Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After one spin, not sure what I'll rate this BD in the end. For now, I'll post 9. Though it may change to 10. Showed up Friday evening and had little time to listen since then.

I'm a completist for this band, since '68. Bought this on LP, US CD and Shine On box.

This is a very good album. Still, my tastes run to several other discs as their best albums. Hence, a 9. Likely a somewhat unpopular viewpoint.

The surround mix is good, so 10 for that. I liked Guthrie's Dark Side mix, but prefer Parsons. Could surround Animals have been better? Perhaps, but love it for the great mix that it is. We've waited since '77 for a surround mix.
You know, finally getting the mix and the disc was somewhat anti-climatic for myself.
Yes, I love Animals, and yes I loved the '77 tour where at least in Tampa PF played WYWH & Animals with "Money" as an encore.

But although for a while and from time to time Animals will indeed get play time, I gravitate more to say, MLOR for more frequent listening. Or Gilmour's Pompeii show.
Those aren't popular with everyone, but other's opinions on music barely sway, if at all, what I prefer to listen to.
Time changes us and we move on to encompass more and varied experiences don't we? Who wants to stay statically in one place forever. Put the gold nugget on the shelf and go out and find more.

Pigs Original Mix.
NOT Pigs original multi-channels, who knows what was on them?

Synths in 1976 were perfectly capable playing a 30 Hz note.
AFAIK professional studio magnetic tape could record it.

But consumer vinyl and speakers could not reproduce it.
High-pass filter applied during 1977 mastering? :unsure:

Exactly. At 23 minutes on side B the grooves were too close together to
fit a massive bass pedal tone. It was common then to HPF around 60Hz to make the mix easier (possible) to cut.

Will be interesting to see the vinyl rips of the 2018 mix. I’m guessing there will be a similar spectrum. Too bad they didn’t split it into 2 discs. You’d be left with the problem of being unable to split Dogs, but a 3 sided release is not unheard of.

Pigs On The Wing (Part I):
Pigs On The Wing (Part I).jpg

Sheep:
Sheep.jpg

If anyone here is using DVD-AE to extract audio from the Blu-Ray?
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between Title 1 and Title 3. Same number of tracks and same runtime.
Is it the same content?
I use MakeMKV + AudioMuxer and it confused the heck out of me as well, especially since Title 3 has more tracks but creates a much smaller MKV file.

Finally figured it out, though: Title 1 is just straight, uncompressed PCM at 24bit/192 kHz stereo and 24bit/96kHz surround. Title 3 is a combination of DTS HD-Master and lossy DTS core, all at 24bit/96kHz.

Pigs On The Wing (Part I), and Part II I think looks just mono (not even stereo). DSU or Surround Master upmixers do not generate almost anything for the Central/Rears.

The Animals upmixed versions around the net used to generate reverb on the rears, that made more surroundy this Intro PotW pt. 1

But the Guthrie 2018 5.1 mix (rest of tracks) is more discrete, good bass, and specially Nick Mason's drums have revived. I have almost the same sensation as when I hear Gavin Harrison drums on last PT "Give it Back".

But although for a while and from time to time Animals will indeed get play time, I gravitate more to say, MLOR for more frequent listening. Or Gilmour's Pompeii show.
That's too funny!
In the way that you and I agree on MLOR and Pompeii to be very satisfying of our personal musical preferences. MLOR has seemed to be the PF whipping boy, buy yet is way up there on my personal fav list along with Pompeii. My love of Pompeii is supported by the fact it wasn't just another PF greatest hits tour but the setlist included so much of David's solo work that I love.
The largest number of my like age friends only have interest in that 4 or 5 core PF albums with little to no interest in anything post The Wall, which just happens to be about my least fav modern PF release.
Just a curious situation to me. :unsure:

Closing I'll just say that my vote of 10 for Animals stands.
I'll admit I don't always follow QQ voting guidelines and tend to just rate albums going by my personal feelings on the release. For me the 2018 5.1 mix, from both the tonal balance to the channel mix just tickles my sweetspot.

Uh.... no not gonna happen.
Well, no.... I answered some questions over at the other forum from folks wanting to know how to get their BR player outputting in 5.1 to their amp when they already have it connected to their TV. Others have said that they want to hear what all the 5.1 fuss is about.

So while it is not going to be huge numbers, it will attract some. That first surround release of DSOTM in 5.1 as it originally appeared also attracted some surround listeners. It just did.

That's too funny!
In the way that you and I agree on MLOR and Pompeii to be very satisfying of our personal musical preferences. MLOR has seemed to be the PF whipping boy, buy yet is way up there on my personal fav list along with Pompeii. My love of Pompeii is supported by the fact it wasn't just another PF greatest hits tour but the setlist included so much of David's solo work that I love.
The largest number of my like age friends only have interest in that 4 or 5 core PF albums with little to no interest in anything post The Wall, which just happens to be about my least fav modern PF release.
Just a curious situation to me. :unsure:

Closing I'll just say that my vote of 10 for Animals stands.
I'll admit I don't always follow QQ voting guidelines and tend to just rate albums going by my personal feelings on the release. For me the 2018 5.1 mix, from both the tonal balance to the channel mix just tickles my sweetspot.
Great minds, and all that, Sal. :cool:
Was trying to remember if I ever heard any PF on AFN back then. (Armed Forces Network , or military radio stations, for you civilian minded people) . I sort of doubt it.

Back