Hello from near Chicago, IL!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdheer

QQ Supporter
Hi! Just found this forum thanks to a mention by someone on AVSForum. I have only recently started dabbling in multichannel audio, and it almost started accidentally: I got a Sony UHD player that also supports SACD and DVD-A, so I tracked down a 5.1 SACD of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and that was that.

I look forward to digging into the technical stuff in particular, as I would like to really elevate my multichannel audio game. :)

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

--Chris

Ahoy & welcome aboard, Chris!
Pink Floyd has lead many of us down the path to surround. It would be interesting to hear what faves you have that you discovered since. Oh, and there's a nifty place in your profile to list your gear set up if you want.

My wife is from Chicago & it's the only town besides my own that I've visited enough to sort of know my way around. But my point of reference is always Buckingham Fountain....

Hi! Just found this forum thanks to a mention by someone on AVSForum. I have only recently started dabbling in multichannel audio, and it almost started accidentally: I got a Sony UHD player that also supports SACD and DVD-A, so I tracked down a 5.1 SACD of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and that was that.

I look forward to digging into the technical stuff in particular, as I would like to really elevate my multichannel audio game. :)

--Chris
Welcome to our humble cult! It seems like Pink Floyd is most people's gateway drug into surround. Happy to have you here! Just don't forget to attend the weekly congregations where we expose the wrongdoings of mixing engineers who don't have common sense!

--Chris
Howdy! I'm deep downstate.

Hi Chris. I was the one from AVS who referred you here. Glad to see you made it. Welcome! Check out the surround polls to see the highly-ranked releases. Click on an album in the poll and it'll take you to the review thread for that album.

Have fun- great community here!
Thank you for the referral! I'm still at the I-don't-know-what-I-don't-know stage, but even on my low-end system, MCH sounds so amazing.
I'm happy for your head and sorry for your wallet. Welcome to QQ!
Thanks! My wallet is sadly used to me finding new and expensive hobbies. ;) I've already warned it that someday I'm gonna find a copy of the Farewell to Kings set that includes the BD 5.1 mix.

It's gone into hiding.
Ahoy & welcome aboard, Chris!
Pink Floyd has lead many of us down the path to surround. It would be interesting to hear what faves you have that you discovered since. Oh, and there's a nifty place in your profile to list your gear set up if you want.

My wife is from Chicago & it's the only town besides my own that I've visited enough to sort of know my way around. But my point of reference is always Buckingham Fountain....
My collection, so far, is tiny, and at the moment, everything is packed up as we're renovating. Wish You Were Here is the standout SACD I have, although Dark Side of the Moon is awesome too. I got Rush's Hemispheres, but that's not MCH. I have 2112 sitting in a box, waiting for me to set everything back up. A couple others as well, though I cannot remember them offhand.

I plan on expanding a lot.

As for the city, embarrassingly I don't know it all that well. The Loop, yeah, but the rest not so much; I've always lived in the suburbs. Well, and I've gone to my share of Cub games, of course.

As for my gear, well, it's a bit cheap; I'd like to do some upgrades, but I've got a lot of learning to do first.
Welcome to our humble cult! It seems like Pink Floyd is most people's gateway drug into surround. Happy to have you here! Just don't forget to attend the weekly congregations where we expose the wrongdoings of mixing engineers who don't have common sense!
Interesting that Pink Floyd is a common gateway drug! Of course, it's a pretty good gateway drug for other things, too.

I will certainly enjoy reading threads about various mixes, but as with everything else surrounding (see what I did?) this topic, I've got a lot to learn before it means much to me.

Thank you to everyone for the spectacularly warm welcome!

As for my gear, well, it's a bit cheap; I'd like to do some upgrades, but I've got a lot of learning to do first.
Hi Chris, Welcome to QQ!
Wow, we got more Chicago area folks here than I knew.
I was born and raised on the west side for 60 some years.
My fav hangout was the 6 Flags roller coaster park.
But got tired of the winters and moved to Fl in 2008.
Hang on tight to your wallet, this can be a bumpy road.
But in the end you'll be happy with every penny spent.
I guarantee. ;)

I look forward to digging into the technical stuff in particular, as I would like to really elevate my multichannel audio game
If your serious about digging into the tech side, be sure to also stop by Audio Science Review. We measure a lot of multich gear over there and separate the snake-oil from the honest equipment manufacturers. Here's a couple links to a few of our latest threats on gear to give you an idea what goes on over there.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...marantz-sr8015-review-home-theater-avr.24005/https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...h-many-center-channel-speakers-by-erin.30716/

My collection, so far, is tiny, and at the moment, everything is packed up as we're renovating. Wish You Were Here is the standout SACD I have, although Dark Side of the Moon is awesome too. I got Rush's Hemispheres, but that's not MCH. I have 2112 sitting in a box, waiting for me to set everything back up. A couple others as well, though I cannot remember them offhand.

Interesting that Pink Floyd is a common gateway drug! Of course, it's a pretty good gateway drug for other things, too.

If you haven't already got it, and you have a means to play it, the Quad Alan Parsons mix of Dark Side of the Moon will deepen your addiction considerably.

Back