New Pineapple Thief box set!!! 8 disc bluray 5.1and Atmos!! How did we find our way!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I ordered this from Burning Shed, who I have come to rely on for UK releases. They ship quickly and package safely. I don’t mind coughing up more dough for the experience.

I have had instances where ImportCDs had my preorders immediately on backorder on release day and feared my orders would not be filled or if they were, got filled by customer returns (ping ponged in the mail systems). I just shy away from them now, but I don’t have really bad experiences from them.

But then 7 CDs as beercoasters might still be a bargain… but no, beer is also very expensive in Scandinavia! only kiddin😂 Come on, this box is incredible value!!
I'm not buying expensive boxes anymore, even if it's good value. I'm retired and have to save my money for beer and booze. :cool:
Hopefully these mixes will be up on Apple Music.

This release is very tempting, but I don’t know any of the albums included. Had a quick look on my Tidal to see if any of these songs are in the top 100 of the artists. Some tracks from One Three Seven, but don’t seem the kind of music I like.

I did enjoy Versions of the Truth and Your Wilderness, but the last live in Atmos is still here on the shelf waiting to be watched.

I have the feeling this box set is loaded or music I wouldn’t listen too often. The fact these are remixed to Atmos might not enough of a push for me. Any ideas on what to listen to among these first albums or Pineapple Thief?

If you have a streaming service you could just make a random playlist off the albums. Apple has them all available. Variations On A Dream has the songs from 8 Days included and 10 Stories Down includes the 8 Days Later songs.

My guess at what to listen to first would probably be to go with the proper albums 10 Stories Down, Variations, and Little Man first. Unless you like the quasi-ambient PT songs you have already heard. If that's the case, I would go with both 8 Days & 8 Days Later which were both originally bonus discs accompanying early orders of Variations & 10 Stories (all cuts were written, recorded & mixed in eight days respectively - hence the title).

You could also give a listen to the re-imaged Give It Back album. It has three tracks from Little Man, two from 10 Stories, and one from 137. However, these re-workings with Gavin Harrison on drums and percussion do make it a somewhat unfair comparison. But if you are strapped for time, I guess it gives you a flavor in one sitting with little playlist creation effort.

I don't think anyone should beat themselves up for not getting this as I think Bruce understands that this is going to be a niche piece. As for the CD's, I agree I will probably only touch them once to burn them into my Itunes Library but it is - what it is. I'll look at it as I am paying about $14 for each of the albums mixed in Atmos & 5.1 DTS.

I still don’t regret preordering this blindly. I was flush at the time of purchase and look forward to it. If I end up not liking the music much, I imagine it will retain its value. I hope to be introduced to some cool music and stellar packaging though. I certainly don’t do this kind of thing, so it is just a fun part of the hobby (gambling) that I never really do.

I still don’t regret preordering this blindly. I was flush at the time of purchase and look forward to it. If I end up not liking the music much, I imagine it will retain its value. I hope to be introduced to some cool music and stellar packaging though. I certainly don’t do this kind of thing, so it is just a fun part of the hobby (gambling) that I never really do.
If you like prog rock with pop sensibilities you will love TPT

I wont play the cd’s either but surely you have to agree 7 albums in atmos for that amount is a bargain?
Ah, not really.
I'm sure for many $100 is a trivial amount, but for others that might not be the case.
To have the BD and its' Atmos files held ransom for 7 CD's I don't want or need is
unacceptable to me. I spend a lot of money on my HiFi and music but living on SSI
I have to draw a line somewhere. Big boxes full of unwanted stuff just happens to be
one of them. YMMV ;)

I don't think anyone should beat themselves up for not getting this as I think Bruce understands that this is going to be a niche piece.
Fair enough, you can't account for taste - but I do find it kind of amusing that a lot of folks here were happy to drop $300 on that recent DSOTM mega-box with just the one album in Atmos, yet this release isn't considered a bargain by some.

It's possible that the individual albums will be released as downloads at some point down the line, probably a few months after the box set comes out.

Ah, not really.
I'm sure for many $100 is a trivial amount, but for others that might not be the case.
To have the BD and its' Atmos files held ransom for 7 CD's I don't want or need is
unacceptable to me. I spend a lot of money on my HiFi and music but living on SSI
I have to draw a line somewhere. Big boxes full of unwanted stuff just happens to be
one of them. YMMV ;)
I agree it isn’t a trivial amount, I am a poor pensioner myself and actually sold my Beatles - Sgt peppers box set to be able to buy this, reason being I would rather have 7 TPT albums in Atmos than one Beatles album with an underwhelming surround mix

I wont play the cd’s either but surely you have to agree 7 albums in atmos for that amount is a bargain?
It is a bargain. TPT and Kscope have always been very generous with putting a lot of content on a blu ray and keeping the price reasonable. 7 albums in hi res stereo, 5.1 and Atmos for €100,00.

...84 tracks, eight hours and twenty four minutes worth of music written and recorded by one of the best and most under-rated song writers in his genre, all mixed impeccably well in surround by one of the best surround engineers in the business, all presented in hi res, Atmos. For £74.99?

And someone *still* complains about the price? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Track listing

This release is very tempting, but I don’t know any of the albums included. Had a quick look on my Tidal to see if any of these songs are in the top 100 of the artists. Some tracks from One Three Seven, but don’t seem the kind of music I like.

I did enjoy Versions of the Truth and Your Wilderness, but the last live in Atmos is still here on the shelf waiting to be watched.

I have the feeling this box set is loaded or music I wouldn’t listen too often. The fact these are remixed to Atmos might not enough of a push for me. Any ideas on what to listen to among these first albums or Pineapple Thief?
All of their albums are on Spotify, and I would suggest giving the compilation album "3000 Days" a listen for two reasons: It's a great cross section of the early albums, and it's been remixed/remastered so is much closer in sound to "How Did We Find Our Way"

If you don't have time to listen to the whole double album I would suggest the following tracks:

Part Zero
Clapham
Kid Chameleon
The World I Always Dreamed of
I Will Light Up Your Eyes
Private Paradise
Snowdrops

...84 tracks, eight hours and twenty four minutes worth of music written and recorded by one of the best and most under-rated song writers in his genre, all mixed impeccably well in surround by one of the best surround engineers in the business, all presented in hi res, Atmos. For £74.99?

And someone *still* complains about the price? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Track listing
Damn right. If your enjoy being extorted into paying for the manufacture and
shipping of 7 CD's you have no use for, enjoy. The labels will keep sticking it to you forever,
and you'll deserve it.

Back