to me.
Or Gilmour has objections (hopefully).

From my understanding and all my knowledge of the band and related connections....(sorry no name dropping here) the album was recorded at least 2x over once in France and again in Los Angeles....so I'm pretty sure the tapes are fine....

Nuff said

Or Gilmour has objections (hopefully).
There’s always that factor with PF.

But last I heard they hadn’t even done much mixing yet. I suppose the good news is that they haven’t yet completely given up (that I’ve yet heard, anyway). So he must still believe it is possible.

The other factor is that surround mixes are not a priority and work on the project constantly gets pushed back to favor other concerns.

From my understanding and all my knowledge of the band and related connections....(sorry no name dropping here) the album was recorded at least 2x over once in France and again in Los Angeles....so I'm pretty sure the tapes are fine....

Nuff said
What does that mean, “recorded at least 2x over once in France and again in Los Angeles”?

There’s always that factor with PF.

But last I heard they hadn’t even done much mixing yet. I suppose the good news is that they haven’t yet completely given up (that I’ve yet heard, anyway). So he must still believe it is possible.

The other factor is that surround mixes are not a priority and work on the project constantly gets pushed back to favor other concerns.
I would imagine getting The Wall to please all involved would take years, however I still believe they can pull it off. It's too important to ignore.

What does that mean, “recorded at least 2x over once in France and again in Los Angeles”?
It means that when they were trying to avoid paying an absurd amount of taxes in the UK they first recorded THE WALL in France and did it again in Los Angeles at Producers Workshop where my sister was working at the time.

I would imagine getting The Wall to please all involved would take years, however I still believe they can pull it off. It's too important to ignore.

I agree. But boy, doesn’t that whole PF thing seem like just an unnecessary mess?

The apparent last-second pulling of the 5.1 mix Meddle doesn’t argue favorably for either agreement or importance. That’s a fine mix. What reason could there have been to not approve it?

I also wonder if the often-noted less-than-aggressive results of the Guthrie mixes isn’t at least in part due to the needs to have to appease everyone?

But yes. Like everyone else here, I’m remaining optimistic :)

Didn't Roger threaten to scrap the project during the production? Hardly ever been best buds have they.

It means that when they were trying to avoid paying an absurd amount of taxes in the UK they first recorded THE WALL in France and did it again in Los Angeles at Producers Workshop where my sister was working at the time.

If you’re saying there’s another version of the album that exists that wasn’t the multi-tracks ultimately used for the release, I suppose that’s possible. And if the condition is good, I suppose they could used in place of any multis that may be unsalvagable. Sort of like what Wilson did with Tull’s Too Old To Rock n Roll. But I’ve certainly never heard of any other such tapes or plans to do any such thing

Not that I would be the one to ask, of course.

Back