New Pineapple Thief box set!!! 8 disc bluray 5.1and Atmos!! How did we find our way!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...84 tracks, eight hours and twenty four minutes worth of music written and recorded by one of the best and most under-rated song writers in his genre, all mixed impeccably well in surround by one of the best surround engineers in the business, all presented in hi res, Atmos. For £74.99?

And someone *still* complains about the price? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Track listing
Well, here in Norway the price is £120, so a little steeper price here. I have Give It Back and I like it, especially for the new drum tracks, but that will have to be enough old TPT for me. :cool: Musically I like their newer stuff better.

Last edited:
Damn right. If your enjoy being extorted into paying for the manufacture and
shipping of 7 CD's you have no use for, enjoy. The labels will keep sticking it to you forever,
and you'll deserve it.
There is a huge amount of work that went into this. Yes, it could have been one standalone Blu-ray, but the artists still need to make a living. Making a nice packaging with additional CDs and a book makes it so that the customer feels he's getting something for his money and the artist is getting paid. Kscope were among the first to do this (nice packaging instead of plain CD/DVD/Blu-ray case). We're very far from Pink Floyd and Rush territories were you pay two and three times as much for ONE album, not five (or seven depending on how you see it).

After extensively sampling these early TPT albums I'm passing on this box set. While I have massive respect for Bruce Soord as an artist and surround mixing engineer, I simply enjoy the more recent TPT output much more than the early stuff. While technically a good value, especially in comparison to other recent overpriced box sets, I simply wouldn't play these titles often enough (even in Atmos) to justify the purchase - for me.

One other point related to value - the fact that we can have 7+ full albums, each with 5.1 and atmos mixes (8h 24m), included on a single blu-ray illustrates just how stingy and massively underutilized blu-ray releases are from most other artists. The non-essential cds aside, Bruce Soord/TPT has always been generous with blu-ray content.

One other point related to value - the fact that we can have 7+ full albums, each with 5.1 and atmos mixes (8h 24m), included on a single blu-ray illustrates just how stingy and massively underutilized blu-ray releases are from most other artists.
True but we shall see what codec are used for the BD?
Are they LPCM @96k or DD+ at 48?

True but we shall see what codec are used for the BD?
Are they LPCM @96k or DD+ at 48?
The 5.1 mixes I tested were 44.1-khz/24-bit, presumably because that's the resolution at which these albums were recorded. I would assume the same goes for the stereo versions, though the Atmos mixes obviously had to be upsampled to 48k. The Atmos mixes will be definitely presented in Dolby TrueHD, it's kind of silly to suggest otherwise.

The 5.1 mixes I tested were 44.1-khz/24-bit, presumably because that's the resolution at which these albums were recorded. I would assume the same goes for the stereo versions, though the Atmos mixes obviously had to be upsampled to 48k. The Atmos mixes will be definitely presented in Dolby TrueHD, it's kind of silly to suggest otherwise.
I was also wondering about this. Can't believe all that content on a single disc. I'm not familiar with these early records, but I'm in just because I like their later stuff, and also Bruce Soord's surround mixing abilities. I rate him among the best in the business. And so much for a reasonable price!

I was also wondering about this. Can't believe all that content on a single disc. I'm not familiar with these early records, but I'm in just because I like their later stuff, and also Bruce Soord's surround mixing abilities. I rate him among the best in the business. And so much for a reasonable price!
Having helped Bruce test his first Atmos releases, a couple of years ago, I can vouch to the genius of the man, in his musicianship and mixing skills.
Bruce is a genuine bloke to deal with.

I hope your right but so much material on a single BD has me worried.
Time will tell.
I think you're underestimating how much content can fit on one of those discs. A dual-layer BD can supposedly hold up to 50 GB.

The entire How Did We Find Our Way box set (all 84 songs) in 44.1/24 5.1 FLAC takes up just over 12 GB. I'd wager the stereo mixes are maybe half that, something like 5-6 GB if not less. As for the TrueHD/Atmos, the full 18-song Nothing But The Truth album takes up just under 4 GB - so 84 songs would presumably land somewhere between 15 and 20 GB. Add in a little extra for the video (I imagine it's nothing fancy, the Give It Back BD had pretty spartan authoring) and I can't see the entire thing being more than 40 GB.

So is ~40 GB excessive or unusual? I backed up a few of the most content-packed BDs in my collection with MakeMKV to see where they landed:
  • The Pineapple Thief's Where We Stood: 45.9 GB
  • Gentle Giant's Free Hand: 38.1 GB
  • John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth: 36.3 GB

I think you're underestimating how much content can fit on one of those discs. A dual-layer BD can supposedly hold up to 50 GB.
So is ~40 GB excessive or unusual? I backed up a few of the most content-packed BDs in my collection with MakeMKV to see where they landed:
  • The Pineapple Thief's Where We Stood: 45.9 GB
Right, same here.

So what am I missing?
How do you put 7 albums worth of that data on 1 disc?
Maybe my brain is not properly engaged?
As I said, we shall see.

I have a BD test pressing for this and can categorically state that the 5.1 audio is as per the link I posted a few posts ago. That is: it's DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD, and both are 48k.

And every single one of the 84 tracks sounds absolutely superb.

As for the comparison with "Where We Stood" the explanation is really very simple to understand: the 4k Video on it takes up the vast majority of the 45.9GB

I have a BD test pressing for this and can categorically state that the 5.1 audio is as per the link I posted a few posts ago. That is: it's DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD, and both are 48k.

And every single one of the 84 tracks sounds absolutely superb.

As for the comparison with "Where We Stood" the explanation is really very simple to understand: the 4k Video on it takes up the vast majority of the 45.9GB
Good to hear..

Back