Steven Wilson King Crimson in Atmos! ("Larks Tongues" 2CD/2BD set coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little box has days of music to listen to, starting on my journey now.
I usually listen to the extras first before the surrounds, but I think today sometime I'll jump to the ATMOS.
Fun Fact list:
Blu Ray 1:

Atmos=46:51 DR Avg 17.
Remaining of Blu Ray 1= 2.0, 5.1, Elemental and Instrumental Mixes
Totals 2:31:37 with a avg DR of 13.
Blu Ray 2 (Stereo Only):
Original Mix 1999 46:37 Avg DR 12.
The Session Reels 1:19:16 Avg DR 8
Recording Sessions 9:32:47 69 Tracks Avg DR 12.
CD 1: adds the 3 instrumental mixes 1:05:25 Avg DR 11.
CD 2: has all elemental mixes plus
Exiles-Master Reel Take 4 Backing that is also on BD 2 1/26/73
Book Of Saturday – Master Reel Guide Vocals, Guitar, Violin Overdubs
Book Of Saturday – Master Reel Bass Pass 2, Vocals With Vocal Overdubs
Both these are on BD 2 Note: Booklet says 2/1/1973 but should be 2/1/1974.
52:58 Avg DR 11. The two CD's have nothing that is not on the 2 Blu Rays.
Total Listening Time:
Excluding 2 CD's.
15:43:56- 102 Tracks- 31.6GB

Last edited:
15:43:56- 102 Tracks- 31.6GB
I have every Crimson box set focused on the studio albums, but have come nowhere close to listening to all the extras that are included.

I love the value for money we get with Crimson releases, but keeping up with all that music in the midst of other great releases is overwhelming.

I have every Crimson box set focused on the studio albums, but have come nowhere close to listening to all the extras that are included.

I love the value for money we get with Crimson releases, but keeping up with all that music in the midst of other great releases is overwhelming.
Same here!

Just really happy to support this kind of effort with releases too! This is how you release box sets!

I am totally with you, to listen to 100 versions of the same song, there is no time. Maybe if I was going to college taking the King Crimson, Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull classes, I could do it.
:SG

I am totally with you, to listen to 100 versions of the same song, there is no time. Maybe if I was going to college taking the King Crimson, Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull classes, I could do it.
:SG
And I’d sign up for a summer session of Grateful Dead in addition to those three.

A shame college wasn’t (officially) more like that. I might have actually finished a 4-year degree.

Blu Ray 1:
Atmos=46:51 DR Avg 17.
Remaining of Blu Ray 1= 2.0, 5.1, Elemental and Instrumental Mixes
Thanks very much for all this info. I'm amazed by the total time!

What is the DR of the new 5.1 mix?

Is the new 5.1 basically the same as the Atmos except adjusted for the fewer speakers?

If the new 5.1 doesn't have the same very high DR of the Atmos, is there a reason why and do the two sound different in regard to dynamics?

My copy is somewhere between the UK and Australia, and I'm not likely to get it until next week. So for now all I can do is to ask about it, being envious of those who are already listening.

Is the new 5.1 basically the same as the Atmos except adjusted for the fewer speakers?

If the new 5.1 doesn't have the same very high DR of the Atmos, is there a reason why and do the two sound different in regard to dynamics?

My copy is somewhere between the UK and Australia, and I'm not likely to get it until next week. So for now all I can do is to ask about it, being envious of those who are already listening.
I just ran it for the 5.1 mix and it came out to 14. I can't tell you why. I have a theory, but I'm sure there is someone here who knows more than I do.

Thanks for letting me know about the great dynamics of the 5.1
I really look forward to listening to this.

My GUESS for the higher DR for the Atmos is that this is an artifact of some speakers being silent or very quiet for some of the time, and then high volume when that position is a feature.

It would be interesting to compare the DR of just the left and right front speakers for a stereo, 5.1 and Atmos release. My GUESS is that just the front left and right of the 5.1 and Atmos would have the same DR.

I would also love to hear from someone who knows more.

PS - I think it is fairly common for the stereo mix to have lower DR than the surround mix. And I say this from what my ears tell me.

You can't really measure DR for surround mixes in a reliable way. The best approach is to select the front channels only and calculate the DR. I've found this method to be good because drums and bass are generally in the fronts, so it will give you a good understanding of the dynamics.

I remember calculating the DR values of many surround releases that were heavily compressed (Radiohead, From the Basement), but the results were not reliable. Measuring the fronts only gave me accurate results. Another way could be to downmix to stereo and measure the DR.

Try using MMH’s Channel Volume tool to measure DR on surround releases as it ignore silent channels with spikes (I.e some Quad and 5.0 SACD rips) and channels that are abnormally low level (they can’t be heard at normal volume levels, affectively silent but are still measured by other tools). These two MMH ‘filters’ correct DR reading errors made by Foobar2000.

Try using MMH’s Channel Volume tool to measure DR on surround releases as it ignore silent channels with spikes (I.e some Quad and 5.0 SACD rips) and channels that are abnormally low level (they can’t be heard at normal volume levels, affectively silent but are still measured by other tools). These two MMH ‘filters’ correct DR reading errors made by Foobar2000.
The DR meter in MMH is better than Foobar, but there might still be too many quiet/loud passages in the surround speakers and the centre. I've personally found that measuring the fronts gives a more accurate representation of the dynamics I'm hearing. But I will test MMH with heavily compressed 5.1 concert mixes and report back.

No poll thread yet?

Just listened to the main album in 7.1.4 first.
I'm absolutely floored by what I'm hearing in this mix! This is my new 12 channel demo mix now.

This album pushed at the boundaries of dynamics, fidelity, arrangement, and everything else originally. That has somehow been extended with this mix in every way while serving the original mix aesthetic very faithfully.

I don't think I've ever heard a mix that sounded at this level!

The 5.1 remix he did a few years ago now was obviously stellar work. The revisionism made it more of an addendum for me. The fidelity was obviously on point and at least moments went above and beyond the original. This new mix wipes the floor with the old 5.1. I wouldn't have imagined there was so much content in the lowest dynamic levels either! This mix increases the outrageous dynamics of the original. Not with mix tricks per se but following the original content.

Really happy for everyone on the team that pulled something like this off! This is beyond anything I could have imagined hearing! Perfect score of 100.

Ordered from amazon Spain.
New, with discount, + shipping =37,99 € Delivery on Nov 13th

I hope they don't cancel the order.
Mine arrived on monday! 35€ Amazon.de! Seller is from France. Now much more expensive or not available in the forthcoming future.

Back