HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Doobie Brothers - QUADIO

• Total voters
I don't believe that there is a problem with the plastic inner sleeves, they help to prevent scratches! I've used plastic or plastic lined inner sleeves on my LP's for forty years without any problems!
I was thinking the same thing related to vinyl, which I also do. But the optical properties of bluray discs makes them more sensitive to effects of the clarity of disc. Vinyl is different in this regard.
FWIW, MFSL started going with what they called 'rice paper sleeves' instead of the clear plastic sleeves. They were made of something different than the clear plastic ones. (..a Japanese invention)
Overall, I don't know if it really matters either..... & the sleeves do stop Scratches.
But the discs just sitting in the cardboard inserts alone, are hardly going to get alot of surface markings.

Last edited:
I don't believe that there is a problem with the plastic inner sleeves, they help to prevent scratches! I've used plastic or plastic lined inner sleeves on my LP's for forty years without any problems!
It's a real thing. There's threads on SHF about it.

Ok I hate this
All my Quadio blurays have visible swirls across the discs. They are easily wiped off. The swirls appear to match the folds of the plastic inner liners.
So I have put the discs in the cardboard holders without the plastic.

I wish @ForagingRhino could comment on this.

Do I need to check my Chicago Quadios for this?
Or any blurays that came in these liners?

Are there any plastic liners safe for blurays and CDs?

Maybe we should go back to records....

I had no idea about this. I was very happy putting the CDs on the plastic bags the same way we did years ago with the vinyls.

I also had the 4 Doobie Brothers Quadio discs with swirls across the discs. Cleaned them and remove the plastic bags.

I also removed the plastic bag from Blu-ray of Machine Head. This BD, I guess because it's recent, had no swirls or stains.

Ok I checked my Chicago Quadio discs. I've had the set since it first issued
Checked 5 of the discs no swirls or patterns
No time to play them at the moment but assume no problem

This may be a problem confined to the Doobies Quadios and particular to the manufacturer of those plastic liners.
Only Rhino can answer that.
And the swirls may not mean anything ie may not degrade the discs. But why take a chance.

There was another thread here about what brand of plastic liners are safe to use.

I remember reading somewhere (SDE?) that the plastic sleeves actually help protect the blu-ray.
IIRC, it was noted that the CD’s in the box did not have plastic sleeves, but the blu-ray did for that reason.
Maybe @PaulatSDE can weigh in on this topic?
Now I am nervous 😬
I found that in the Doobies quadio the liners were causing the discs to have a marble effect, I ditched the liners, cleaned the discs and no more problems. The stange thing is i’ve used the liners on other discs without problems, I think it’s being inside the cardboard cover that makes it sweat

Since the Japanese have been placing all or most of their CDs/SACDs in those poly liners for EONS, I would put the blame on humidity rather than the ill effects of those liners!

I have been utilizing a dehumidifer for years and have noticed no side effects by placing my 5" discs in plastic liners!

Not to mention, high humidity levels can affect the performance of ALL your components, as well.

Since the Japanese have been placing all or most of their CDs/SACDs in those poly liners for EONS, I would put the blame on humidity rather than the ill effects of those liners!

I have been utilizing a dehumidifer for years and have noticed no side effects by placing my 5" discs in plastic liners!

Not to mention, high humidity levels can affect the performance of ALL your components, as well.
The Japanese are generally using a rice paper material and NOT poly plastics.

There is for sure a problem with certain plastics and their reaction of being in contact or near other plastics.

It's been studied for 30 years, and the sadness of seeing a foggy LP / CD or a oxidized disc is heartbreaking.

CDs that are not opened (still sealed) are at a high risk of the gasses doing all kinds of damage regardless of the poly plastic. The glue in box sets holding the tray in the book style pack also gives off gases and destroys CDs.

I have some ruined discs if you like to see pictures, I can post them.

The Japanese are generally using a rice paper material and NOT poly plastics.

There is for sure a problem with certain plastics and their reaction of being in contact or near other plastics.

It's been studied for 30 years, and the sadness of seeing a foggy LP / CD or a oxidized disc is heartbreaking.

CDs that are not opened (still sealed) are at a high risk of the gasses doing all kinds of damage regardless of the poly plastic. The glue in box sets holding the tray in the book style pack also gives off gases and destroys CDs.

I have some ruined discs if you like to see pictures, I can post them.
@quicksrt ... Can you post some pics of ruins discs when you're able to. I'd like to see them. Thanks!

@quicksrt ... Can you post some pics of ruins discs when you're able to. I'd like to see them. Thanks!
IMG_1936.JPGIMG_1931.jpgIMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1932.jpg

This was caused by the glue holding the tray into the book style case of the 4CD set. Yes, the glue on the other side of the plastic tray is strong enough at omitting fumes that it got to the discs on the other side of the tray. How do I know it was the glue? Because some of the discs have a faint polka dot pattern on them matching the glue dropped onto the book in same pattern.

I also have a Muddy Waters 3CD Chess box set that was fogged up from the big (thin) plastic tray that sits inside the 12' X 12" box from the late 80s. Both of these were left sealed and not opened for many years - which would have helped air out the toxic fumes. Then I have some single discs from the BMG club that were opened once and played and not touched again for 25 years, and they have a crystalized look like salt crystals forming on surface that does not wash off.

Last edited:
I think I tossed out the "crystalized" oxidized discs, in an effort to get them far away from my other good CDs.

View attachment 106040View attachment 106041View attachment 106042
View attachment 106043

This was caused by the glue holding the tray into the book style case of the 4CD set. Yes, the glue on the other side of the plastic tray is strong enough at omitting fumes that it got to the discs on the other side of the tray. How do I know it was the glue? Because some of the discs have a faint polka dot pattern on them matching the glue dropped onto the book in same pattern.

I also have a Muddy Waters 3CD Chess box set that was fogged up from the big (thin) plastic tray that sits inside the 12' X 12" box from the late 80s. Both of these were left sealed and not opened for many years - which would have helped air out the toxic fumes. Then I have some single discs from the BMG club that were opened once and played and not touched again for 25 years, and they have a crystalized look like salt crystals forming on surface that does not wash off.
Wow, that's terrible! If you have that, think how many others do also...... & maybe do or don't even know!
I'd hope the record companies would be aware of this! I'm going to look thru some of my stuff because of this.
Thanks quicksrt for taking the time putting this on here.

[I think I tossed out the "crystalized" oxidized discs, in an effort to get them far away from my other good CDs.]
Instead, Send them back to the Record Co. who made them!😠

Wow, that's terrible! (edit)
[I think I tossed out the "crystalized" oxidized discs, in an effort to get them far away from my other good CDs.]
Instead, Send them back to the Record Co. who made them!😠
Indeed, but the issue is the two different types of plastic interacting with each other. So had the cases been opened to air them out, or the discs placed into a different type of case, odds are no issues. So the label might not know about the issue if everyone who bought them opened them up and played them a bit over the years - until the glue lost it's strong fumes.

Also, when it starts it begins by being very surface-ish, and foggy haze can be washed off with soap. Then as the years roll on it digs in deeper and cannot be washed off.

Back