Kansas "The Absence of Presence" CD+5.1 Blu-Ray coming 6/26/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does not sound like a balanced mix: rears are too low ... maybe that's what happens in a NON MCH DEDICATED ROOM with people who are not surround mixing engineers...

Also...maybe Ray Shulman is cheaper but his QC is crap...I can't select ANY OTHER stream except 2.0 in the Main Menu...I have to START the disc and then choose the stream on the fly...tsk, tsk... VERY SLOPPY, RAY!!!!!

Call me spoiled, and I am...I don't want picks nor a cardboard LP sized sheet of the art -which of course is going to be BENT by the postpeople- (yes, that's what I got)..
I just want a GOOD MCH MIX!

Oh , well... at least they bothered...

This,

From amazon, (USA)

Editorial Reviews
CD + Blu-ray (w/ 5.1 surround mix), 6 panels, 16pg booklet With a legendary career spanning nearly five decades, KANSAS has firmly established itself as one of America’s iconic classic rock bands. This "garage band" from Topeka released their debut album in 1974 after being discovered by Wally Gold, who worked for Don Kirshner, and have gone on to sell more than 30 million albums worldwide. The band is currently comprised of original drummer Phil Ehart, bassist/vocalist Billy Greer, vocalist/keyboardist Ronnie Platt, violinist/guitarist David Ragsdale, keyboardist/vocalist Tom Brislin, guitarist Zak Rizvi, and original guitarist Richard Williams. With no signs of slowing down, KANSAS continues to perform in front of large and enthusiastic audiences around the world.The summer of 2020 marks the release of “The Absence of Presence,” KANSAS’s sixteenth studio album. The wide-ranging progressive rock album, released by InsideOut Music, follows-up 2016’s “The Prelude Implicit,” which debuted at #14 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart.

Same as mine, got it in my hands now.

Paid - $11.88

Regards,

I was just wondering if the reason the folks across the Pond are paying more for this title is due to some sort of licensing duties for the E.U.; isn't Britain still in the E.U.? It would be interesting to know what a non-E.U. European country is charging for this and any difference from an E.U. county?

Last edited:
I was just wondering if the reason the folks across the Pond are paying more for this title is due to some sort of licensing duties for the E.U.; isn't Britain still in the E.U.? It would be interesting to know what a non-U.E. European country is charging for this and any difference from an E.U. county?
Out of curiosity (again!) I went to the InsideOut website, and I only had the option for the Artbook (which I already have via the 'Shed) no CD/BD combo, so the record company website must have identified my IP address as UK and given me only those options. So curious as to why, probably down to some nebulous marketing.

As for the UK being in the EU we're officially not, but in a transition period until 31st Dec. After this time we'll end up as either, the 53rd state of the USA if you listen to some over here, rebuild our empire if you listen to others, re-join the EU going by some voices, sell out to the highest bidder, breakup into ever more insignificant mini-countries, or simply just fade away. Whatever happens the really import thing is..... I will still need to be able to buy good music in surround! :LOL:

As for the UK being in the EU we're officially not, but in a transition period until 31st Dec. After this time we'll end up as either, the 53rd state of the USA if you listen to some over here, rebuild our empire if you listen to others, re-join the EU going by some voices, sell out to the highest bidder, breakup into ever more insignificant mini-countries, or simply just fade away. Whatever happens the really import thing is..... I will still need to be able to buy good music in surround! :LOL:
Sorry for a Yank's ignorance, but does that mean you currently have different market import rules "now" than the E.U.? And perhaps you'd need to back date any deals made for imports or would that be relevant until actual entry :unsure: (almost sounds sexual in nature!)
Crap, you'd think I'm bored or something, but this kind of stuff just interests me :geek:

Sorry for a Yank's ignorance, but does that mean you currently have different market import rules "now" than the E.U.? And perhaps you'd need to back date any deals made for imports or would that be relevant until actual entry :unsure: (almost sounds sexual in nature!)
Crap, you'd think I'm bored or something, but this kind of stuff just interests me :geek:
No everything stays the same until 1st Jan '21, then we'll probably get screwed for import duty on music we buy from anywhere in the EU whereas currently it's only on non-EU imports over £15

i appreciate all of the candid feedback about this release; it sounds as if i will be disappointed, so i cancelled my order--i have enough front-centric mixes already, thank you very much! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

And then kick thyself in the can when Discogs has it listed for $100 + $25 s/h fees from HUNGARY?

i appreciate all of the candid feedback about this release; it sounds as if i will be disappointed, so i cancelled my order--i have enough front-centric mixes already, thank you very much! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
I'm floored you'd feel this way Clement, I believe more reviews are needed for a more wide spread consensus, before we bury this. Besides, one can always tweak some of these mixes on a DAW to flesh it out, so to speak.

I understand if you're not a huge Kansas fan, but actually for a little more, our bud @fredblue may have the last laugh (he's no dummy ya know); as the Limited Deluxe (with Book) may be the best option. You can buy that one, if you really don't like it enough, wait a few years and you could potentially sell it for more than it cost you.
It's just a good idea to support this surround hobby of ours to keep the titles coming.
I'm floored you'd feel this way Clement, I believe more reviews are needed for a more wide spread consensus, before we bury this. Besides, one can always tweak some of these mixes on a DAW to flesh it out, so to speak.

i was being kind.. there's no tweaking this one, the mix is shit.

i have unwavering faith in all things @fredblue (except when i don't!) . . . plus, @4-earredwonder has me watching my negative cash flow. i did listen to the release on amazon music this morning, and i enjoy the music--i will play that stream through Neural X.

i have unwavering faith in all things @fredblue (except when i don't!) . . . plus, @4-earredwonder has me watching my negative cash flow. i did listen to the release on amazon music this morning, and i enjoy the music--i will play that stream through Neural X.

trussssssssssst in meeeeeeeeeeeee
jusssssssssssst in meeeeeeeeeeeee
close your eyesssssssssssss
and
trussssssssssssst in meeeeeeeeeeeee

🐍

(i feel fairly confident you'll get more surround-y results running the Stereo through some upmixing process)

I second that, Pupster. And for the asking price of under $12 ...... for a bona fide HI RES Remix .... roughly the price of a few small packets of Miss Charlotte's preferred cat treats!

See the source image

Last edited:
I second that, Pupster. And for the asking price of under $12 ...... for a bona fide HI RES Remix .... roughly the price of a few small packets of Miss Charlotte's preferred cat treats!

the album is great, the mix is mediocre at best.

heaven forbid they mix one of their Classic albums in similar fashion.

Last edited:
I don't have this release, and I'm not planning on getting it, so I need to know from all of you who have this release and have listened to it so far, is this release worthy of a poll thread for it?

Let me know, please!

:)

Back