Once there was a thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Yesterday I was asked to remove the mention by Thom of his ATMOS mix on Sob Rock by John Mayer. Unfortunately for us all, Thom's mix is no longer featured for that title. I couldn't figure how to edit the thread and still have it make sense so it was removed completely. Sorry for any confusion.

So Mr Mayer is now an expert on how Dolby Atmos should sound.
Having listened to both releases, who is he kidding.
The new release is a million miles away from Thoms fantastic mix.

I wonder who really put the spanner in the works?
The new mix is basically a 5.1 mix,and not a good one either.No reason to listen to it or buy i if it should be released on disc.:confused:

That's horrible news. 'Fixing' a mix to make it more stereo-sounding? Why bother? Just listen to the stereo mix. ThomC is an artist at what he does and it's a damn shame that the recording artist cannot respect his work and not stand up for what was produced instead of caving to a bunch of whining fans with little brains

What is really disturbing is that any mix on a streaming service such as Apple Music can simply 'go away' and never be heard again.
That's horrible news. 'Fixing' a mix to make it more stereo-sounding? Why bother? Just listen to the stereo mix. ThomC is an artist at what he does and it's a damn shame that the recording artist cannot respect his work and not stand up for what was produced instead of caving to a bunch of whining fans with little brains
Agreed. Thom's work has always been really great and some of my fave mixes.

How many here are sick and tired of the term, 'true-to-the-original-mix'? Like Jon said, "Why bother?" I enjoy what SW has done with his MC remixes. The music sounds like the originals, yet the mixes are more interesting and the sound quality and EQ are much improved. Oh, and I'll never complain about an alternate mix being thrown out there as a bonus.

I want to say it's not so much a demand for a "true to the original mix" but more of a "You need to at least not make this sound like amateur work and really obvious that you've never even heard the original yourself - mix". Those are the ones that make you say "Come on, man!" Fidelity paling compared to the stereo version is another show stopper.

Well, now I want to hear the 'secret' mix you're all talking about!

Perhaps someone in the industry was thinking about those card games and collecting the rare cards? (Magic and whatever the new ones are.) Anyway, it sounds like the collectors game just leveled up here! :D

What is really disturbing is that any mix on a streaming service such as Apple Music can simply 'go away' and never be heard again.
it's not disturbing, we all knew that, the only thing that is permanent are physical releases and sometimes having a non artist approved mix is better than none, e.g. Eric Johnson's DVD-A which has never been re-released on MCH with an approved mix.

Back